RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data - Storage

This is a discussion on RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data - Storage ; I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could ...

  1. RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this
    drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked
    almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could access
    all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a couple of
    iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each time) , I
    decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a 360gb drive
    which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this pre-amble, here
    is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is it even possible,
    to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes it essentially a
    mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the data to still have
    the same drive letter assignments and partions. The reason for this is
    that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3 partitions. I'll stop
    here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and advise me to what
    important information I've left out that will help you help me :-) TIA.

  2. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    scooterp7@comcast.net wrote:

    > I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this
    > drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked
    > almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could access
    > all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a couple of iterations
    > of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each time) , I decided to
    > disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a 360gb drive which
    > hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this pre-amble, here is where
    > I need help. What is the procedure, or is it even possible, to copy the
    > drive contents in a manner that makes it essentially a mirror image.

    Yes, plenty of ways of doing that.

    > What I mean is, I would like all the data to still have
    > the same drive letter assignments and partions.

    Still easy to keep the same drive letter.

    > The reason for this is that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3 partitions.
    > I'll stop here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and advise me to what
    > important information I've left out that will help you help me :-)

    We've got all the necessary info.

    I'd personally buy True Image and use that for backups in the future.
    It will clone that 250G drive to the new 360G drive fine.

    Its possible to do it manually with XP alone, but you should really be backing
    your data up so there isnt much point in bothering with that approach.

  3. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    Download the Western Digital Diagnostics and run them on the drive, it may (MAY) be possible for it
    to repair any errors on the drive.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    wrote in message
    news:1170908420.268759.109550@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this
    > drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked
    > almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could access
    > all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a couple of
    > iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each time) , I
    > decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a 360gb drive
    > which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this pre-amble, here
    > is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is it even possible,
    > to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes it essentially a
    > mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the data to still have
    > the same drive letter assignments and partions. The reason for this is
    > that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3 partitions. I'll stop
    > here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and advise me to what
    > important information I've left out that will help you help me :-) TIA.

  4. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    wrote in message
    news:1170908420.268759.109550@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this
    > drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked
    > almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could access
    > all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a couple of
    > iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each time) , I
    > decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a 360gb drive
    > which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this pre-amble, here
    > is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is it even possible,
    > to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes it essentially a
    > mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the data to still have
    > the same drive letter assignments and partions. The reason for this is
    > that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3 partitions. I'll stop
    > here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and advise me to what
    > important information I've left out that will help you help me :-) TIA.

    Acronis True Image will do what you want.

    Art

  5. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    Good. Thanks. Another question though; should I first partition the
    drive in a similar manner as my failing drive? In my mind, I envision
    that the new drive should have three partitions just as the older
    (albeit they will be larger). Then, my hope is that the letter
    assighnments will not change as I install the new drive on the same
    cable as the broken one. I believe this should be the case because
    even though I've disconnected the failing drive, the drive letter
    assignments on the additional drives have remained unchanged.

    On Feb 7, 10:42 pm, "Art" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1170908420.268759.109550@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > >I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this
    > > drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked
    > > almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could access
    > > all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a couple of
    > > iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each time) , I
    > > decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a 360gb drive
    > > which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this pre-amble, here
    > > is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is it even possible,
    > > to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes it essentially a
    > > mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the data to still have
    > > the same drive letter assignments and partions. The reason for this is
    > > that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3 partitions. I'll stop
    > > here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and advise me to what
    > > important information I've left out that will help you help me :-) TIA.

    > Acronis True Image will do what you want.
    >
    > Art

  6. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    On 7 Feb 2007 20:20:20 -0800, scooterp7@comcast.net wrote:

    >I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this
    >drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked
    >almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could access
    >all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a couple of
    >iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each time) , I
    >decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a 360gb drive
    >which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this pre-amble, here
    >is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is it even possible,
    >to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes it essentially a
    >mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the data to still have
    >the same drive letter assignments and partions. The reason for this is
    >that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3 partitions. I'll stop
    >here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and advise me to what
    >important information I've left out that will help you help me :-) TIA.

    I've been using Norton Ghost. I have restored the same drive several
    times and also used it to transfer the image from an old drive to a
    new drive a couple of times. It has always worked without a glitch.

  7. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    scooterp7@comcast.net wrote:

    > Good. Thanks. Another question though; should I first
    > partition the drive in a similar manner as my failing drive?

    Nope, TI will do that all for you and either expand the partitions to fill
    the drive by default or allow you to specify the new sizes if you prefer.

    > In my mind, I envision that the new drive should have
    > three partitions just as the older (albeit they will be larger).
    > Then, my hope is that the letter assighnments will not change
    > as I install the new drive on the same cable as the broken one.

    Yes, that will work fine. Do it from the booted 'rescue'
    CD that TI allows you to create once you install it.

    > I believe this should be the case because even though I've
    > disconnected the failing drive, the drive letter assignments
    > on the additional drives have remained unchanged.

    Correct.

    > Art wrote:
    >> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1170908420.268759.109550@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    >>
    >>> I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on
    >>> this drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It
    >>> clicked almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i
    >>> could access all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a
    >>> couple of iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each
    >>> time) , I decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a
    >>> 360gb drive which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this
    >>> pre-amble, here is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is
    >>> it even possible, to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes
    >>> it essentially a mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the
    >>> data to still have the same drive letter assignments and partions.
    >>> The reason for this is that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3
    >>> partitions. I'll stop here, wait for all of you to stop laughing
    >>> and advise me to what important information I've left out that
    >>> will help you help me :-) TIA.

    >> Acronis True Image will do what you want.
    >>
    >> Art

  8. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    Ashton Crusher wrote:
    > On 7 Feb 2007 20:20:20 -0800, scooterp7@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    >> I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on
    >> this drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It
    >> clicked almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i
    >> could access all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a
    >> couple of iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each
    >> time) , I decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a
    >> 360gb drive which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this
    >> pre-amble, here is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is
    >> it even possible, to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes
    >> it essentially a mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the
    >> data to still have the same drive letter assignments and partions.
    >> The reason for this is that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3
    >> partitions. I'll stop here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and
    >> advise me to what important information I've left out that will help
    >> you help me :-) TIA.

    > I've been using Norton Ghost. I have restored the same drive several
    > times and also used it to transfer the image from an old drive to a
    > new drive a couple of times. It has always worked without a glitch.

    True Image is much better for what he wants to do, particularly
    the maintenance of the existing partition lettering.

  9. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:44:06 +1100, "Rod Speed"
    wrote:

    >Ashton Crusher wrote:
    >> On 7 Feb 2007 20:20:20 -0800, scooterp7@comcast.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on
    >>> this drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It
    >>> clicked almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i
    >>> could access all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a
    >>> couple of iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each
    >>> time) , I decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a
    >>> 360gb drive which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this
    >>> pre-amble, here is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is
    >>> it even possible, to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes
    >>> it essentially a mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the
    >>> data to still have the same drive letter assignments and partions.
    >>> The reason for this is that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3
    >>> partitions. I'll stop here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and
    >>> advise me to what important information I've left out that will help
    >>> you help me :-) TIA.

    >> I've been using Norton Ghost. I have restored the same drive several
    >> times and also used it to transfer the image from an old drive to a
    >> new drive a couple of times. It has always worked without a glitch.

    >True Image is much better for what he wants to do, particularly
    >the maintenance of the existing partition lettering.

    An image is an image, how could True Image be any different other then
    it's interface??

  10. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    Ashton Crusher wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Ashton Crusher wrote
    >>> scooterp7@comcast.net wrote

    >>> I've been using Norton Ghost. I have restored the same drive several
    >>> times and also used it to transfer the image from an old drive to a new
    >>> drive a couple of times. It has always worked without a glitch.

    >> True Image is much better for what he wants to do, particularly
    >> the maintenance of the existing partition lettering.

    > An image is an image,

    He aint talking about an image, he's talking about a clone.

    > how could True Image be any different other then it's interface??

    He's talking about a clone, not an image. Ghost is completely ****ed for cloning.

  11. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ashton Crusher wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:44:06 +1100, "Rod Speed"
    > wrote:

    >>Ashton Crusher wrote:

    >>> I've been using Norton Ghost. I have restored the same drive several
    >>> times and also used it to transfer the image from an old drive to a
    >>> new drive a couple of times. It has always worked without a glitch.

    >>True Image is much better for what he wants to do, particularly
    >>the maintenance of the existing partition lettering.
    >>

    > An image is an image, how could True Image be any different other then
    > it's interface??

