Help hard drives keep clicking and dying - Storage

This is a discussion on Help hard drives keep clicking and dying - Storage ; I have an older PC (2.26 ghz 1gb ram)...here is what happened. I bought a new Seagate 400gb HD...unplugged my 120 and 80 GB Maxtors, plugged in the seagate, installed windows Vista (from msdn), was trying to get my Radeon ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 83

  1. Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    I have an older PC (2.26 ghz 1gb ram)...here is what happened.

    I bought a new Seagate 400gb HD...unplugged my 120 and 80 GB Maxtors,
    plugged in the seagate, installed windows Vista (from msdn), was trying
    to get my Radeon card to work with windows aero. Shut down pulled out
    all the pci cards to see if that would help...no help, shut down
    plugged them back in booted and the drive started clicking, then a
    screech, i shut down, reboot and the drive was dead. I packaged the
    new drive up to send back, plugged in the old drives and one of them
    started clicking...i noticed that drive did not appear in windows, i
    immediately shut down and im afraid to turn the computer back on. What
    could be frying my hard drives? I had an external Maxtor USB 300 gb
    drive die 4 months ago which i presume is unrelated...in my whole life
    before this ive never had a hard drive go bad.

    Thanks.

    Other cards:
    SB Audigy
    UAD 1 DSP Processor
    Firewire card
    Radeon XT800 (agp)
    USB 2 (which recently only was working at USB 1.1)

  2. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Oh i forgot to mention. Most people say this is a heat related issue,
    but i dont even have the side of my pc case on, so its as open as you
    can get.

    Chris Milne wrote:
    > I have an older PC (2.26 ghz 1gb ram)...here is what happened.
    >
    > I bought a new Seagate 400gb HD...unplugged my 120 and 80 GB Maxtors,
    > plugged in the seagate, installed windows Vista (from msdn), was trying
    > to get my Radeon card to work with windows aero. Shut down pulled out
    > all the pci cards to see if that would help...no help, shut down
    > plugged them back in booted and the drive started clicking, then a
    > screech, i shut down, reboot and the drive was dead. I packaged the
    > new drive up to send back, plugged in the old drives and one of them
    > started clicking...i noticed that drive did not appear in windows, i
    > immediately shut down and im afraid to turn the computer back on. What
    > could be frying my hard drives? I had an external Maxtor USB 300 gb
    > drive die 4 months ago which i presume is unrelated...in my whole life
    > before this ive never had a hard drive go bad.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Other cards:
    > SB Audigy
    > UAD 1 DSP Processor
    > Firewire card
    > Radeon XT800 (agp)
    > USB 2 (which recently only was working at USB 1.1)

  3. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Chris Milne wrote:

    > I have an older PC (2.26 ghz 1gb ram)...here is what happened.

    > I bought a new Seagate 400gb HD...unplugged my 120 and 80 GB
    > Maxtors, plugged in the seagate, installed windows Vista (from msdn),
    > was trying to get my Radeon card to work with windows aero. Shut
    > down pulled out all the pci cards to see if that would help...no help,
    > shut down plugged them back in booted and the drive started
    > clicking, then a screech, i shut down, reboot and the drive was dead.
    > I packaged the new drive up to send back, plugged in the old drives
    > and one of them started clicking...

    Then the problem is much more likely to be with the system than the drive.

    The best test is to see if the Seagate works in another system
    and even if it doesnt, it may well be the system killing the drives.

    > i noticed that drive did not appear in windows, i immediately
    > shut down and im afraid to turn the computer back on.
    > What could be frying my hard drives?

    You dont know that anything is yet.

    > I had an external Maxtor USB 300 gb drive
    > die 4 months ago which i presume is unrelated...

    Very likely, particularly given that those are notorious for
    their obscene failure rates. They basically run the drives
    with inadequate cooling and Maxtor drives hate that.

    > in my whole life before this ive never had a hard drive go bad.

    Yeah, I've only ever had one go bad myself.

    > Most people say this is a heat related issue, but i dont even
    > have the side of my pc case on, so its as open as you can get.

    That wont necessarily cool the drives adequately, particularly if you
    have the drives all stacked adjacent with no free slot between them.
    See what Everest says about the drive temps when you have fixed
    what is killing the drives if something is actually doing that.

    A system can kill hard drives with a bad power supply.
    Best check the drives that click in a completely different
    system to see if they are actually dead. If they are, I'd
    bin the power supply even if it measures correctly.

    Its also possible to kill drives by handling the
    system roughly with the drives spinning too.

    > Other cards:
    > SB Audigy
    > UAD 1 DSP Processor
    > Firewire card
    > Radeon XT800 (agp)
    > USB 2 (which recently only was working at USB 1.1)

  4. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Thanks ill try your suggestions. I didnt handle the drives roughly and
    they're not stacked close to each other normally..however while testing
    the new seagate it was sitting on another drive (that wasnt plugged in)
    for a short while.

    Another thing to note is that if my computer crashes sometimes the BIOS
    can't reset the time, i read in a few threads that a bad battery can
    cause problems...what are your thoughts on that?

    Thanks.

    Chris

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Chris Milne wrote:
    >
    > > I have an older PC (2.26 ghz 1gb ram)...here is what happened.

    > > I bought a new Seagate 400gb HD...unplugged my 120 and 80 GB
    > > Maxtors, plugged in the seagate, installed windows Vista (from msdn),
    > > was trying to get my Radeon card to work with windows aero. Shut
    > > down pulled out all the pci cards to see if that would help...no help,
    > > shut down plugged them back in booted and the drive started
    > > clicking, then a screech, i shut down, reboot and the drive was dead.
    > > I packaged the new drive up to send back, plugged in the old drives
    > > and one of them started clicking...

    > Then the problem is much more likely to be with the system than the drive.
    >
    > The best test is to see if the Seagate works in another system
    > and even if it doesnt, it may well be the system killing the drives.
    >
    > > i noticed that drive did not appear in windows, i immediately
    > > shut down and im afraid to turn the computer back on.
    > > What could be frying my hard drives?

    > You dont know that anything is yet.
    >
    > > I had an external Maxtor USB 300 gb drive
    > > die 4 months ago which i presume is unrelated...

    > Very likely, particularly given that those are notorious for
    > their obscene failure rates. They basically run the drives
    > with inadequate cooling and Maxtor drives hate that.
    >
    > > in my whole life before this ive never had a hard drive go bad.

    > Yeah, I've only ever had one go bad myself.
    >
    > > Most people say this is a heat related issue, but i dont even
    > > have the side of my pc case on, so its as open as you can get.

    > That wont necessarily cool the drives adequately, particularly if you
    > have the drives all stacked adjacent with no free slot between them.
    > See what Everest says about the drive temps when you have fixed
    > what is killing the drives if something is actually doing that.
    >
    > A system can kill hard drives with a bad power supply.
    > Best check the drives that click in a completely different
    > system to see if they are actually dead. If they are, I'd
    > bin the power supply even if it measures correctly.
    >
    > Its also possible to kill drives by handling the
    > system roughly with the drives spinning too.
    >
    > > Other cards:
    > > SB Audigy
    > > UAD 1 DSP Processor
    > > Firewire card
    > > Radeon XT800 (agp)
    > > USB 2 (which recently only was working at USB 1.1)

  5. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Chris Milne wrote:

    > Thanks ill try your suggestions. I didnt handle the drives
    > roughly and they're not stacked close to each other normally..
    > however while testing the new seagate it was sitting on
    > another drive (that wasnt plugged in) for a short while.

    That shouldnt have been a problem temperature wise,
    particularly as you are presumably in winter there.

    > Another thing to note is that if my computer crashes sometimes
    > the BIOS can't reset the time, i read in a few threads that a bad
    > battery can cause problems...what are your thoughts on that?

    It wont cause drive clicking. Thats more likely to be a bad power supply.

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> Chris Milne wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an older PC (2.26 ghz 1gb ram)...here is what happened.

    >>> I bought a new Seagate 400gb HD...unplugged my 120 and 80 GB
    >>> Maxtors, plugged in the seagate, installed windows Vista (from
    >>> msdn), was trying to get my Radeon card to work with windows aero.
    >>> Shut down pulled out all the pci cards to see if that would
    >>> help...no help, shut down plugged them back in booted and the drive
    >>> started
    >>> clicking, then a screech, i shut down, reboot and the drive was
    >>> dead. I packaged the new drive up to send back, plugged in the old
    >>> drives and one of them started clicking...

    >> Then the problem is much more likely to be with the system than the
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> The best test is to see if the Seagate works in another system
    >> and even if it doesnt, it may well be the system killing the drives.
    >>
    >>> i noticed that drive did not appear in windows, i immediately
    >>> shut down and im afraid to turn the computer back on.
    >>> What could be frying my hard drives?

    >> You dont know that anything is yet.
    >>
    >>> I had an external Maxtor USB 300 gb drive
    >>> die 4 months ago which i presume is unrelated...

    >> Very likely, particularly given that those are notorious for
    >> their obscene failure rates. They basically run the drives
    >> with inadequate cooling and Maxtor drives hate that.
    >>
    >>> in my whole life before this ive never had a hard drive go bad.

    >> Yeah, I've only ever had one go bad myself.
    >>
    >>> Most people say this is a heat related issue, but i dont even
    >>> have the side of my pc case on, so its as open as you can get.

    >> That wont necessarily cool the drives adequately, particularly if you
    >> have the drives all stacked adjacent with no free slot between them.
    >> See what Everest says about the drive temps when you have fixed
    >> what is killing the drives if something is actually doing that.
    >>
    >> A system can kill hard drives with a bad power supply.
    >> Best check the drives that click in a completely different
    >> system to see if they are actually dead. If they are, I'd
    >> bin the power supply even if it measures correctly.
    >>
    >> Its also possible to kill drives by handling the
    >> system roughly with the drives spinning too.
    >>
    >>> Other cards:
    >>> SB Audigy
    >>> UAD 1 DSP Processor
    >>> Firewire card
    >>> Radeon XT800 (agp)
    >>> USB 2 (which recently only was working at USB 1.1)

  6. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Previously Chris Milne wrote:
    > Thanks ill try your suggestions. I didnt handle the drives roughly and
    > they're not stacked close to each other normally..however while testing
    > the new seagate it was sitting on another drive (that wasnt plugged in)
    > for a short while.

    Sjould not be a problem...

    > Another thing to note is that if my computer crashes sometimes the BIOS
    > can't reset the time, i read in a few threads that a bad battery can
    > cause problems...what are your thoughts on that?

    What do you mean by "reset the time"?

    Arno

  7. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    If i get a hard reset i get the msg

    CMOS/GPNV Checksum bad. If i go in to the BIOS setup the system date
    is reset to 01/01/2002.

    ....ok i replaced the battery, i got a DMM and measured the Power supply
    at 5.14V. The BIOS does not have any pc health monitoring stuff, i'm
    about to hook an old drive i found in the closet to it and see what
    happens.

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Chris Milne wrote:
    > > Thanks ill try your suggestions. I didnt handle the drives roughly and
    > > they're not stacked close to each other normally..however while testing
    > > the new seagate it was sitting on another drive (that wasnt plugged in)
    > > for a short while.

    > Sjould not be a problem...
    >
    > > Another thing to note is that if my computer crashes sometimes the BIOS
    > > can't reset the time, i read in a few threads that a bad battery can
    > > cause problems...what are your thoughts on that?

    > What do you mean by "reset the time"?
    >
    > Arno

  8. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    This hard drive has linux on it (its an old one)...with memtest86 so
    ill get that out of the way too...its running now. Im going to put
    windows on here and install intel's motherboard monitoring software.

    Chris

    Chris Milne wrote:
    > If i get a hard reset i get the msg
    >
    > CMOS/GPNV Checksum bad. If i go in to the BIOS setup the system date
    > is reset to 01/01/2002.
    >
    > ...ok i replaced the battery, i got a DMM and measured the Power supply
    > at 5.14V. The BIOS does not have any pc health monitoring stuff, i'm
    > about to hook an old drive i found in the closet to it and see what
    > happens.
    >

    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously Chris Milne wrote:
    > > > Thanks ill try your suggestions. I didnt handle the drives roughly and
    > > > they're not stacked close to each other normally..however while testing
    > > > the new seagate it was sitting on another drive (that wasnt plugged in)
    > > > for a short while.

    > > Sjould not be a problem...
    > >
    > > > Another thing to note is that if my computer crashes sometimes the BIOS
    > > > can't reset the time, i read in a few threads that a bad battery can
    > > > cause problems...what are your thoughts on that?

    > > What do you mean by "reset the time"?
    > >
    > > Arno

  9. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    I forgot to post the 12 V setting, its at 11.65

    Memtest has been running for 3 hours, no errors (89% complete). The
    hard drive attached doesnt seem to have died yet. I got an external
    USB 2 enclosure and attached the suspected dead drive and it did not
    show up (another drive that works worked fine). The dead drive is not
    clicking and is spinning, just refuses to show up in windows.

    Chris Milne wrote:
    > This hard drive has linux on it (its an old one)...with memtest86 so
    > ill get that out of the way too...its running now. Im going to put
    > windows on here and install intel's motherboard monitoring software.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > Chris Milne wrote:
    > > If i get a hard reset i get the msg
    > >
    > > CMOS/GPNV Checksum bad. If i go in to the BIOS setup the system date
    > > is reset to 01/01/2002.
    > >
    > > ...ok i replaced the battery, i got a DMM and measured the Power supply
    > > at 5.14V. The BIOS does not have any pc health monitoring stuff, i'm
    > > about to hook an old drive i found in the closet to it and see what
    > > happens.
    > >

    > > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Sjould not be a problem...

    > > > What do you mean by "reset the time"?
    > > >
    > > > Arno

  10. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Chris Milne wrote:

    > I forgot to post the 12 V setting, its at 11.65

    That doesnt prove much about what it might sag to etc tho.

    Corse the two drives clicking might have been a coincidence too.

    > Memtest has been running for 3 hours, no errors (89% complete). The
    > hard drive attached doesnt seem to have died yet. I got an external
    > USB 2 enclosure and attached the suspected dead drive and it did not
    > show up (another drive that works worked fine). The dead drive is not
    > clicking and is spinning, just refuses to show up in windows.
    >
    > Chris Milne wrote:
    >> This hard drive has linux on it (its an old one)...with memtest86 so
    >> ill get that out of the way too...its running now. Im going to put
    >> windows on here and install intel's motherboard monitoring software.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> Chris Milne wrote:
    >>> If i get a hard reset i get the msg
    >>>
    >>> CMOS/GPNV Checksum bad. If i go in to the BIOS setup the system
    >>> date is reset to 01/01/2002.
    >>>
    >>> ...ok i replaced the battery, i got a DMM and measured the Power
    >>> supply at 5.14V. The BIOS does not have any pc health monitoring
    >>> stuff, i'm about to hook an old drive i found in the closet to it
    >>> and see what happens.

  11. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Would be a heck of a coincidence...one is 3 to 4 years old the other
    was straight out of the box, 2 hours old. Died within min's of each
    other. Could have been some crazy power supply surge that corrected
    itself?

    Don't know...installing XP on this old HD and let it run a while before
    i connect anything important, in the mean time im going to use the USB
    enclosure on teh last good drive and make sure i back everything up on
    dvd's.

    Chris Milne wrote:

    > Would be a heck of a coincidence...

    Sure, but once you have ruled out the other obvious possibilitys
    like physical abuse, temperature and you get the same thing with a
    different power supply, you have to consider that unlikely possibility.

    > one is 3 to 4 years old the other was straight out of the box, 2 hours old.

    Yes, but the Seagate does now look like it has died
    since it doesnt work in a different system, the external
    box, so its almost certainly just another infant mortality.

    > Died within min's of each other. Could have been
    > some crazy power supply surge that corrected itself?

    Yes, that's certainly possible. Basically the regulator goes
    mad and over voltages the rails and then starts working
    again. That wont necessarily kill everything powered from it.

    Time will tell on that, particularly if it kills the replacement Seagate later again.

    > Don't know...installing XP on this old HD and let
    > it run a while before i connect anything important,

    I'd personally replace the power supply to be safe, but then I can
    afford to play safe like that and am happy to pay for that sort of
    insurance when it doesnt cost the much like with a power supply.

    And I have a decent max/min multimeter that I can use
    to monitor for that sort of failing power supply too.

    > in the mean time im going to use the USB enclosure on teh last good drive

    Yeah, wise move.

    > and make sure i back everything up on dvd's.

    I always do that all the time anyway, at least
    the stuff that isnt readily replaceable anyway.

    I dont even do anything with the hardware unless that is up to date.

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> Chris Milne wrote:
    >>
    >>> I forgot to post the 12 V setting, its at 11.65

    >> That doesnt prove much about what it might sag to etc tho.
    >>
    >> Corse the two drives clicking might have been a coincidence too.
    >>
    >>> Memtest has been running for 3 hours, no errors (89% complete). The
    >>> hard drive attached doesnt seem to have died yet. I got an
    >>> external USB 2 enclosure and attached the suspected dead drive and
    >>> it did not show up (another drive that works worked fine). The
    >>> dead drive is not clicking and is spinning, just refuses to show up
    >>> in windows.

  13. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Previously Chris Milne wrote:
    > I forgot to post the 12 V setting, its at 11.65

    > Memtest has been running for 3 hours, no errors (89% complete). The
    > hard drive attached doesnt seem to have died yet. I got an external
    > USB 2 enclosure and attached the suspected dead drive and it did not
    > show up (another drive that works worked fine). The dead drive is not
    > clicking and is spinning, just refuses to show up in windows.

    Hmm. Maybe it was a coincidence. Unlikely, but possible....

    Arno

    > Chris Milne wrote:
    >> This hard drive has linux on it (its an old one)...with memtest86 so
    >> ill get that out of the way too...its running now. Im going to put
    >> windows on here and install intel's motherboard monitoring software.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> Chris Milne wrote:
    >> > If i get a hard reset i get the msg
    >> >
    >> > CMOS/GPNV Checksum bad. If i go in to the BIOS setup the system date
    >> > is reset to 01/01/2002.
    >> >
    >> > ...ok i replaced the battery, i got a DMM and measured the Power supply
    >> > at 5.14V. The BIOS does not have any pc health monitoring stuff, i'm
    >> > about to hook an old drive i found in the closet to it and see what
    >> > happens.

  14. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    You have just identified the problem. 12 volts is too low. Also the
    5 volts being on the high side implies the power supply has hit its
    limit.

    Chances are the drives are not physically damaged but data may be
    corrupted. Get manufacturer diagnostics. With only that one drive
    attached, execute those diagnostics. This eliminates complications of
    thing like Vista. With only one drive attached, first confirm all four
    voltages - purple, orange, yellow, and red wire. Those numbers must
    exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7. Then execute the manufacturer diagnostic
    to discover what is and is not working in each drive.

    Again, 12 volts at only 11.65 and 5 volts so high at 5.12 - these are
    not good numbers. 12 volts is woefully too low and the 5 volts
    suggests the power supply power supply is not large enough for that 12
    volt load.

    Chris Milne wrote:
    > I forgot to post the 12 V setting, its at 11.65
    >
    > Memtest has been running for 3 hours, no errors (89% complete). The
    > hard drive attached doesnt seem to have died yet. I got an external
    > USB 2 enclosure and attached the suspected dead drive and it did not
    > show up (another drive that works worked fine). The dead drive is not
    > clicking and is spinning, just refuses to show up in windows.

  15. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Chris Milne wrote:
    > I forgot to post the 12 V setting, its at 11.65
    >
    > Memtest has been running for 3 hours, no errors (89% complete). The
    > hard drive attached doesnt seem to have died yet. I got an external
    > USB 2 enclosure and attached the suspected dead drive and it did not
    > show up (another drive that works worked fine). The dead drive is not
    > clicking and is spinning, just refuses to show up in windows.

  16. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Previously w_tom wrote:
    > You have just identified the problem. 12 volts is too low. Also the
    > 5 volts being on the high side implies the power supply has hit its
    > limit.

    Actually it is not. 12V is a 10% tolerance voltage (new ATX standard
    says 5%, but allows a peak deviation of 10%). That means 10.8V
    .... 13.2V are fine. Even with 5%, 11.4V ... 12.6V is the acceptable
    range.

    > Chances are the drives are not physically damaged but data may be
    > corrupted. Get manufacturer diagnostics. With only that one drive
    > attached, execute those diagnostics. This eliminates complications of
    > thing like Vista. With only one drive attached, first confirm all four
    > voltages - purple, orange, yellow, and red wire. Those numbers must
    > exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7.

    Definitely not. According to the ATX standard, 3.3V, 5V, 12V are all
    5% tolerance voltages (with 10% on the 12V under "peak loading"
    conditions). Lowest acceptable levels are 3.14V, 4.75V and 11.4V.

    > Then execute the manufacturer diagnostic
    > to discover what is and is not working in each drive.

    > Again, 12 volts at only 11.65 and 5 volts so high at 5.12 - these are
    > not good numbers. 12 volts is woefully too low and the 5 volts
    > suggests the power supply power supply is not large enough for that 12
    > volt load.

    These are perfectly fine numbers. 12V is within 3% and 5V is
    within 2.4% of the target voltage, i.e. far below the allowed
    5% tolerance. These voltages will not cause any problem.

    Arno

  17. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    "w_tom" wrote in
    news:1167483854.958489.107310@n51g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com:

    > You have just identified the problem. 12 volts is too low.

    Wrong.

    > Also the
    > 5 volts being on the high side implies the power supply has hit
    > its limit.

    Wrong.

    > Those numbers must exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7.

    Wrong.

    > Again, 12 volts at only 11.65 and 5 volts so high at 5.12 -
    > these are not good numbers.

    Wrong.

  18. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    Previously w_tom wrote:
    > You have just identified the problem. 12 volts is too low. Also the
    > 5 volts being on the high side implies the power supply has hit its
    > limit.

    > Chances are the drives are not physically damaged but data may be
    > corrupted. Get manufacturer diagnostics. With only that one drive
    > attached, execute those diagnostics. This eliminates complications of
    > thing like Vista. With only one drive attached, first confirm all four
    > voltages - purple, orange, yellow, and red wire. Those numbers must
    > exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7. Then execute the manufacturer diagnostic
    > to discover what is and is not working in each drive.

    > Again, 12 volts at only 11.65 and 5 volts so high at 5.12 - these are
    > not good numbers. 12 volts is woefully too low and the 5 volts
    > suggests the power supply power supply is not large enough for that 12
    > volt load.

    This is nonsense. The voltages are well within the allowed tolerances,
    fairly typical and are not the cause of the problem.

    Please read the respective standards before posting such grossly
    wrong information.

    Arno

    > Chris Milne wrote:
    >> I forgot to post the 12 V setting, its at 11.65
    >>
    >> Memtest has been running for 3 hours, no errors (89% complete). The
    >> hard drive attached doesnt seem to have died yet. I got an external
    >> USB 2 enclosure and attached the suspected dead drive and it did not
    >> show up (another drive that works worked fine). The dead drive is not
    >> clicking and is spinning, just refuses to show up in windows.

  19. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    w_tom wrote:

    > You have just identified the problem. 12 volts is too low.

    Wrong, the legal minimum is 11.4

    > Also the 5 volts being on the high side
    > implies the power supply has hit its limit.

    Not a clue, as always.

    > Chances are the drives are not physically damaged but data may be
    > corrupted. Get manufacturer diagnostics. With only that one drive
    > attached, execute those diagnostics. This eliminates complications
    > of thing like Vista. With only one drive attached, first confirm all
    > four voltages - purple, orange, yellow, and red wire. Those numbers
    > must exceed 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7.

    Wrong, as always. Its actually 3.14, 4.75, 11.4 and
    the 12V rail is allowed to vary by 10% on peak load too.

    Those are the numbers from the ATA standard, not your arse.

    Not a ****ing clue, as always.

    > and the 5 volts suggests the power supply power
    > supply is not large enough for that 12 volt load.

    Not a ****ing clue, as always.

    And have fun explaining how come the Seagate doesnt
    work in an external box that powers another drive fine too.

    > Chris Milne wrote:
    >> I forgot to post the 12 V setting, its at 11.65
    >>
    >> Memtest has been running for 3 hours, no errors (89% complete). The
    >> hard drive attached doesnt seem to have died yet. I got an external
    >> USB 2 enclosure and attached the suspected dead drive and it did not
    >> show up (another drive that works worked fine). The dead drive is
    >> not clicking and is spinning, just refuses to show up in windows.

  20. Re: Help hard drives keep clicking and dying

    The numbers McSpreader (should have) provided from Intel specs would
    be fine IF measured were the actual voltage. But because of how meters
    work, minimum voltages are 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7. The OP has a failure.
    He has provided voltage numbers that explain that failure. Those with
    some experience (those who rather than only read spec sheets) recognize
    that 11.655 and 5.12 are symptoms of a power supply problem. A problem
    that can be observed with more (expensive) equipment or with experience
    designing power supplies. McSpreader (and another who proves his
    manhood with insults and four letter words) don't have any such
    experience. It shows in the technical supporting facts they have
    posted.

    Meter numbers suggest a power supply that cannot provide sufficient
    power on 12 volts and may also have excessive ripple voltage. Also
    provided is how to confirm disk drive integrity using only one disk on
    that system, verifying voltages with only one drive, and then using
    manufacturer's hardware diagnostic to confirm disk drive hardware
    integrity.

    Strongly recommended is to ignore McSpreader and other firebrands who
    did not do this stuff for a few decades. McSpreader does what any Rush
    Limbaugh fan would do to prove their superiority. Wrong... Wrong...
    Wrong .. and not one supporting technical fact. Those minimum
    numbers 3.23, 4.87, and 11.7 are when using the standard 3.5 digit
    multimeter. McSpreader, et al would have known that with sufficient
    experience.

    McSpreader wrote:
    > Wrong.
    >
    > Wrong.