Disk health measurement... - Storage

This is a discussion on Disk health measurement... - Storage ; Hi, A few of our Dell Latitude notebooks take almost 'forever' to boot. There are no viruses or adware involved (have tested with different tools). However I notices when runing scandisk the tests perform very slowly on certain areas of ...

  1. Disk health measurement...

    Hi,

    A few of our Dell Latitude notebooks take almost 'forever' to boot.
    There are no viruses or adware involved (have tested with different
    tools).

    However I notices when runing scandisk the tests perform very slowly on
    certain areas of the disk.

    Does it exist tools (under winxp) which measures disk health - i.e. keep
    track of how many retries (if any) it takes to read selected parts of
    the disk.

    Thanks for tips on this issue

    regards

    Tor

  2. Re: Disk health measurement...

    Previously Geir Holmavatn wrote:
    > Hi,

    > A few of our Dell Latitude notebooks take almost 'forever' to boot.
    > There are no viruses or adware involved (have tested with different
    > tools).

    > However I notices when runing scandisk the tests perform very slowly on
    > certain areas of the disk.

    > Does it exist tools (under winxp) which measures disk health - i.e. keep
    > track of how many retries (if any) it takes to read selected parts of
    > the disk.

    > Thanks for tips on this issue

    > regards

    > Tor

    Just use a SMART utility to do a long disk selftest.
    For getting past problems, read the SMART attributes
    with the SMART utility. Post them here, if you want help
    with the interpretation.

    A commandline SMART tool is smartctl from the smartmontools
    which run also under XP and are available fro free here:

    http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    Arno

  3. Re: Disk health measurement...

    Geir Holmavatn wrote

    > A few of our Dell Latitude notebooks take almost 'forever' to boot.
    > There are no viruses or adware involved (have tested with different tools).

    > However I notices when runing scandisk the tests perform very slowly on certain areas of the disk.

    > Does it exist tools (under winxp) which measures disk health - i.e. keep track of how many retries
    > (if any) it takes to read selected parts of the disk.

    Best to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive
    and check the SMART data. Everest can tell you the manufacturer
    of the hard drive and show you the SMART data. Post the SMART
    data here, dont just go by the OK values on the end of the lines.

    Some Dell notebooks are notorious for running the hard drives
    at the extreme end of what is allowed temperature wise and
    see an obscene hard drive failure rate as a result.

    > Thanks for tips on this issue

+ Reply to Thread