How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller? - Storage

This is a discussion on How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller? - Storage ; Hello! How to make sure that Windows XP pro sp2 uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to Promise Ultra 100 TX2? Promise Ultra 100 TX2 bios shows that all 3 HDDs are connected at UDMA5. Best regards, Dima +79035093892...

  1. How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Hello!
    How to make sure that Windows XP pro sp2 uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs
    connected to Promise Ultra 100 TX2? Promise Ultra 100 TX2 bios shows
    that all 3 HDDs are connected at UDMA5.
    Best regards,
    Dima
    +79035093892

  2. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Dima wrote:

    > How to make sure that Windows XP pro sp2 uses UDMA5
    > for my 3 HDDs connected to Promise Ultra 100 TX2?

    You've done that below.

    > Promise Ultra 100 TX2 bios shows that all 3 HDDs are connected at UDMA5.

  3. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    What do you mean?
    My Windows XP used PIO for my DVD drives, although mainboard BIOS was
    using UDMA2 for them!
    Best regards,
    Dima
    On Jan 24, 12:27 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Dima wrote:
    > > How to make sure that Windows XP pro sp2 uses UDMA5
    > > for my 3 HDDs connected to Promise Ultra 100 TX2?You've done that below.

    > > Promise Ultra 100 TX2 bios shows that all 3 HDDs are connected at UDMA5.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

  4. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Dima wrote:

    > What do you mean?

    That the Promise bios says that its using DMA for the HDs.

    > My Windows XP used PIO for my DVD drives,
    > although mainboard BIOS was using UDMA2 for them!

    Thats a different issue,

    > Best regards,
    > Dima
    > On Jan 24, 12:27 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> Dima wrote:
    >>> How to make sure that Windows XP pro sp2 uses UDMA5
    >>> for my 3 HDDs connected to Promise Ultra 100 TX2?You've done that
    >>> below.

    >>> Promise Ultra 100 TX2 bios shows that all 3 HDDs are connected at
    >>> UDMA5.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

  5. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Thank Rod for your reply!
    How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?
    Can Windows XP erroneously use another interface speed than the
    Promise BIOS?
    Best regards,
    Dima
    On Jan 27, 11:44 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Dima wrote:
    > > What do you mean?That the Promise bios says that its using DMA for the HDs.

    > > My Windows XP used PIO for my DVD drives,
    > > although mainboard BIOS was using UDMA2 for them!Thats a different issue,

    > > Best regards,
    > > Dima

  6. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Dima wrote:
    > Thank Rod for your reply!
    > How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?

    Win turns the DMA off when its getting significant numbers
    of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.
    The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.

    > Can Windows XP erroneously use another
    > interface speed than the Promise BIOS?

    Its not that so much as it sets the mode used
    with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

    > On Jan 27, 11:44 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> Dima wrote:
    >>> What do you mean?That the Promise bios says that its using DMA for
    >>> the HDs.

    >>> My Windows XP used PIO for my DVD drives,
    >>> although mainboard BIOS was using UDMA2 for them!Thats a different
    >>> issue,

    >>> Best regards,
    >>> Dima

  7. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Thanks Rod for your explanations!
    How are a biosed addon card and a mainboard different for Win? Why
    does Win set the mode used with drives that are on a mainboard, not on
    a biosed addon card?
    If bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting, could Win use a
    different mode that in the Promice BIOS?
    Best regards,
    Dima
    On Jan 28, 1:27 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Dima wrote:
    > > Thank Rod for your reply!
    > > How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?Win turns the DMA off when its getting significant numbers

    > of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.
    > The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.
    >
    > > Can Windows XP erroneously use another
    > > interface speed than the Promise BIOS?Its not that so much as it sets the mode used

    > with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

  8. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Dima wrote:

    > Thanks Rod for your explanations!
    > How are a biosed addon card and a mainboard different for Win?

    Different drivers.

    > Why does Win set the mode used with drives that
    > are on a mainboard, not on a biosed addon card?

    Its a lot harder to control what non MS driver does.

    > If bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting, could Win
    > use a different mode that in the Promice BIOS?

    Depends on the driver for that card.

    > On Jan 28, 1:27 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> Dima wrote:
    >>> Thank Rod for your reply!
    >>> How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?Win turns
    >>> the DMA off when its getting significant numbers

    >> of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.
    >> The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.
    >>
    >>> Can Windows XP erroneously use another
    >>> interface speed than the Promise BIOS?Its not that so much as it
    >>> sets the mode used

    >> with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

  9. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Thanks Rod for replying!
    If possibility of Win using a different mode that in the Promice BIOS
    depends on the driver for that card, how to make sure that Win uses
    the same mode that in the Promice BIOS in my case?
    Best regards,
    Dima
    On Jan 28, 11:48 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Dima wrote:
    > > Thanks Rod for your explanations!
    > > How are a biosed addon card and a mainboard different for Win?Different drivers.

    > > Why does Win set the mode used with drives that
    > > are on a mainboard, not on a biosed addon card?Its a lot harder to control what non MS driver does.

    > > If bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting, could Win
    > > use a different mode that in the Promice BIOS?Depends on the driver for that card.

    > >> of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.
    > >> The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.

    > >> with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

  10. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Dima wrote:
    > Thanks Rod for replying!

    > If possibility of Win using a different mode that in the
    > Promice BIOS depends on the driver for that card,

    I didnt say that. I said that that doesnt normally happen.

    > how to make sure that Win uses the same
    > mode that in the Promice BIOS in my case?

    > On Jan 28, 11:48 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> Dima wrote:
    >>> Thanks Rod for your explanations!
    >>> How are a biosed addon card and a mainboard different for
    >>> Win?Different drivers.

    >>> Why does Win set the mode used with drives that
    >>> are on a mainboard, not on a biosed addon card?Its a lot harder to
    >>> control what non MS driver does.

    >>> If bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting, could Win
    >>> use a different mode that in the Promice BIOS?Depends on the driver
    >>> for that card.

  11. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Thanks Rod for your reply!
    Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the
    Promice card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a
    mainboard?
    Best regards,
    Dima
    On Jan 29, 12:36 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Dima wrote:
    > > Thanks Rod for replying!
    > > If possibility of Win using a different mode that in the
    > > Promice BIOS depends on the driver for that card,I didnt say that. I said that that doesnt normally happen.

    > > how to make sure that Win uses the same
    > > mode that in the Promice BIOS in my case?

  12. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Dima wrote:

    > Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the Promice
    > card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a mainboard?

    Because that sort of card normally has its own drivers.

    > On Jan 29, 12:36 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> Dima wrote:
    >>> Thanks Rod for replying!
    >>> If possibility of Win using a different mode that in the
    >>> Promice BIOS depends on the driver for that card,I didnt say that.
    >>> I said that that doesnt normally happen.

    >>> how to make sure that Win uses the same
    >>> mode that in the Promice BIOS in my case?

  13. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Thanks Rod for your explanation!
    I clicked F6 during bootup from Windows XP CD and installed a driver
    for the Promice card. I did not install a driver under Windows XP.
    Windows XP SP2 stalled, redooted repeatedly if I did not install
    driver during bootup from Windows XP CD.
    Best regards,
    Dima
    On Jan 29, 10:23 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Dima wrote:
    > > Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the Promice
    > > card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a mainboard?Because that sort of card normally has its own drivers.

  14. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    Dima wrote

    > I clicked F6 during bootup from Windows XP CD
    > and installed a driver for the Promice card.

    Then its clearly got its own driver.

    > I did not install a driver under Windows XP.

    Doesnt matter, you installed one before that.

    > Windows XP SP2 stalled, redooted repeatedly if I did
    > not install driver during bootup from Windows XP CD.

    Then its clearly got its own driver.

    > On Jan 29, 10:23 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >> Dima wrote:
    >>> Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the
    >>> Promice
    >>> card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a
    >>> mainboard?Because that sort of card normally has its own drivers.

  15. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    On Jan 30, 12:21 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Dima wrote
    >
    > > I clicked F6 during bootup from Windows XP CD
    > > and installed a driver for the Promice card.

    > Then its clearly got its own driver.
    >
    > > I did not install a driver under Windows XP.

    > Doesnt matter, you installed one before that.
    >
    > > Windows XP SP2 stalled, redooted repeatedly if I did
    > > not install driver during bootup from Windows XP CD.

    > Then its clearly got its own driver.

  16. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:5221v2F1mhj3bU1@mid.individual.net
    > Dima wrote:
    > > Thank Rod for your reply!
    > > How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?

    > Win turns the DMA off when its getting significant numbers
    > of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.

    > The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.

    Nope, it's not. Win usualy just uses the settings bios setup sets.

    > > Can Windows XP erroneously use another
    > > interface speed than the Promise BIOS?

    > Its not that so much as it sets the mode used
    > with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

    Of which there is only one or two (biosless addon card).
    Clearly he wasn't speaking of that.

    [google's ****ty quoting snipped]

  17. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:5236bhF1m9vq4U1@mid.individual.net
    > Dima wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Rod for your explanations!
    > > How are a biosed addon card and a mainboard different for Win?

    > Different drivers.

    Duh.

    > > Why does Win set the mode used with drives that
    > > are on a mainboard, not on a biosed addon card?

    > Its a lot harder to control what non MS driver does.

    Since when are mainboard included chips made by Microsoft.

    > > If bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting, could Win
    > > use a different mode that in the Promice BIOS?

    > Depends on the driver for that card.

    And that of the MB included chipset as well.

    [google's ****ty quoting snipped]

  18. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:524jbpF1mlo6dU1@mid.individual.net
    > Dima wrote:
    > > Thanks Rod for replying!

    > > If possibility of Win using a different mode that in the
    > > Promice BIOS depends on the driver for that card,

    > I didnt say that.

    Yes you did.

    > I said that that doesnt normally happen.
    >
    > > how to make sure that Win uses the same
    > > mode that in the Promice BIOS in my case?

    [google's ****ty quoting snipped]

  19. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:526vtmF1mlnepU1@mid.individual.net
    > Dima wrote:
    >
    > > Why cann't Win use a different mode for drives connected to the Promice
    > > card if Win can use a different mode for drives connected to a mainboard?

    > Because that sort of card normally has its own drivers.

    So do the MB included chipsets.
    Main reason why newer motherboards/chipsets than Windows
    distribution fail to install Windows by lack of driver.

    [google's ****ty quoting snipped]

  20. Re: How to make sure that Windows XP uses UDMA5 for my 3 HDDs connected to PCI E-IDE controller?

    On Feb 1, 7:21 pm, "Folkert Rienstra" wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in messagenews:5221v2F1mhj3bU1@mid.individual.net
    > > Dima wrote:
    > > > Thank Rod for your reply!
    > > > How are my DVD drive and my HDD different in the issue?

    > > Win turns the DMA off when its getting significant numbers
    > > of CRC errors to the drive, for the safety of your data.
    > > The bios is irrelevant to the Win DMA setting.

    > Nope, it's not. Win usualy just uses the settings bios setup sets.
    >

    > > > Can Windows XP erroneously use another
    > > > interface speed than the Promise BIOS?

    > > Its not that so much as it sets the mode used
    > > with drives that arent on a biosed addon card.

    > Of which there is only one or two (biosless addon card).
    > Clearly he wasn't speaking of that.
    >

    > [google's ****ty quoting snipped]

    Thanks Folkert for your replies!

+ Reply to Thread