Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ? - Storage ; Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules: 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz and 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ? In other words ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:

    512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    and
    512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz

    Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard that only DDR Rams are
    used or are they recognized automatically ?

    Jason

  2. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:

    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    No.

  3. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:12:22 +0000, Jason Stacy wrote:

    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?
    >
    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    > Jason

    They aren't compatible, you'll need new DIMMs for your new board.

  4. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    No they won't fit in the board.

  5. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Jason Stacy wrote:
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:

    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz

    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the
    > mainboard that only DDR Rams are used or are they recognized
    > automatically ?

    No. Since memory manufacturers want to sell you new stuff,
    they deliberately made no attempt at compatibility.

    Arno

  6. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:

    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?
    >
    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    > Jason

    No, the sockets have different numbers of pins.

  7. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?

    Nope

    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    I don't think they do.

    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?

    Not sure if there is some kind of combo board out there... my guess is
    no.

    > Jason

  8. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    On 03 Jan 2007 17:12:22 GMT, jjstacy@yahoo.net (Jason Stacy) wrote:

    >Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    >512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    >and
    >512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    >Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    >In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    NO !!

    John Lewis

    >If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard that only DDR Rams are
    >used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    >Jason

  9. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    "Jason Stacy" wrote in message
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?
    >
    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard
    > that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    > Jason

    No.

  10. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    "Jason Stacy" wrote in message
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots
    > ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    No. They are completely non-compatible. 240, versus 184 pins.

    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the
    > mainboard that
    > only DDR Rams are used or are they recognized automatically ?

    Doen't apply.

    Best Wishes

  11. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Nope, you'll have to buy some DDR2.

    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

  12. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  13. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    DDR RAM will NOT fit in DDR2 slots. They are incompatible.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------
    "Jason Stacy" wrote in message
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?
    >
    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard
    > that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    > Jason

  14. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    Nope.

    --
    Robert Han**** Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    To email, remove "nospam" from han****r@nospamshaw.ca

  15. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Robert Han**** wrote:
    > Jason Stacy wrote:
    >
    >> Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >>
    >> 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    >> and
    >> 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >>
    >> Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    >> In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    > Nope.

    I definitely see a consensus developing.

  16. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Previously CJT wrote:
    > Robert Han**** wrote:
    >> Jason Stacy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >>>
    >>> 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    >>> and
    >>> 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >>>
    >>> Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    >>> In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    >> Nope.
    >>

    > I definitely see a consensus developing.

    Looks like it. Not too common here ;-)

    Arno

  17. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    No, they don't. Not without breaking either the module or the slot.

  18. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:

    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?

    No. Sorry.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  19. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    "Jason Stacy" wrote in message
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    No you can't, the slots are physically different. Also, if i remember
    correctly, DDR2 uses a lower voltage. (1.8V i think)

    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard
    > that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    > Jason

  20. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    John Lewis schrieb:

    > NO !!
    >

    > John Lewis

    Wouldn't you think the OP got the message by now? Or are you just
    relishing this unusual moment of mutual accordance?

    oO Jesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast