SMART data from USB drives - Storage

This is a discussion on SMART data from USB drives - Storage ; It seems Everest can't get the SMART data from USB drives. Can anything do it? Thanks. -- Reply in group, but if emailing add another zero, and remove the last word....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. SMART data from USB drives

    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add another
    zero, and remove the last word.

  2. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Tom Del Rosso wrote:

    > It seems Everest can't get the SMART data from USB drives.

    It isnt as absolute as that, but certainly it cant get the smart data from all drives that other
    stuff can.

    > Can anything do it?

    try smartctl

  3. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > It seems Everest can't get the SMART data from USB drives. Can anything do
    > it? Thanks.

    No. Fundamentally impossible. Remove the drive from the enclosure
    and connect it directly via (S)ATA.

    Arno

  4. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:52lc84F1p5140U2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > > It seems Everest can't get the SMART data from USB drives. Can anything do
    > > it? Thanks.

    > No. Fundamentally impossible.

    Wotanidjut.

    > Remove the drive from the enclosure
    > and connect it directly via (S)ATA.
    >
    > Arno

  5. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    >
    >> It seems Everest can't get the SMART data from USB drives.

    > It isnt as absolute as that, but certainly it cant get the smart data
    > from all drives that other stuff can.
    >
    >> Can anything do it?

    > try smartctl

    Thanks. It looks powerful, but after playing with the options for a while I
    can't get it to see the USB device.

    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add another
    zero, and remove the last word.

  6. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    >>
    >>> It seems Everest can't get the SMART data from USB drives.

    >> It isnt as absolute as that, but certainly it cant get the smart data
    >> from all drives that other stuff can.
    >>
    >>> Can anything do it?

    >> try smartctl

    > Thanks. It looks powerful, but after playing with the options for a while I
    > can't get it to see the USB device.

    That is as expected. Despite of what some pople here claim, SMART does not
    work over USB. You need to remove the drive and connect it via ATA or
    SATA, depending on the drive interface.

    Arno

  7. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Tom Del Rosso wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Tom Del Rosso wrote

    >>> It seems Everest can't get the SMART data from USB drives.

    >> It isnt as absolute as that, but certainly it cant get
    >> the smart data from all drives that other stuff can.

    >>> Can anything do it?

    >> try smartctl

    > Thanks. It looks powerful, but after playing with the
    > options for a while I can't get it to see the USB device.

    Yeah, its much harder with USB. Not impossible tho, Arno has never had a clue.

  8. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    > That is as expected. Despite of what some pople here claim, SMART
    > does not work over USB. You need to remove the drive and connect it
    > via ATA or SATA, depending on the drive interface.

    I would take this simple route, but the case is designed not to be opened.

    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add another
    zero, and remove the last word.

  9. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message

    > Yeah, its much harder with USB. Not impossible tho, Arno has never
    > had a clue.

    Do you treat it like a SCSI?

    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add another
    zero, and remove the last word.

  10. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    >>
    >> That is as expected. Despite of what some pople here claim, SMART
    >> does not work over USB. You need to remove the drive and connect it
    >> via ATA or SATA, depending on the drive interface.

    > I would take this simple route, but the case is designed not to be opened.

    Well, then you will not get SMART values. The only other option that
    works to some degree is to read the complete disk and measure the
    time. If it increases, chances are the drive has problems. Far less
    reliable, but about the only thing you can do. I used to do this in an
    automated fashion before Linux had SMART support.

    Arno

  11. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Yeah, its much harder with USB. Not impossible tho, Arno has never
    >> had a clue.

    > Do you treat it like a SCSI?

    USB uses the SCSI storage command set. It does not use the SCSI
    SMART command set and it does not do ATA-to-SCSI SMART attribute
    tanslation, at least not in any standardized way. Some vendors
    may actually have non-stanrdadized passthrough extensions, but
    they would only be usable with software from the USB device vendor.

    Rod is making the idea of generic SMART support on USB up to
    appear knowledgeable. It does not exist. So far he has not even
    demonstrated a single case of non-standardized vendor specific
    support.

    Arno

  12. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:52o5dmF1peirdU3@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:

    > > > It isnt as absolute as that, but certainly it cant get the smart data
    > > > from all drives that other stuff can.

    > > > try smartctl

    > > Thanks. It looks powerful, but after playing with the options for a while I
    > > can't get it to see the USB device.

    > That is as expected. Despite of what some pople here claim,

    > SMART does not work over USB.

    Wotanidjut.
    It depends on what USB bridge and what USB driver.
    All kinds of data/commands can be sent over USB.
    The problem is the program interface in the host and the firmware
    interface in the devices to get the necessary commands to the drive
    and data from the drive. If these aren't in place then you're ****ed.

    > You need to remove the drive and connect it via ATA or SATA,
    > depending on the drive interface.

    No, really?

    > Arno

  13. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Tom Del Rosso wrote
    > Arno Wagner wrote

    >> That is as expected. Despite of what some pople here claim,
    >> SMART does not work over USB. You need to remove the drive
    >> and connect it via ATA or SATA, depending on the drive interface.

    > I would take this simple route, but the case is designed not to be opened.

