Can I monitor HD temperatures? - Storage

This is a discussion on Can I monitor HD temperatures? - Storage ; Hi all! Just curious... On my Intel® P965 / ICH8R Chipset system, I am running 2x2HD's with RAID0 & RAID1. Because of this I can't monitor the S.M.A.R.T. values with normal utilities. Are there any utilities that will be able ...

  1. Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    Hi all!

    Just curious... On my Intel® P965 / ICH8R Chipset system, I am running
    2x2HD's with RAID0 & RAID1. Because of this I can't monitor the
    S.M.A.R.T. values with normal utilities.
    Are there any utilities that will be able to display certain S.M.A.R.T.
    values (I am especially interested in HD temperature), even though the
    HD's are in a RAID setup?

    Regards,
    Evert

  2. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    "Evert Meulie" wrote in message
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Just curious... On my Intel P965 / ICH8R Chipset system, I am running
    > 2x2HD's with RAID0 & RAID1. Because of this I can't monitor the S.M.A.R.T.
    > values with normal utilities.
    > Are there any utilities that will be able to display certain S.M.A.R.T.
    > values (I am especially interested in HD temperature), even though the
    > HD's are in a RAID setup?
    >

    > Regards,
    > Evert

    Try speedfan.

    Mike.

  3. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Evert Meulie wrote:
    > Hi all!

    > Just curious... On my Intel® P965 / ICH8R Chipset system, I am running
    > 2x2HD's with RAID0 & RAID1. Because of this I can't monitor the
    > S.M.A.R.T. values with normal utilities.
    > Are there any utilities that will be able to display certain S.M.A.R.T.
    > values (I am especially interested in HD temperature), even though the
    > HD's are in a RAID setup?

    What OS?

    Arno

  4. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    Windows XP and/or Vista.

    On Jan 6, 2:45 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Evert Meulie wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all!
    > > Just curious... On my Intel P965 / ICH8R Chipset system, I am running
    > > 2x2HD's with RAID0 & RAID1. Because of this I can't monitor the
    > > S.M.A.R.T. values with normal utilities.
    > > Are there any utilities that will be able to display certain S.M.A.R.T.
    > > values (I am especially interested in HD temperature), even though the
    > > HD's are in a RAID setup?What OS?

    > Arno

  5. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    Previously Evert wrote:
    > Windows XP and/or Vista.

    THen only an utility from Intel will help. Have a look
    whether they offer any smart software for their controllers.

    Arno

    > On Jan 6, 2:45 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Evert Meulie wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi all!
    >> > Just curious... On my Intel P965 / ICH8R Chipset system, I am running
    >> > 2x2HD's with RAID0 & RAID1. Because of this I can't monitor the
    >> > S.M.A.R.T. values with normal utilities.
    >> > Are there any utilities that will be able to display certain S.M.A.R.T.
    >> > values (I am especially interested in HD temperature), even though the
    >> > HD's are in a RAID setup?What OS?

    >> Arno

  6. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Evert wrote:
    >> Windows XP and/or Vista.

    > THen only an utility from Intel will help.

    Wrong.

    > Have a look whether they offer any smart software for their controllers.

    >> On Jan 6, 2:45 am, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> Arno

  7. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    On Jan 8, 1:09 am, "James Brown" wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously Evert wrote:
    > >> Windows XP and/or Vista.

    > > THen only an utility from Intel will help.

    >Wrong.

    Well, if he is wrong, can you supply us with the correct utility? ;-)

    Regards,
    Evert

  8. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    Evert wrote:
    > On Jan 8, 1:09 am, "James Brown" wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>> THen only an utility from Intel will help.

    >> Wrong.

    > Well, if he is wrong, can you supply us with the correct utility? ;-)

    Irrelevant to whether only Intel can provide it.

  9. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    Intel Technical Support replied: 'Unfortunately, there is no utility
    from Intel(R) that will allow you to do this.
    Unfortunately, we cannot recommend third party applications either. You
    may try searching the Internet for third party applications.'

    Damn...

    Regards,
    Evert

    On Jan 5, 9:18 pm, Evert Meulie wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > Just curious... On my Intel P965 / ICH8R Chipset system, I am running
    > 2x2HD's with RAID0 & RAID1. Because of this I can't monitor the
    > S.M.A.R.T. values with normal utilities.
    > Are there any utilities that will be able to display certain S.M.A.R.T.
    > values (I am especially interested in HD temperature), even though the
    > HD's are in a RAID setup?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Evert

  10. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    Previously James Brown wrote:
    > Evert wrote:

    >>> Wrong.

    >> Well, if he is wrong, can you supply us with the correct utility? ;-)

    > Irrelevant to whether only Intel can provide it.

  11. Re: Can I monitor HD temperatures?

    Evert wrote:
    > Intel Technical Support replied: 'Unfortunately, there is no utility
    > from Intel(R) that will allow you to do this.
    > Unfortunately, we cannot recommend third party applications either. You
    > may try searching the Internet for third party applications.'
    >
    > Damn...
    >

    > Regards,
    > Evert
    >

    > On Jan 5, 9:18 pm, Evert Meulie wrote:
    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> Just curious... On my Intel P965 / ICH8R Chipset system, I am running
    >> 2x2HD's with RAID0 & RAID1. Because of this I can't monitor the
    >> S.M.A.R.T. values with normal utilities.
    >> Are there any utilities that will be able to display certain S.M.A.R.T.
    >> values (I am especially interested in HD temperature), even though the
    >> HD's are in a RAID setup?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Evert

    Everest Home by Lavalsys will provide temps and most other
    info you want, I think. I don't know whether it will work
    with Vista but it's free and I've been using it for quite
    some time quite happily.

    Louise

+ Reply to Thread