Updated USB drivers to support external USB My Book - Storage

This is a discussion on Updated USB drivers to support external USB My Book - Storage ; Hi, I am trying to set up a new 500 GB Western Digital external USB My Book Essential drive. At boot-up the New Hardware Wizard starts and sees the drive but can not find the necessary software to install it. ...

  1. Updated USB drivers to support external USB My Book

    Hi,

    I am trying to set up a new 500 GB Western Digital external USB My Book
    Essential drive. At boot-up the New Hardware Wizard starts and sees the
    drive but can not find the necessary software to install it. In talking
    to a Western Digital tech he said I needed to update the USB drivers
    from the ones that came with my Dimension 8300. I have not been able to
    find such a thing off the Dell support sight and really wonder if this
    is the issue since I have external USB Seagates that installed without
    a problem.

    Could anyone help me on this issue?

    My system configuration
    Dimension 8300
    Windows XP SP2
    BIOS: A07
    USB Root Hub driver
    Provider: Microsoft
    Ver 5.0.1006.0
    Date: 7/1/2001
    Intel 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller driver
    Provider: Intel
    Ver 5.0.1006.0
    Date: 1/15/2003

    Thanks, Steve

    Dell

  2. Re: Updated USB drivers to support external USB My Book

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage xsrossiter wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I am trying to set up a new 500 GB Western Digital external USB My Book
    > Essential drive. At boot-up the New Hardware Wizard starts and sees the
    > drive but can not find the necessary software to install it. In talking
    > to a Western Digital tech he said I needed to update the USB drivers
    > from the ones that came with my Dimension 8300. I have not been able to
    > find such a thing off the Dell support sight and really wonder if this
    > is the issue since I have external USB Seagates that installed without
    > a problem.

    > Could anyone help me on this issue?

    The request by the Tech sounds strange. There are only three
    USB driver: UHCI, OHCI and EHCI (for USB 2.0). USB does not
    need spcial drivers, since, for once, they have gotten the
    standardization right. The drivers are contained in XP and
    unless the WD external storage solution is not compatible to
    the USB storage standard (which would be very bad and a reason
    to return it immediately), you do not need special drivers!
    In fact there are likely no special drivers available.

    Maybe try to reinstall the USB support for XP...

    Arno

    > My system configuration
    > Dimension 8300
    > Windows XP SP2
    > BIOS: A07
    > USB Root Hub driver
    > Provider: Microsoft
    > Ver 5.0.1006.0
    > Date: 7/1/2001
    > Intel 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller driver
    > Provider: Intel
    > Ver 5.0.1006.0
    > Date: 1/15/2003

    > Thanks, Steve

    > Dell

  3. Re: Updated USB drivers to support external USB My Book

    For those with a similar problem I did find a work around resulting
    from formatting the drive to NTFS on a computer that did recognize the
    drive and installing file R58201.EXE (Intel Chipset Software
    Installation Utility) from http://support.dell.com/ on my computer. Not
    sure which one did the trick but having done both the drive was
    recognized.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread