Error installing a 2nd HD... HELP!! - Storage

This is a discussion on Error installing a 2nd HD... HELP!! - Storage ; Hello everyone. I come here to ask for help regarding a Hard Drive-related error. You see, my friend has this Seagate 20GB HD NTFS format with WinXP Pro installed and since his computer's not functioning due to a faulty Video ...

  1. Error installing a 2nd HD... HELP!!

    Hello everyone. I come here to ask for help regarding a Hard
    Drive-related error.

    You see, my friend has this Seagate 20GB HD NTFS format with WinXP Pro
    installed and since his computer's not functioning due to a faulty
    Video Card, he gave me his HD so I could use it as my second HD.
    So I installed the Hard Drive and place the jumpers to set the new
    drive as PRIMARY SLAVE since that's what the instructions on the HD's
    label instructed.

    My computer by the way has a Maxtor 40GB HD FAT32 Format running on
    WinME as my Primary Master with a DVD-ROM Drive set as Secondary
    Master while my CD Burner Drive set as Secondary Slave. These are my
    settings BEFORE I installed the new drive.

    Now, when I boot my PC, suddenly, the diagnostic screen scans for my
    RAM per MB count, which usually does not happen. Next, after the PC
    reads my Samsung HD as Primary Master, my PC takes time to read the
    other drives and then suddenly displays an error message saying
    there's a conflict in some-code-I-dont-understand regarding PCI slot
    2. Now I frowned since this is the first time I ever encountered this
    kind of error after installing a few other temporary 2nd HDs. So I
    removed the new drive to try figure out what happened. The error still
    persisted after a lot of reboots even though I restored my BIOS to
    it's original settings and completely dettached the new HD. I resumed
    Hardware Window and said it found PCI Slot 2 as a new Hardware that
    needs to be installed. I chose to search for the best drivers
    available since it was recommended, but after a while it displayed a
    message saying it did not properly installed the new hardware... and
    my DVD Drive and CD Drive are acting weird! Now, I have no clue
    what to do, so I decided to ask other people's help since I'm a rookie
    at this level of techy stuff.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Error installing a 2nd HD... HELP!!

    masterely wrote:
    > Hello everyone. I come here to ask for help regarding a Hard
    > Drive-related error.
    >
    > You see, my friend has this Seagate 20GB HD NTFS format with WinXP Pro
    > installed and since his computer's not functioning due to a faulty
    > Video Card, he gave me his HD so I could use it as my second HD.
    > So I installed the Hard Drive and place the jumpers to set the new
    > drive as PRIMARY SLAVE since that's what the instructions on the HD's
    > label instructed.
    >
    > My computer by the way has a Maxtor 40GB HD FAT32 Format running on
    > WinME as my Primary Master with a DVD-ROM Drive set as Secondary
    > Master while my CD Burner Drive set as Secondary Slave. These are my
    > settings BEFORE I installed the new drive.
    >
    > Now, when I boot my PC, suddenly, the diagnostic screen scans for my
    > RAM per MB count, which usually does not happen. Next, after the PC
    > reads my Samsung HD as Primary Master, my PC takes time to read the
    > other drives and then suddenly displays an error message saying
    > there's a conflict in some-code-I-dont-understand regarding PCI slot
    > 2. Now I frowned since this is the first time I ever encountered this
    > kind of error after installing a few other temporary 2nd HDs. So I
    > removed the new drive to try figure out what happened. The error still
    > persisted after a lot of reboots even though I restored my BIOS to
    > it's original settings and completely dettached the new HD. I resumed
    > Hardware Window and said it found PCI Slot 2 as a new Hardware that
    > needs to be installed. I chose to search for the best drivers
    > available since it was recommended, but after a while it displayed a
    > message saying it did not properly installed the new hardware... and
    > my DVD Drive and CD Drive are acting weird! Now, I have no clue
    > what to do, so I decided to ask other people's help since I'm a rookie
    > at this level of techy stuff.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    My guess is you disturbed whatever is in PCI slot 2 while installing
    the drive.

  3. Re: Error installing a 2nd HD... HELP!!

    Previously CJT wrote:
    > masterely wrote:
    >> Hello everyone. I come here to ask for help regarding a Hard
    >> Drive-related error.
    >>
    >> You see, my friend has this Seagate 20GB HD NTFS format with WinXP Pro
    >> installed and since his computer's not functioning due to a faulty
    >> Video Card, he gave me his HD so I could use it as my second HD.
    >> So I installed the Hard Drive and place the jumpers to set the new
    >> drive as PRIMARY SLAVE since that's what the instructions on the HD's
    >> label instructed.
    >>
    >> My computer by the way has a Maxtor 40GB HD FAT32 Format running on
    >> WinME as my Primary Master with a DVD-ROM Drive set as Secondary
    >> Master while my CD Burner Drive set as Secondary Slave. These are my
    >> settings BEFORE I installed the new drive.
    >>
    >> Now, when I boot my PC, suddenly, the diagnostic screen scans for my
    >> RAM per MB count, which usually does not happen. Next, after the PC
    >> reads my Samsung HD as Primary Master, my PC takes time to read the
    >> other drives and then suddenly displays an error message saying
    >> there's a conflict in some-code-I-dont-understand regarding PCI slot
    >> 2. Now I frowned since this is the first time I ever encountered this
    >> kind of error after installing a few other temporary 2nd HDs. So I
    >> removed the new drive to try figure out what happened. The error still
    >> persisted after a lot of reboots even though I restored my BIOS to
    >> it's original settings and completely dettached the new HD. I resumed
    >> Hardware Window and said it found PCI Slot 2 as a new Hardware that
    >> needs to be installed. I chose to search for the best drivers
    >> available since it was recommended, but after a while it displayed a
    >> message saying it did not properly installed the new hardware... and
    >> my DVD Drive and CD Drive are acting weird! Now, I have no clue
    >> what to do, so I decided to ask other people's help since I'm a rookie
    >> at this level of techy stuff.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > My guess is you disturbed whatever is in PCI slot 2 while installing
    > the drive.

