About how long to long format 500 GB My Book - Storage

This is a discussion on About how long to long format 500 GB My Book - Storage ; Hi, I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be expected to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method ...

  1. About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    Hi,

    I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to
    NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be expected
    to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first time around
    to catch any bad sectors.

    My system:
    Dell 8300 BIOS A07
    1.25 GB RAM
    2.8 GHz Intel
    Win XP Pro SP 2

    Would the overall time be greatly affected by my doing other tasks on
    other drives while it is formatting? Does it matter if other USB
    external devices are attached?

    Thanks everyone, Steve

  2. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    I am going to guess around an hour, I just did a long format on a 250 and it seemed like a half hour
    to 45 minutes but I didn't watch the exact time.
    --
    Dave Vair
    CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

    wrote in message
    news:1170448105.751912.170640@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to
    > NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be expected
    > to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first time around
    > to catch any bad sectors.
    >
    > My system:
    > Dell 8300 BIOS A07
    > 1.25 GB RAM
    > 2.8 GHz Intel
    > Win XP Pro SP 2
    >
    > Would the overall time be greatly affected by my doing other tasks on
    > other drives while it is formatting? Does it matter if other USB
    > external devices are attached?
    >
    > Thanks everyone, Steve

  3. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    steverossiter@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to
    > NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be expected
    > to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first time around
    > to catch any bad sectors.

    Waste of time now with modern hard drives that do that stuff for themselves.

    > My system:
    > Dell 8300 BIOS A07
    > 1.25 GB RAM
    > 2.8 GHz Intel
    > Win XP Pro SP 2

    > Would the overall time be greatly affected by my doing
    > other tasks on other drives while it is formatting?

    Depends on what those other tasks involve.

    > Does it matter if other USB external devices are attached?

    Nope.

  4. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    I wouldn't bother -- never do.

    Accidently did one on an internal 750gb drive and gave up and went to lunch.
    Don't know how long it ran, but at least 90 minutes.
    wrote in message
    news:1170448105.751912.170640@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to
    > NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be expected
    > to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first time around
    > to catch any bad sectors.
    >
    > My system:
    > Dell 8300 BIOS A07
    > 1.25 GB RAM
    > 2.8 GHz Intel
    > Win XP Pro SP 2
    >
    > Would the overall time be greatly affected by my doing other tasks on
    > other drives while it is formatting? Does it matter if other USB
    > external devices are attached?
    >
    > Thanks everyone, Steve

  5. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    I believe that the My Book uses the Western Digital hard drive.
    Get the WD Data lifeguard tools (for Windows) and us it to format the hard
    drive.
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1
    It's way faster to format a hard drive using the software available from the
    hard drive manufacturer over Microsoft's formatting software.

    Western Digital software for Western Digital hard drives
    Seagate Software for Seagate drives
    You get the picture?

    I use Seagate's Diskwizard software for my Seagate drives.

    wrote in message
    news:1170448105.751912.170640@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to
    > NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be expected
    > to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first time around
    > to catch any bad sectors.
    >
    > My system:
    > Dell 8300 BIOS A07
    > 1.25 GB RAM
    > 2.8 GHz Intel
    > Win XP Pro SP 2
    >
    > Would the overall time be greatly affected by my doing other tasks on
    > other drives while it is formatting? Does it matter if other USB
    > external devices are attached?
    >
    > Thanks everyone, Steve

  6. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    > It's way faster to format a hard drive using the software available from the
    > hard drive manufacturer over Microsoft's formatting software.

    Thanks for this tip and everyone else for theirs, Steve.

  7. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > steverossiter@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to
    >> NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be
    >> expected to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first
    >> time around to catch any bad sectors.

    > Waste of time now with modern hard drives that do that stuff for
    > themselves.

    But the drive needs to have a reason to look at each sector, no? The format
    will give it a reason.

    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add another
    zero, and remove the last word.

  8. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    Tom Del Rosso wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> steverossiter@sbcglobal.net wrote

    >>> I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External
    >>> to NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be
    >>> expected to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first
    >>> time around to catch any bad sectors.

    >> Waste of time now with modern hard drives that do that stuff for themselves.

    > But the drive needs to have a reason to look at each sector, no?

    Nope, it keeps track of what sectors get accessed.

    > The format will give it a reason.

    Pointless, use will do that fine.

  9. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> steverossiter@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to
    >>> NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be
    >>> expected to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first
    >>> time around to catch any bad sectors.

    >> Waste of time now with modern hard drives that do that stuff for
    >> themselves.

    > But the drive needs to have a reason to look at each sector, no?
    > The format will give it a reason.

    True. But if you want to do that, run a long SMART selftest
    instead. The problem with the long format is that you will not see
    problems the drive could correct. Basically the format-test will not
    tell you anything, unless the drive has really serious problems. The
    SMART self-test will, as it will also change the SMART attributes. The
    drive itself will tell you how long it is expected to take for the
    long self-test. Unfortunately you will have to remove the drive from
    its enclosure and connect it directly via (S)ATA, since SMART
    does not work over USB (the SMART stuff is not part of the USB
    storage command set....).

    Arno

  10. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    Tom Del Rosso wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> steverossiter@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I wanted to format a new 500 GB My Book Essential USB 2.0 External to
    >>> NTFS and was curious as to how long a "long format" should be
    >>> expected to take. I am using the Long vs. Quick method this first
    >>> time around to catch any bad sectors.

    >> Waste of time now with modern hard drives that do that stuff for
    >> themselves.

    > But the drive needs to have a reason to look at each sector, no? The format
    > will give it a reason.

    Not any more, that's done at the factory. Use quick format. I wouldn't
    bother with a full format/scan unless I suspected there was something
    wrong with the HDD.

    As always, YMMV

  11. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:52lciiF1p5140U3@mid.individual.net
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Tom Del Rosso wrote:

    > > > Waste of time now with modern hard drives that do that stuff for
    > > > themselves.

    > > But the drive needs to have a reason to look at each sector, no?
    > > The format will give it a reason.

    > True. But if you want to do that, run a long SMART selftest instead.

    > The problem with the long format is that you will not see problems the
    > drive could correct.

    There is no such difference.

    > Basically the format-test will not
    > tell you anything, unless the drive has really serious problems.

    Nonsense.
    The offline test doesn't do anything more that the drive would do during
    normal operations.

    > The SMART self-test will, as it will also change the SMART attributes.

    So will any read/write action to the drive as long as SMART is active.

    > The drive itself will tell you how long it is expected to take for the
    > long self-test. Unfortunately you will have to remove the drive from
    > its enclosure and connect it directly via (S)ATA, since SMART
    > does not work over USB (the SMART stuff is not part of the USB
    > storage command set....).

    Exposing you to the risk of killing it in the process.

    > Arno

  12. Re: About how long to long format 500 GB My Book

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Tom Del Rosso
    > wrote:
    >> "Rod Speed" wrote in message

    >>> Waste of time now with modern hard drives that do that stuff for
    >>> themselves.

    >> But the drive needs to have a reason to look at each sector, no?
    >> The format will give it a reason.

    > True. But if you want to do that, run a long SMART selftest
    > instead. The problem with the long format is that you will not see
    > problems the drive could correct. Basically the format-test will not
    > tell you anything, unless the drive has really serious problems.

    What I had in mind was checking the SMART data after the long format -- not
    expecting the format program to report anything -- but a long SMART test
    will do the same I guess.

    > The
    > SMART self-test will, as it will also change the SMART attributes. The
    > drive itself will tell you how long it is expected to take for the
    > long self-test. Unfortunately you will have to remove the drive from
    > its enclosure and connect it directly via (S)ATA, since SMART
    > does not work over USB (the SMART stuff is not part of the USB
    > storage command set....).

    Thanks.

    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add another
    zero, and remove the last word.

+ Reply to Thread