Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ? - Storage

This is a discussion on Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ? - Storage ; "Jason Stacy" wrote in message news:459be3f5$0$5727$9b4e6d93@newsspool3.arcor-online.net... > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules: > > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz > and > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz > > Can I use these RAMs in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    "Jason Stacy" wrote in message
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?
    >
    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard
    > that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    > Jason

    If your MB only supports DDR2, then you need DDR2. I think the slots are
    just a bit different and you would probably break either the MB memory slots
    or the modules if you tried forcing them. My MB (a couple of years old now)
    was one of the transitional DDR2 boards and had two DDR2 and two DDR slots.
    I could use one or the other but not both.

    Ed

  2. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    "Jason Stacy" wrote in message
    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?
    >
    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard
    > that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    > Jason

    Nope DDR is 184 pin and DDR2 is 240 pin

  3. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:12:22 +0000, Jason Stacy wrote:

    > Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    > 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    > and
    > 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    > Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    > In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?
    >
    > If yes: Do I have to switch an option (e.g. in BIOS) to tell the mainboard that only DDR Rams are
    > used or are they recognized automatically ?
    >
    > Jason

    ddr and ddr2 have different slots / sizes / pins / etc. not compatible.

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  4. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:

    >Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >
    >512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    >and
    >512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >
    >Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram slots ?
    >In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?

    No. Try Google. DDR2 is 240 pin. DDR is 184 pin.

  5. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:

    >> Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:
    >>
    >> 512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
    >> and
    >> 512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz
    >>
    >> Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2 ram
    >> slots ?
    >> In other words do DDR rams fit physically into DDR2 ram slots ?
    >>

    > No. Try Google. DDR2 is 240 pin. DDR is 184 pin.

    Doh! I fell for this one too! Crosspost setup to followup to only one
    group so the others look like there has been no reply yet. That'll
    learn me.

  6. Re: Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

    Jason Stacy wrote:

    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.w indowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage ,comp.os.linux.hardware

    Cross-posting idiot. Your "Followup-To" setting caused many people to
    redundantly answer your question, because they didn't see all the
    other responses.

    P.S. Ever hear of a google search?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2