Multiple SATA drives in one enclosure with firewire - Storage

This is a discussion on Multiple SATA drives in one enclosure with firewire - Storage ; Hi, my desks already full, harddrive as well, computer only has firewire left. That's why I want an external enclosure with multiple hard drives. I have a 3.5" SATA left, so that's the internal interface of choice. Is Oxford 924 ...

  1. Multiple SATA drives in one enclosure with firewire

    Hi,
    my desks already full, harddrive as well, computer only has firewire
    left. That's why I want an external enclosure with multiple hard drives.
    I have a 3.5" SATA left, so that's the internal interface of choice.

    Is Oxford 924 the only bridge available?
    How about maximum capacity and ATAPI readyness?

    Computer has 6pin FW400. Can I use FW800 devices?

    I want neither RAID nor combination, every disk should be available as a
    separate device, just like with single drive enclosures. This mode is
    called JBOD?

    Is it correct that some products can only utilize identical drives?

    Your experience with the enclosures below?

    Trans International miniG
    wiebeTECH SilverSATA
    Mapower Multiple Bay
    Stardom brand chaos
    Macpower Taurus

    --
    Tobias Weber

  2. Re: Multiple SATA drives in one enclosure with firewire

    Previously Tobias Weber wrote:
    > Hi,
    > my desks already full, harddrive as well, computer only has firewire
    > left. That's why I want an external enclosure with multiple hard drives.
    > I have a 3.5" SATA left, so that's the internal interface of choice.

    > Is Oxford 924 the only bridge available?
    > How about maximum capacity and ATAPI readyness?

    > Computer has 6pin FW400. Can I use FW800 devices?

    Yes. As FW400.

    > I want neither RAID nor combination, every disk should be available as a
    > separate device, just like with single drive enclosures. This mode is
    > called JBOD?

    No. JBOD is basically linear (append) RAID mode with support
    for different disk-sizes. It was introduced as the "idiot" mode
    were all disks are just lumped together. Apart from the one
    big disk view, it gives you none of the advantages of
    RAID 0, but most of the disadvantages.

    > Is it correct that some products can only utilize identical drives?

    Not to my knowledge. But any RAID (except append mode) needs
    replacement disks exactly the same size or larger than the
    smallest disk at RAID array creation.

    > Your experience with the enclosures below?

    > Trans International miniG
    > wiebeTECH SilverSATA
    > Mapower Multiple Bay
    > Stardom brand chaos
    > Macpower Taurus

    None.

    Arno

  3. Re: Multiple SATA drives in one enclosure with firewire

    Tobias Weber wrote:

    > my desks already full, harddrive as well, computer only has firewire
    > left. That's why I want an external enclosure with multiple hard drives.
    > I have a 3.5" SATA left, so that's the internal interface of choice.

    Then you would be best off adding a sata card to
    the PC and running eSATA to the external drive.

    > Is Oxford 924 the only bridge available?

    Nope.

    > How about maximum capacity and ATAPI readyness?

    The capacity does vary a bit, but most do support drives over 127G now.

    > Computer has 6pin FW400. Can I use FW800 devices?

    Yes, but only at FW400 speeds.

    > I want neither RAID nor combination, every disk should be available as a
    > separate device, just like with single drive enclosures. This mode is called JBOD?

    JBOD can mean what you say, or it can mean all the drives combined
    into one virtual drive which is the sum of the capacity of all the drives.

    > Is it correct that some products can only utilize identical drives?

    No, not if you arent using RAID. And even if you are, you
    dont normally need to use identical drives, it will normally
    just use the smallest drive as the capacity of the RAID.

    > Your experience with the enclosures below?

    > Trans International miniG
    > wiebeTECH SilverSATA
    > Mapower Multiple Bay
    > Stardom brand chaos