The idiot story continues - Storage

This is a discussion on The idiot story continues - Storage ; On the 4th, I posted my confusing tale about how I'd trashed my store bought computer hard drive, attempting to shrink the NTFS XP partition it came with from 170 gig to something smaller, planning to essentially make it appear ...

  1. The idiot story continues

    On the 4th, I posted my confusing tale about how I'd trashed my store bought
    computer hard drive, attempting to shrink the NTFS XP partition it came with
    from 170 gig to something smaller, planning to essentially make it appear
    like my old computer.

    I had a disk error, it wouldn't boot, so I finally hit F10, got into the
    recovery part of the drive -- the FAT32 part that HP stores its complete XP
    installation on, and restored it to its "new from the store" condition....(I
    thought)

    I discovered a copy of Ghost 9 floating around, installed it, ghosted what
    is there in the NTFS area, and was going to again try Gparted to attempt to
    do what I failed at before.

    Well, I tried two versions of CD based Gparted, one of them on the
    driverescuecd, and the other on something called the Gparted LiveCD. They
    both booted the machine, and neither of them recognized either of the
    partitions on the hard drive. The one from the driverescuecd sure saw the
    partitions that were on the hard drive before.

    In other words, there's something about the HP rescue reinstallation that
    makes the machine different from the way it was when it came from the store.
    Both builds of Gparted recognized the drive, but claimed it had something
    like 185 Gig of unallocated space and nothing else.

    So the question is for people who know about these HP Hard drive based
    reinstallations of XP. What is different between my now "restored" computer
    (and it behaves just like new, boots xp, exhibits an NTFS and a FAT32
    partition, as expected) and the way it was when it came from the store? The
    other question of course is whether whatever changed can be
    restored...without having a copy of what was there before.

    Again, as always, thanks.

  2. Re: The idiot story continues

    "exray" wrote in message
    news:OpCdnQcW76Epfz_YnZ2dnUVZ_silnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
    > On the 4th, I posted my confusing tale about how I'd trashed my store
    > bought computer hard drive, attempting to shrink the NTFS XP partition it
    > came with from 170 gig to something smaller, planning to essentially make
    > it appear like my old computer.
    >
    > I had a disk error, it wouldn't boot, so I finally hit F10, got into the
    > recovery part of the drive -- the FAT32 part that HP stores its complete
    > XP installation on, and restored it to its "new from the store"
    > condition....(I thought)
    >
    > I discovered a copy of Ghost 9 floating around, installed it, ghosted what
    > is there in the NTFS area, and was going to again try Gparted to attempt
    > to do what I failed at before.
    >
    > Well, I tried two versions of CD based Gparted, one of them on the
    > driverescuecd, and the other on something called the Gparted LiveCD. They
    > both booted the machine, and neither of them recognized either of the
    > partitions on the hard drive. The one from the driverescuecd sure saw the
    > partitions that were on the hard drive before.
    >
    > In other words, there's something about the HP rescue reinstallation that
    > makes the machine different from the way it was when it came from the
    > store. Both builds of Gparted recognized the drive, but claimed it had
    > something like 185 Gig of unallocated space and nothing else.
    >
    > So the question is for people who know about these HP Hard drive based
    > reinstallations of XP. What is different between my now "restored"
    > computer (and it behaves just like new, boots xp, exhibits an NTFS and a
    > FAT32 partition, as expected) and the way it was when it came from the
    > store? The other question of course is whether whatever changed can be
    > restored...without having a copy of what was there before.
    >
    > Again, as always, thanks.

    I don't have a conclusive answer for you and I'm no expert, but have you
    considered trying another disk management app like Acronis Disk Director
    before deciding that there's something wrong with your restored image? It's
    cheap (ish) and it's worked fine whenever I've used it.

    Regards,
    Keith.

  3. Re: The idiot story continues

    Thanks Keith,

    I may have misstated my "condition". To simplify: I bought a computer with
    XP on it (and the capability of reinstalling XP on a separate partiton on
    the same big HD). The new computer worked fine, but I didn't want a 170 gig
    partition, I wanted some smaller ones.

    So I plunked a linux based thing called driverescuecd into the CD drive and
    booted it, ran gparted from the linux environment, thought I'd succeeded in
    shrinking the native NTFS partition on the hard drive.

    When I went to reboot into windows, I got the message a disk read error
    occurred
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart, which means I'd hosed something on the HD.
    So I invoked the reinstall feature built into the computer, reinstalled XP,
    and everything is fine, almost.

    I then used ghost and have now saved an image of the hard drive to use if I
    screw up the HD again.

    When I put the linux CD in there again (maybe that's a crazy thing to do,
    but I tried doing it), unlike the first time I did it -- when that program
    gparted recognized that the hard drive had a very large NTFS partition, a
    decent sized FAT32 partition, and a small amount of unallocated space --
    this time gparted didn't see any partitions on the hard drive, just a ton of
    unallocated space.

    What that means to me is that gparted did something the first time that the
    windows reinstall managed to overcome, but didn't exactly restore the
    machine to its pristine condition. I'm wondering what changes it made, and
    I'm wondering if there are any linux gurus out there who might know.

    There's a gentleman named Svend Olaf Mikkelsen out there who has written
    some superb software for expert use on partitions. I've downloaded it, have
    run it, and now am trying to understand how the disk is organized. It ain't
    easy.

    Sorry if what I wrote was needlessly confusing.
    "Keith Wilby" wrote in message
    > "exray" wrote in message
    > news:OpCdnQcW76Epfz_YnZ2dnUVZ_silnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
    >> On the 4th, I posted my confusing tale about how I'd trashed my store
    >> bought computer hard drive, attempting to shrink the NTFS XP partition it
    >> came with from 170 gig to something smaller, planning to essentially make
    >> it appear like my old computer.
    >>
    >> I had a disk error, it wouldn't boot, so I finally hit F10, got into the
    >> recovery part of the drive -- the FAT32 part that HP stores its complete
    >> XP installation on, and restored it to its "new from the store"
    >> condition....(I thought)
    >>
    >> I discovered a copy of Ghost 9 floating around, installed it, ghosted
    >> what is there in the NTFS area, and was going to again try Gparted to
    >> attempt to do what I failed at before.
    >>
    >> Well, I tried two versions of CD based Gparted, one of them on the
    >> driverescuecd, and the other on something called the Gparted LiveCD.
    >> They both booted the machine, and neither of them recognized either of
    >> the partitions on the hard drive. The one from the driverescuecd sure
    >> saw the partitions that were on the hard drive before.
    >>
    >> In other words, there's something about the HP rescue reinstallation that
    >> makes the machine different from the way it was when it came from the
    >> store. Both builds of Gparted recognized the drive, but claimed it had
    >> something like 185 Gig of unallocated space and nothing else.
    >>
    >> So the question is for people who know about these HP Hard drive based
    >> reinstallations of XP. What is different between my now "restored"
    >> computer (and it behaves just like new, boots xp, exhibits an NTFS and a
    >> FAT32 partition, as expected) and the way it was when it came from the
    >> store? The other question of course is whether whatever changed can be
    >> restored...without having a copy of what was there before.
    >>
    >> Again, as always, thanks.
    >>

    > I don't have a conclusive answer for you and I'm no expert, but have you
    > considered trying another disk management app like Acronis Disk Director
    > before deciding that there's something wrong with your restored image?
    > It's cheap (ish) and it's worked fine whenever I've used it.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Keith.

+ Reply to Thread