I/O error on sector - Storage

This is a discussion on I/O error on sector - Storage ; Could someone please give me some advice. I have got a SATA HDD from a friends computer - a Seagate 120gig. He reports it was starting Windows XP then getting BSOD error. A boot in safe mode shows that it ...

  1. I/O error on sector

    Could someone please give me some advice.

    I have got a SATA HDD from a friends computer - a Seagate 120gig. He
    reports it was starting Windows XP then getting BSOD error.

    A boot in safe mode shows that it was stopping on mup.sys.

    Anyway we put the HDD in my PC to copy the data, but my PC says drive
    is not formatted, format now?

    So we had a look at the HDD with OnTrack Easy Recovery and got back
    most of the important data. A full scan shows I/O Error on Sector.

    My question is whats the best thing to do with this HDD from here?
    Throw it, chkdsk it? format? what?

    Cheers

    -Al

  2. Re: I/O error on sector

    Previously BigAl.NZ@gmail.com wrote:
    > Could someone please give me some advice.

    > I have got a SATA HDD from a friends computer - a Seagate 120gig. He
    > reports it was starting Windows XP then getting BSOD error.

    > A boot in safe mode shows that it was stopping on mup.sys.

    > Anyway we put the HDD in my PC to copy the data, but my PC says drive
    > is not formatted, format now?

    > So we had a look at the HDD with OnTrack Easy Recovery and got back
    > most of the important data. A full scan shows I/O Error on Sector.

    > My question is whats the best thing to do with this HDD from here?
    > Throw it, chkdsk it? format? what?

    Run a lobg SMART selftest and then look at the results (new SMART
    status of the disk). THe occasional (rare) bad sector is a
    possibility on modern disks, even wehen they are working fine.
    Only if you get other warning signs or more bad secors, then
    this is a problem (i.e. warrantly replacement or disposal
    issue).

    Arno

  3. Re: I/O error on sector

    BigAl.NZ@gmail.com wrote:
    > Could someone please give me some advice.
    >
    > I have got a SATA HDD from a friends computer - a Seagate 120gig. He
    > reports it was starting Windows XP then getting BSOD error.
    >
    > A boot in safe mode shows that it was stopping on mup.sys.
    >
    > Anyway we put the HDD in my PC to copy the data, but my PC says drive
    > is not formatted, format now?
    >
    > So we had a look at the HDD with OnTrack Easy Recovery and got back
    > most of the important data. A full scan shows I/O Error on Sector.

    > My question is whats the best thing to do with this HDD from here?

    Post the Everest SMART report on the drive.

    Depending on what that shows, run the hard drive manufacturer's
    diagnostic on the drive and have it reallocate the bad sector if
    there is only one or two pending reallocated sectors. If its got
    lots of reallocated sectors, bin it.

    > Throw it, chkdsk it? format? what?

+ Reply to Thread