    Because in the MS world an image is not an image. Metadata is added
    and incompatibility to the competition is a business goal.

    Arno

  12. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    Just connect the new drive in place of the old one. Partition and
    format the new drive using Disk Management. Then reconnect the old
    drive to the motherboard, and drag and drop data from the old drive to
    the new drive.

    On 7 Feb 2007 20:20:20 -0800, scooterp7@comcast.net wrote:

    >I have a relatively new wd 250gb sata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this
    >drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked
    >almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could access
    >all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a couple of
    >iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each time) , I
    >decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a 360gb drive
    >which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this pre-amble, here
    >is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is it even possible,
    >to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes it essentially a
    >mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the data to still have
    >the same drive letter assignments and partions. The reason for this is
    >that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3 partitions. I'll stop
    >here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and advise me to what
    >important information I've left out that will help you help me :-) TIA.

  13. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    Alrighty, the new drive arrived yesterday(320gb wd "ys"
    enterprise).I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but, I got
    this drive from zipzoomfly for $102.50 + $2.00 for 2 day shipping.
    Ordered on wed afternoon and it arrived fri. morning. Anywho, I used
    True Image v.10 and with the automatic clone disc, everything went
    flawless. However, Xp wouldn't recognize the new drive until I
    formatted it. I'm not sure if TI would have done the formatting as
    part of the "clone" process and if it would, I wonder how much longer
    it would have taken. As it was, after formatting , it took TI about an
    hour and 45 mins to clone nearly 220gb. Now if only I can find my
    receipt for my WD drive and try my luck with warranty. It was an SE16.
    Hard to believe it would fail so quickly(approx 9 mos.). Thanks for
    all the help. Still cannot see any drive letter assignments under
    "Disk Management" though :-).

    On Feb 10, 6:21 am, Andy <1...@2.3> wrote:
    > Just connect the new drive in place of the old one. Partition and
    > format the new drive using Disk Management. Then reconnect the old
    > drive to the motherboard, and drag and drop data from the old drive to
    > the new drive.
    >
    > On 7 Feb 2007 20:20:20 -0800, scoote...@comcast.net wrote:
    >

    > >I have a relatively newwd250gbsata drive (my OS, XP, is not on this
    > >drive) that began clicking after coming out of hibernation. It clicked
    > >almost a dozen times before it went back to normal and i could access
    > >all of the drives (partitions) and their data. After a couple of
    > >iterations of shut-downs and start-ups (it clicked each time) , I
    > >decided to disconnect the drive for now. I purchased a 360gb drive
    > >which hopefully will be here Friday. So,after all this pre-amble, here
    > >is where I need help. What is the procedure, or is it even possible,
    > >to copy the drive contents in a manner that makes it essentially a
    > >mirror image. What I mean is, I would like all the data to still have
    > >the same drive letter assignments and partions. The reason for this is
    > >that i had programs installed on 2 of the 3 partitions. I'll stop
    > >here, wait for all of you to stop laughing and advise me to what
    > >important information I've left out that will help you help me :-) TIA.- Hide quoted text -

  14. Re: RATS!! HDD is starting to "click" - need ideas on copying data

    scooterp7@comcast.net wrote:

    > Alrighty, the new drive arrived yesterday(320gb wd "ys" enterprise).
    > I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but, I got this drive from
    > zipzoomfly for $102.50 + $2.00 for 2 day shipping. Ordered on wed
    > afternoon and it arrived fri. morning. Anywho, I used True Image v.10
    > and with the automatic clone disc, everything went flawless.

    > However, Xp wouldn't recognize the new drive until I formatted it. I'm not
    > sure if TI would have done the formatting as part of the "clone" process

    Yes it does.

    > and if it would, I wonder how much longer it would have taken.

    No extra time at all.

    > As it was, after formatting , it took TI about
    > an hour and 45 mins to clone nearly 220gb.

    > Now if only I can find my receipt for my
    > WD drive and try my luck with warranty.

    You dont necessarily need the receipt.

    > It was an SE16. Hard to believe it would fail so quickly(approx 9 mos.).

    Worth checking the drive temp on the hottest days
    in summer, plenty run much too hot for a long life.

    > Thanks for all the help. Still cannot see any drive
    > letter assignments under "Disk Management" though :-).

    Thats a setting if you really care.