Maxtor USB disk drive; any downsides for formatting NTFS? - Storage

This is a discussion on Maxtor USB disk drive; any downsides for formatting NTFS? - Storage ; I have a 250MB Maxtor One-Touch (250BG) and it's being repurposed. It came from the factory as FAT32 and it ws never reformatted. CHKDSK says it's fine. It's used as a backup device with PC softare that chuncks up data ...

  1. Maxtor USB disk drive; any downsides for formatting NTFS?

    I have a 250MB Maxtor One-Touch (250BG) and it's being repurposed. It
    came from the factory as FAT32 and it ws never reformatted. CHKDSK
    says it's fine. It's used as a backup device with PC softare that
    chuncks up data 2GB at a time.

    I would prefer to use NTFS and single big files as savesets but want a
    consensus of opinion about the change.

    I like NTFS becuase it is damn robust and the cases where, in my
    experience, data has been lost due to NTFS when the hardware was OK
    can be counted on one finger. I use NTFS whenever possible and have
    done so on a few thousand systems, since NT3.51.

    I see .CHK files on most well used PCs that use FAT32. I don't find
    that acceptable.

    OTOH, in the couple years since USB external disks have become popular
    I've been watching Usenet groups and seeing *many* reports of problems
    with NTFS on USB disks. The "delayed write" error seems to be
    popular. I attribute this to NTFS buffering and journaling.

    Comments?

    (I aslo don't like external drives for heat reasons, but an hour a day
    is OK.)

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com

  2. Re: Maxtor USB disk drive; any downsides for formatting NTFS?

    adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) writes:

    > I have a 250MB Maxtor One-Touch (250BG) and it's being repurposed.

    Repurposed? Did management get hold of you? Sounds like a marine
    mammal procreating. Actually that would be reporpoising... Hrmm.
    I digress. :-)

    > I would prefer to use NTFS and single big files as savesets but want a
    > consensus of opinion about the change.

    Depends on the OS's you use. If you always use the drive in win2k/xp
    machines go for it, it's a better filesystem.

    If you have to talk with Linux systems or win95 systems, though, the
    drive won't be readable.

    Always stopping the drive before disconnecting it is important,
    regardless.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Maxtor USB disk drive; any downsides for formatting NTFS?

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > I have a 250MB Maxtor One-Touch (250BG) and it's being
    > repurposed. It came from the factory as FAT32 and it ws
    > never reformatted. CHKDSK says it's fine. It's used as a backup
    > device with PC softare that chuncks up data 2GB at a time.

    > I would prefer to use NTFS and single big files as savesets
    > but want a consensus of opinion about the change.

    > I like NTFS becuase it is damn robust and the cases where, in my
    > experience, data has been lost due to NTFS when the hardware was
    > OK can be counted on one finger. I use NTFS whenever possible
    > and have done so on a few thousand systems, since NT3.51.

    Its more complicated than that in practice. You do see a number
    of reports of NTFS systems that get reported as unformatted.

    It appears that most of the time that that is due to XP being too
    fussy and that when that happens, knoppix etc is happy to mount it.

    > I see .CHK files on most well used PCs that use FAT32.
    > I don't find that acceptable.

    OK, but having the system say that the drive is unformatted isnt either.

    > OTOH, in the couple years since USB external disks have become
    > popular I've been watching Usenet groups and seeing *many* reports
    > of problems with NTFS on USB disks. The "delayed write" error
    > seems to be popular. I attribute this to NTFS buffering and journaling.

    That last is unlikely. That wont produce that particular error. Its due to a
    hardware problem, at the interface level. Nothing to do with the file system.

    > Comments?

    > (I aslo don't like external drives for heat reasons,

    Yeah, I prefer to have the drive network connected instead
    and have them in normal cases where they can be cooled
    properly and you can see the SMART data easily etc.

    That last is easily fixed by using eSATA instead of USB2 or firewire.

    > but an hour a day is OK.)

    Particularly if you use a drive that runs cool like the Samsungs as
    well and ensure that the case is one of the better designed ones.

  4. Re: Maxtor USB disk drive; any downsides for formatting NTFS?

    Todd H. wrote
    > adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) writes

    >> I have a 250MB Maxtor One-Touch (250BG) and it's being repurposed.

    >> I would prefer to use NTFS and single big files as savesets
    >> but want a consensus of opinion about the change.

    > Depends on the OS's you use. If you always use the drive
    > in win2k/xp machines go for it, it's a better filesystem.

    But has some downsides.

    > If you have to talk with Linux systems or win95
    > systems, though, the drive won't be readable.

    Most modern linuxes can read ntfs volumes fine.

    The problem is with writing to them.

    > Always stopping the drive before disconnecting it is important, regardless.

  5. Re: Maxtor USB disk drive; any downsides for formatting NTFS?

    Previously Al Dykes wrote:

    > I have a 250MB Maxtor One-Touch (250BG) and it's being repurposed. It
    > came from the factory as FAT32 and it ws never reformatted. CHKDSK
    > says it's fine. It's used as a backup device with PC softare that
    > chuncks up data 2GB at a time.

    > I would prefer to use NTFS and single big files as savesets but want a
    > consensus of opinion about the change.

    > I like NTFS becuase it is damn robust and the cases where, in my
    > experience, data has been lost due to NTFS when the hardware was OK
    > can be counted on one finger. I use NTFS whenever possible and have
    > done so on a few thousand systems, since NT3.51.

    > I see .CHK files on most well used PCs that use FAT32. I don't find
    > that acceptable.

    > OTOH, in the couple years since USB external disks have become popular
    > I've been watching Usenet groups and seeing *many* reports of problems
    > with NTFS on USB disks. The "delayed write" error seems to be
    > popular. I attribute this to NTFS buffering and journaling.

    > Comments?

    > (I aslo don't like external drives for heat reasons, but an hour a day
    > is OK.)

    The only reason not to use NTFS I see is problems with Linux. Done I do
    all my backups with Linux, all my XP stuff (games mostly) are on FAT32.

    Besides that, do you really want to use a known to die young external
    Maxtor disk? These are very badly cooled and Maxtor HDDs really need
    to be cooled well in order to be reliable...

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread