Is this a corrupted hard drive ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Is this a corrupted hard drive ? - Storage ; Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c to my 250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into the D: drive to check the files and all of the folders had ...

  1. Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c to my
    250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into the D: drive
    to check the files and all of the folders had names that look like
    another language when it can't be properly displayed - You know - boxes
    and symbols, etc.

    Anyway, I restarted the computer in hopes that the reboot would find
    the drive and return things to normal. The machine started a scan which
    says "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxx corrected. It has been
    running for about 12 hours now and is up to cluster 1,420,000. At this
    rate with the drive about half full I figure it will run for 4 more
    days at least. I'm not shutting it down in hopes that it's actually
    fixing something. I'm running XP - SP1 and both drives are FAT32. I
    really don't want to partition and format the drive if I can help it.
    This really seems like disk corruption, but I had no warning at all -
    it just happened. When I viewed the S.M.A.R.T. properties a few days
    ago everything was within limits. Any ideas on this would be greatly
    appreciated. Thanks for your help.

    - Tom D. -

  2. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:

    > Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c
    > to my 250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into
    > the D: drive to check the files and all of the folders had names
    > that look like another language when it can't be properly
    > displayed - You know - boxes and symbols, etc.

    > Anyway, I restarted the computer in hopes that the reboot would find
    > the drive and return things to normal. The machine started a scan
    > which says "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxx corrected. It
    > has been running for about 12 hours now and is up to cluster
    > 1,420,000. At this rate with the drive about half full I figure it
    > will run for 4 more days at least. I'm not shutting it down in hopes
    > that it's actually fixing something.

    Its likely screwing the drive contents very comprehensively indeed.

    > I'm running XP - SP1 and both drives are FAT32. I really
    > don't want to partition and format the drive if I can help it.
    > This really seems like disk corruption,

    Too early to say yet.

    > but I had no warning at all - it just happened. When I viewed the
    > S.M.A.R.T. properties a few days ago everything was within limits.

    Not all failures provide any warning.

    > Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

    If the files on that drive matter, I'd stop chkdsk before it ****s up anything more.

    And then post the Everest SMART report here.

  3. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    Previously tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:
    > Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c to my
    > 250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into the D: drive
    > to check the files and all of the folders had names that look like
    > another language when it can't be properly displayed - You know - boxes
    > and symbols, etc.

    > Anyway, I restarted the computer in hopes that the reboot would find
    > the drive and return things to normal. The machine started a scan which
    > says "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxx corrected. It has been
    > running for about 12 hours now and is up to cluster 1,420,000. At this
    > rate with the drive about half full I figure it will run for 4 more
    > days at least. I'm not shutting it down in hopes that it's actually
    > fixing something. I'm running XP - SP1 and both drives are FAT32. I
    > really don't want to partition and format the drive if I can help it.
    > This really seems like disk corruption, but I had no warning at all -
    > it just happened. When I viewed the S.M.A.R.T. properties a few days
    > ago everything was within limits. Any ideas on this would be greatly
    > appreciated. Thanks for your help.

    First, the drive is most likely fine. Second, it is most likely
    an OS problem, i.e. bug.

    Was the gross MS incompetence that too large drives would have their
    start overwritten eventually without any warning still present in SP1?
    I don't quite remember.

    If it is, then sorry, your data is gone, since the FAT of that drive
    is gone. Also the only one to blame for this is Microsoft.
    Unfortuunately you cannot sue a software maker for gross
    incompetence....

    Arno

  4. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c
    > > to my 250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into
    > > the D: drive to check the files and all of the folders had names
    > > that look like another language when it can't be properly
    > > displayed - You know - boxes and symbols, etc.

    > > Anyway, I restarted the computer in hopes that the reboot would find
    > > the drive and return things to normal. The machine started a scan
    > > which says "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxx corrected. It
    > > has been running for about 12 hours now and is up to cluster
    > > 1,420,000. At this rate with the drive about half full I figure it
    > > will run for 4 more days at least. I'm not shutting it down in hopes
    > > that it's actually fixing something.

    > Its likely screwing the drive contents very comprehensively indeed.
    >
    > > I'm running XP - SP1 and both drives are FAT32. I really
    > > don't want to partition and format the drive if I can help it.
    > > This really seems like disk corruption,

    > Too early to say yet.
    >
    > > but I had no warning at all - it just happened. When I viewed the
    > > S.M.A.R.T. properties a few days ago everything was within limits.

    > Not all failures provide any warning.
    >
    > > Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

    > If the files on that drive matter, I'd stop chkdsk before it ****s up anything more.
    >
    > And then post the Everest SMART report here.
    > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

    Thanks for the reply - I'll check out Everest SMART, I'm using Active
    SMART now which has been reliable for me.

  5. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c to my
    > > 250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into the D: drive
    > > to check the files and all of the folders had names that look like
    > > another language when it can't be properly displayed - You know - boxes
    > > and symbols, etc.

    > > Anyway, I restarted the computer in hopes that the reboot would find
    > > the drive and return things to normal. The machine started a scan which
    > > says "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxx corrected. It has been
    > > running for about 12 hours now and is up to cluster 1,420,000. At this
    > > rate with the drive about half full I figure it will run for 4 more
    > > days at least. I'm not shutting it down in hopes that it's actually
    > > fixing something. I'm running XP - SP1 and both drives are FAT32. I
    > > really don't want to partition and format the drive if I can help it.
    > > This really seems like disk corruption, but I had no warning at all -
    > > it just happened. When I viewed the S.M.A.R.T. properties a few days
    > > ago everything was within limits. Any ideas on this would be greatly
    > > appreciated. Thanks for your help.

    > First, the drive is most likely fine. Second, it is most likely
    > an OS problem, i.e. bug.
    >
    > Was the gross MS incompetence that too large drives would have their
    > start overwritten eventually without any warning still present in SP1?
    > I don't quite remember.
    >
    > If it is, then sorry, your data is gone, since the FAT of that drive
    > is gone. Also the only one to blame for this is Microsoft.
    > Unfortuunately you cannot sue a software maker for gross
    > incompetence....
    >
    > Arno

    Wasn't aware of that bug in SP1, but it sure looks like the FAT of the
    drive is gone or corrupted. From what I can tell there is nothing
    physically wrong with the drive, so I tend to think you're right. Guess
    I've learned that I have to backup the drive more often ! Thanks for
    your reply

  6. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:

    > Wasn't aware of that bug in SP1, but it sure looks like the FAT of the
    > drive is gone or corrupted. From what I can tell there is nothing
    > physically wrong with the drive, so I tend to think you're right. Guess
    > I've learned that I have to backup the drive more often !

    Actually, what you should have learned is to ensure that you are using the most
    recent version of the OS, including all fixes to prevent hackers from getting
    in. SP2 and all upgrades are available free online (assuming you have a legal
    copy of the OS) and you can easily set up the machine to download and install
    updates automatically and unattended. I know many corporations have stupid
    rules about ensuring everyone uses a down-level version for corp-wide
    compatibility, but real world computer users should be a lot more sensible and
    cautious. Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, it's only intended to be stern
    advice so you're protected from problems.

    Mike

  7. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    Previously Michael Daly wrote:
    > tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:

    >> Wasn't aware of that bug in SP1, but it sure looks like the FAT of the
    >> drive is gone or corrupted. From what I can tell there is nothing
    >> physically wrong with the drive, so I tend to think you're right. Guess
    >> I've learned that I have to backup the drive more often !

    > Actually, what you should have learned is to ensure that you are
    > using the most recent version of the OS, including all fixes to
    > prevent hackers from getting in. SP2 and all upgrades are available
    > free online (assuming you have a legal copy of the OS) and you can
    > easily set up the machine to download and install updates
    > automatically and unattended. I know many corporations have stupid
    > rules about ensuring everyone uses a down-level version for
    > corp-wide compatibility, but real world computer users should be a
    > lot more sensible and cautious. Hope this doesn't sound too harsh,
    > it's only intended to be stern advice so you're protected from
    > problems.

    Well, quite frankly, this bug is so stupid and incompetent that
    no user needs to expect it. In any decent implementation
    you will have a check that does not let you use equipment
    the code cannot deal with. Even more so in an extrememly
    critical part like the storage layer.

    Arno

  8. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    Previously tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c
    >> > to my 250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into
    >> > the D: drive to check the files and all of the folders had names
    >> > that look like another language when it can't be properly
    >> > displayed - You know - boxes and symbols, etc.

    >> > Anyway, I restarted the computer in hopes that the reboot would find
    >> > the drive and return things to normal. The machine started a scan
    >> > which says "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxx corrected. It
    >> > has been running for about 12 hours now and is up to cluster
    >> > 1,420,000. At this rate with the drive about half full I figure it
    >> > will run for 4 more days at least. I'm not shutting it down in hopes
    >> > that it's actually fixing something.

    >> Its likely screwing the drive contents very comprehensively indeed.
    >>
    >> > I'm running XP - SP1 and both drives are FAT32. I really
    >> > don't want to partition and format the drive if I can help it.
    >> > This really seems like disk corruption,

    >> Too early to say yet.
    >>
    >> > but I had no warning at all - it just happened. When I viewed the
    >> > S.M.A.R.T. properties a few days ago everything was within limits.

    >> Not all failures provide any warning.
    >>
    >> > Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

    >> If the files on that drive matter, I'd stop chkdsk before it ****s up anything more.
    >>
    >> And then post the Everest SMART report here.
    >> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

    > Thanks for the reply - I'll check out Everest SMART, I'm using Active
    > SMART now which has been reliable for me.

    Since the SMART tool only reports, while the disks do the checks
    themselves, a switch should not change much.

    Arno

  9. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Rod Speed wrote:

    >>> Its likely screwing the drive contents very comprehensively indeed.

    >>> Too early to say yet.

    >>> Not all failures provide any warning.

    >>> If the files on that drive matter, I'd stop chkdsk before it ****s
    >>> up anything more.
    >>>
    >>> And then post the Everest SMART report here.
    >>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

    >> Thanks for the reply - I'll check out Everest SMART, I'm using Active
    >> SMART now which has been reliable for me.

    > Since the SMART tool only reports, while the disks do the checks
    > themselves, a switch should not change much.

    Active SMART claims to do more than JUST report what the drive reports.

  10. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote

    >>> Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c
    >>> to my 250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into
    >>> the D: drive to check the files and all of the folders had names
    >>> that look like another language when it can't be properly
    >>> displayed - You know - boxes and symbols, etc.

    >>> Anyway, I restarted the computer in hopes that the reboot would find
    >>> the drive and return things to normal. The machine started a scan
    >>> which says "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxx corrected. It
    >>> has been running for about 12 hours now and is up to cluster
    >>> 1,420,000. At this rate with the drive about half full I figure it
    >>> will run for 4 more days at least. I'm not shutting it down in hopes
    >>> that it's actually fixing something.

    >> Its likely screwing the drive contents very comprehensively indeed.

    >>> I'm running XP - SP1 and both drives are FAT32. I really
    >>> don't want to partition and format the drive if I can help it.
    >>> This really seems like disk corruption,

    >> Too early to say yet.

    >>> but I had no warning at all - it just happened. When I viewed the
    >>> S.M.A.R.T. properties a few days ago everything was within limits.

    >> Not all failures provide any warning.

    >>> Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

    >> If the files on that drive matter, I'd stop chkdsk before it ****s
    >> up anything more.

    >> And then post the Everest SMART report here.
    >> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

    > Thanks for the reply - I'll check out Everest SMART,
    > I'm using Active SMART now which has been reliable for me.

    You dont know that yet, it may have failed to warn
    you about what it should have warned you about.

  11. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously tom.delorenzo@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Just moved a bunch of large files from my 40 GB main drive (c to
    >>> my 250 GB secondary drive. (d After doing that, I went into the
    >>> D: drive to check the files and all of the folders had names that
    >>> look like another language when it can't be properly displayed -
    >>> You know - boxes and symbols, etc.

    >>> Anyway, I restarted the computer in hopes that the reboot would find
    >>> the drive and return things to normal. The machine started a scan
    >>> which says "Bad links in lost chain at cluster xxxxxx corrected.
    >>> It has been running for about 12 hours now and is up to cluster
    >>> 1,420,000. At this rate with the drive about half full I figure it
    >>> will run for 4 more days at least. I'm not shutting it down in
    >>> hopes that it's actually fixing something. I'm running XP - SP1 and
    >>> both drives are FAT32. I really don't want to partition and format
    >>> the drive if I can help it. This really seems like disk corruption,
    >>> but I had no warning at all - it just happened. When I viewed the
    >>> S.M.A.R.T. properties a few days ago everything was within limits.
    >>> Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your
    >>> help.

    >> First, the drive is most likely fine. Second, it is most likely
    >> an OS problem, i.e. bug.
    >>
    >> Was the gross MS incompetence that too large drives would have their
    >> start overwritten eventually without any warning still present in
    >> SP1? I don't quite remember.
    >>
    >> If it is, then sorry, your data is gone, since the FAT of that drive
    >> is gone. Also the only one to blame for this is Microsoft.
    >> Unfortuunately you cannot sue a software maker for gross
    >> incompetence....

    > Wasn't aware of that bug in SP1,

    No such animal, its a figment of Arno's MS hating 'brain'

    > but it sure looks like the FAT of the drive is gone

    It wont be gone, if it was gone, chkdsk wouldnt have run, it
    would have said that the FAT is gone and would have given up.

    > or corrupted.

    Definitely that.

    > From what I can tell there is nothing physically wrong with the drive,

    You dont know that until you post that SMART data.

    > so I tend to think you're right.

    Nope, he isnt.

    > Guess I've learned that I have to backup the drive more often !

    You have indeed.

  12. Re: Is this a corrupted hard drive ?

    In article <6rGdnVJyvdIA5DzYnZ2dnUVZ_hmtnZ2d@magma.ca>, Michael Daly wrote:
    > I know many corporations have stupid
    > rules about ensuring everyone uses a down-level version for corp-wide
    > compatibility, but real world computer users should be a lot more sensible and
    > cautious.

    You're not losing (perfectly legal) machines to the WGA virus? Yet.

    --
    Aidan Karley
    Aberdeen, Scotland

+ Reply to Thread