    Bet it is, its just not obvious how to open it.

  14. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Tom Del Rosso wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> Yeah, its much harder with USB. Not impossible tho, Arno has never had a clue.

    > Do you treat it like a SCSI?

    Nope, you need a driver that can do it with the bridge in the case.

    And thats a theoretical possibility, bet ****nert cant actually list one that does.

  15. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    >> "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, its much harder with USB. Not impossible tho, Arno has never
    >>> had a clue.

    >> Do you treat it like a SCSI?

    > USB uses the SCSI storage command set.

    No it doesnt.

    > It does not use the SCSI SMART command set and it does not
    > do ATA-to-SCSI SMART attribute tanslation, at least not in any
    > standardized way. Some vendors may actually have non-stanrdadized
    > passthrough extensions, but they would only be usable with software
    > from the USB device vendor.

    > Rod is making the idea of generic SMART
    > support on USB up to appear knowledgeable.

    I never ever said a word about generic SMART support on USB.

    And I have said repeatedly that I prefer external drives that support
    eSATA as well as USB, because that makes SMART report trivial.

    > It does not exist.

    Never ever said it did.

    > So far he has not even demonstrated a single case
    > of non-standardized vendor specific support.

    Never ever said that is available either.

  16. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:52p6d5F1p2qiaU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > > "Arno Wagner" me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:52o5dmF1peirdU3@mid.individual.net
    > > >
    > > > That is as expected. Despite of what some pople here claim, SMART
    > > > does not work over USB. You need to remove the drive and connect it
    > > > via ATA or SATA, depending on the drive interface.

    > > I would take this simple route, but the case is designed not to be opened.

    > Well, then you will not get SMART values. The only other option that
    > works to some degree is to read the complete disk and measure the
    > time. If it increases, chances are the drive has problems. Far less
    > reliable, but about the only thing you can do.

    > I used to do this in an automated fashion before Linux had SMART support.

    Yep, you are indeed an idjut.

    > Arno

  17. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:52p6lbF1p2qiaU2@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > > "Rod Speed" rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:52o822F1otrrbU1@mid.individual.net
    > > >
    > > > Yeah, its much harder with USB. Not impossible tho, Arno has never
    > > > had a clue.

    > > Do you treat it like a SCSI?

    > USB uses the SCSI storage command set.

    USB doesn't. USB mass storage devices do. And that is just one layer.

    > It does not use the SCSI SMART command set

    Idjut. Obviously beause there isn't any.

    > and it does not do ATA-to-SCSI SMART attribute tanslation,

    Which is what a bridge device would have to do and has nothing
    whatsoever to do with USB and whatever protocol it uses.

    > at least not in any standardized way.

    And why bother if you can wrap the ATA commands in USB packets
    and just pass them through to the ATA device.

    > Some vendors may actually have non-stanrdadized passthrough extensions,
    > but they would only be usable with software from the USB device vendor.

    So much for that "Fundamentally impossible".

    > Rod is making the idea of generic SMART support on USB up to
    > appear knowledgeable.

    And you do exactly the same for the opposite.
    Neither of you babblebots own the truth.

    > It does not exist. So far he has not even demonstrated a single case of
    > non-standardized vendor specific support.

    Like you can prove that they don't exist.

    > Arno

  18. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    It's what you implied when you said :
    "it cant get the smart data from all drives that other stuff can".

    > Never ever said it did.

    Weasel.

    > > So far he has not even demonstrated a single case
    > > of non-standardized vendor specific support.

    > Never ever said that is available either.

    It's what you implied when you said :
    " it cant get the smart data from all drives that other stuff can".

  19. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:52pbooF1p521fU1@mid.individual.net
    > Tom Del Rosso wrote
    > > Rod Speed wrote

    > > > Yeah, its much harder with USB. Not impossible tho, Arno has never had a clue.

    > > Do you treat it like a SCSI?

    > Nope, you need a driver that can do it with the bridge in the case.

    That's not what you said before.

    > And thats a theoretical possibility,

    Right, it depends on the bridge supporting it too.

    > bet ****nert cant actually list one that does.

    He doesn't have to, he didn't make that foolish claim, you did.
    And now you are weaseling out again, trying to blame him for it.

  20. Re: SMART data from USB drives

    Fred wrote
    > zappo wrote
    >> Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>> Tom Del Rosso wrote

    >>> USB uses the SCSI storage command set.

    >> No it doesnt.

    >>> It does not use the SCSI SMART command set and it does not
    >>> do ATA-to-SCSI SMART attribute tanslation, at least not in any
    >>> standardized way. Some vendors may actually have non-stanrdadized
    >>> passthrough extensions, but they would only be usable with software
    >>> from the USB device vendor.

    >>> Rod is making the idea of generic SMART
    >>> support on USB up to appear knowledgeable.

    >> I never ever said a word about generic SMART support on USB.

    > You did imply it when you said :
    > "it cant get the smart data from all drives that other stuff can".

    Like hell I did. That wasnt even about generic SMART support on USB,
    it was JUST a comment that Everest can fail to show the SMART data
    with some INTERNAL drives, nothing to do with USB at all.

    Silly little ****wit pseudokraut.