    I second than. Other alternative is a marginal PSU that was
    sent over the edge by the extra load.

    Arno

  4. Re: Error installing a 2nd HD... HELP!!

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:52o5aeF1peirdU2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously CJT wrote:
    > > masterely wrote:
    > > > Hello everyone. I come here to ask for help regarding a Hard
    > > > Drive-related error.
    > > >
    > > > You see, my friend has this Seagate 20GB HD NTFS format with WinXP
    > > > Pro installed and since his computer's not functioning due to a faulty
    > > > Video Card, he gave me his HD so I could use it as my second HD.
    > > > So I installed the Hard Drive and place the jumpers to set the new
    > > > drive as PRIMARY SLAVE since that's what the instructions on the HD's
    > > > label instructed.
    > > >
    > > > My computer by the way has a Maxtor 40GB HD FAT32 Format running on
    > > > WinME as my Primary Master with a DVD-ROM Drive set as Secondary
    > > > Master while my CD Burner Drive set as Secondary Slave. These are my
    > > > settings BEFORE I installed the new drive.
    > > >
    > > > Now, when I boot my PC, suddenly, the diagnostic screen scans for my
    > > > RAM per MB count, which usually does not happen. Next, after the PC
    > > > reads my Samsung HD as Primary Master, my PC takes time to read the
    > > > other drives and then suddenly displays an error message saying
    > > > there's a conflict in some-code-I-dont-understand regarding PCI slot
    > > > 2. Now I frowned since this is the first time I ever encountered this
    > > > kind of error after installing a few other temporary 2nd HDs. So I
    > > > removed the new drive to try figure out what happened. The error still
    > > > persisted after a lot of reboots even though I restored my BIOS to
    > > > it's original settings and completely dettached the new HD. I resumed
    > > > Hardware Window and said it found PCI Slot 2 as a new Hardware that
    > > > needs to be installed. I chose to search for the best drivers
    > > > available since it was recommended, but after a while it displayed a
    > > > message saying it did not properly installed the new hardware... and
    > > > my DVD Drive and CD Drive are acting weird! Now, I have no
    > > > clue what to do, so I decided to ask other people's help since I'm a
    > > > rookie at this level of techy stuff.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.
    > > >

    > > My guess is you disturbed whatever is in PCI slot 2 while installing
    > > the drive.

    > I second than.

    Typical Babblebot response when he hasn't got a clue, as always.

    > Other alternative is a marginal PSU that
    > was sent over the edge by the extra load.

    Pity the problem persists after the drive is removed again

    > Arno

  5. Re: Error installing a 2nd HD... HELP!!

    masterely wrote:

    > Hello everyone. I come here to ask for help regarding a Hard Drive-related error.

    I doubt it is a hard drive related error, looks like something else entirely.

    > You see, my friend has this Seagate 20GB HD NTFS format with WinXP
    > Pro installed and since his computer's not functioning due to a faulty
    > Video Card, he gave me his HD so I could use it as my second HD.

    > So I installed the Hard Drive and place the jumpers
    > to set the new drive as PRIMARY SLAVE since that's
    > what the instructions on the HD's label instructed.

    The label didnt say that.

    > My computer by the way has a Maxtor 40GB HD FAT32 Format
    > running on WinME as my Primary Master with a DVD-ROM Drive
    > set as Secondary Master while my CD Burner Drive set as Secondary
    > Slave. These are my settings BEFORE I installed the new drive.

    You dont say what you did with the original primary slave
    or where you actually installed the 'new' drive cable wise.

    > Now, when I boot my PC, suddenly, the diagnostic screen scans
    > for my RAM per MB count, which usually does not happen.

    Then you must have somehow reset the bios for that to start happening.

    > Next, after the PC reads my Samsung HD as Primary Master,

    Where has the Samsung come from ? You havent mentioned it before.

    > my PC takes time to read the other drives and then suddenly displays
    > an error message saying there's a conflict in some-code-I-dont-understand
    > regarding PCI slot 2.

    Likely the result of the bios being reset, which produced the full memory check too.

    > Now I frowned since this is the first time I ever encountered
    > this kind of error after installing a few other temporary 2nd HDs.

    You presumably didnt reset the bios before, or got the full memory check either.

    > So I removed the new drive to try figure out what happened.
    > The error still persisted after a lot of reboots even though I
    > restored my BIOS to it's original settings

    I doubt you actually did that even tho you think you did.

    > and completely dettached the new HD. I resumed loading
    > WinME and while windows was loading, it displayed a
    > New Hardware Window and said it found PCI Slot 2
    > as a new Hardware that needs to be installed.

    What is very unusual, you sure it wasnt talking
    about the CARD in PCI Slot 2 instead ?

    > I chose to search for the best drivers available since it was
    > recommended, but after a while it displayed a message
    > saying it did not properly installed the new hardware...

    What have you actually got installed in PCI Slot 2 ?

    > and my DVD Drive and CD Drive are acting weird!

    Weird in what way ?

    > Now, I have no clue what to do, so I decided to ask other
    > people's help since I'm a rookie at this level of techy stuff.

    > Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread