Re: Idiot needs advice - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Idiot needs advice - Storage ; "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:505lufF1eaveuU1@mid.individual.net... > exray wrote: Thanks Rod, I did some web searching on that message and I saw the suggestion that I might be able to get back "in" by setting the bios to its default ...

  1. Re: Idiot needs advice

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > exray wrote:

    Thanks Rod,

    I did some web searching on that message and I saw the suggestion that I
    might be able to get back "in" by setting the bios to its default settings.
    It's a phoenix/award, and the default settings aren't too exciting...but one
    does get the chance to get into "recovery", and that is what I need at this
    point. So recovery tested the HD and says it's OK, and is now restoring all
    the AOL, Trial, and other junk that comes on new computers. Far better than
    a machine that says I should push Ctrl+Alt+Del. Considering that it runs
    and that if formats the drive, I'm pretty confident that it'll work OK.

    Maybe Partition Magic isn't such an awful investment after all.

    To answer your question about the backup, I have used something called
    dfincbackup, which seems to make zip files of both complete partitions and
    also makes delta zip files of just changes....I've got them on an external
    drive. I also did a files and setttings transfer wizard thing from the old
    computer (an xp pro machine), but it didn't transfer to the new
    machine....it got to some point and then spent overnight sitting at the same
    place on the progress bar, with the HD light off and nothing happening
    except for effectively a CPU burnin test.

  2. Re: Idiot needs advice

    exray wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> exray wrote

    > Thanks Rod,

    > I did some web searching on that message and I saw the suggestion
    > that I might be able to get back "in" by setting the bios to its
    > default settings. It's a phoenix/award, and the default settings
    > aren't too exciting...but one does get the chance to get into
    > "recovery", and that is what I need at this point. So recovery tested
    > the HD and says it's OK, and is now restoring all the AOL, Trial, and
    > other junk that comes on new computers. Far better than a machine
    > that says I should push Ctrl+Alt+Del. Considering that it runs and
    > that if formats the drive, I'm pretty confident that it'll work OK.

    > Maybe Partition Magic isn't such an awful investment after all.

    I prefer Acronis Disk Director Suite myself if you are going to buy something.

    > To answer your question about the backup, I have used something called dfincbackup, which seems to
    > make zip files of both complete
    > partitions and also makes delta zip files of just changes....I've got
    > them on an external drive.

    Doesnt sound like a very satisfactory backup app if it cant restore
    to the new drive with the original partition structure on that.

    > I also did a files and setttings transfer wizard thing from the old computer (an xp pro machine),
    > but it didn't transfer to the new machine....it got to some point and then spent overnight sitting
    > at the same place on the progress bar, with the HD light off and nothing happening except for
    > effectively a CPU burnin test.

    I'd try that again, it does work.

    If you are just moving the data files, no applications etc, you can just connect
    the two PCs with a crossover cable and move the files across that way.

    Or put the drive thats in the old system into the new one temporarily.

+ Reply to Thread