Re: Ghost or something like it? - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: Ghost or something like it? - Storage ; So, the obvious question- if True Image is that good, why is it out of business while Ghost continues? Better marketers? Joe "mike" wrote in message news:1GWjh.7092$Rc5.5448@trnddc01... > Rod Speed wrote: >> Joe wrote: >> >> >>>OK, my Dell system ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. Re: Ghost or something like it?

    "mike" wrote in message
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>

    >>>OK, my Dell system crashed last week. With help from a Dell tech support
    >>>guy, I did a quick format and reinstalled everything. Not doing the
    >>>format, that is, just trying to get the Restore disk to do a "fix files"
    >>>routine didn't work.

    >>>Luckily I had backed up most important stuff, but it still took many
    >>>hours to reinstall everything.

    >>>So, now I'd like to try a better way- I've heard that Ghost can make an
    >>>image of your drive- if it's backed up onto another drive, then you can
    >>>restore everything very quickly- or so I'm told.

    >> Correct, but there are better equivalents around.
    >>

    >>>But, I'd like to know how do you do it? That is, let's say you
    >>>install a new drive - and the backup drive. You then format as usual
    >>>the new drive- can you then get Ghost (from a floppy I presume) to
    >>>copy the image off the backup drive onto the new drive and you're
    >>>back to where you were?

    >> Yes, and you dont need to format the new drive, the restore does that.
    >> And the modern imagers dont use floppys anymore, you boot a CD instead.
    >>

    >>>Would I need to buy the same sized drive that crashed or just an equal or
    >>>larger drive?

    >> Anything that it will fit on basically. So if the original was only
    >> half full, you wouldnt even need the same size replacement.
    >>

    >>>What else do I need to know to make a Ghost restoration as quickly and
    >>>conveniently as possible?

    >> Just dont use Ghost, use True Image instead.
    >>

    >>>And, what other similar software is available?

    >> I prefer True Image myself. Does everything Ghost does and does
    >> it a lot more safely, particularly with incremental images, and does
    >> quite a bit more than Ghost does too. And its cheaper than Ghost too.
    >>

    > Acronis gave away trueimage 7 a while back.
    > See if you can find this to download:
    >
    > trueimage7.0.638_s_en.exe
    >
    > You had to sign up and they sent you a free serial number.
    > This may no longer be available, but it seems that they gave everybody
    > the same serial number, so shouldn't be too hard to find.
    >
    > Works great.

  2. Re: Ghost or something like it?

    Joe wrote:
    > So, the obvious question- if True Image is that good, why is it out of
    > business while Ghost continues? Better marketers?

    It isn't OOB, it's up to v10.

    Keith.

  3. Re: Ghost or something like it?

    Previously Joe wrote:
    > So, the obvious question- if True Image is that good, why is it out of
    > business while Ghost continues? Better marketers?

    > Joe

    What else? Why is MS so large with their abysmally bad technology?
    Why did VHS make it?

    Arno

  4. Re: Ghost or something like it?

    Joe wrote

    > So, the obvious question- if True Image is that good, why is it out of business

    It isnt.

    > while Ghost continues? Better marketers?

    Or your pig ignorance.

    > "mike" wrote in message
    >> Rod Speed wrote:

    >>> Correct, but there are better equivalents around.

    >>> Yes, and you dont need to format the new drive, the restore does
    >>> that. And the modern imagers dont use floppys anymore, you boot a
    >>> CD instead.
    >>>

    >>> Anything that it will fit on basically. So if the original was only
    >>> half full, you wouldnt even need the same size replacement.

    >>> Just dont use Ghost, use True Image instead.

    >>> I prefer True Image myself. Does everything Ghost does and does
    >>> it a lot more safely, particularly with incremental images, and does
    >>> quite a bit more than Ghost does too. And its cheaper than Ghost
    >>> too.

    >> Acronis gave away trueimage 7 a while back.
    >> See if you can find this to download:
    >>
    >> trueimage7.0.638_s_en.exe
    >>
    >> You had to sign up and they sent you a free serial number.
    >> This may no longer be available, but it seems that they gave
    >> everybody the same serial number, so shouldn't be too hard to find.
    >>
    >> Works great.

  5. Re: Ghost or something like it?

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously Joe wrote:
    > > So, the obvious question- if True Image is that good, why is it out of
    > > business while Ghost continues? Better marketers?

    > > Joe

    > What else? Why is MS so large with their abysmally bad technology?
    > Why did VHS make it?
    >
    > Arno

    Hello, Arno:

    VHS "made it," because it offered more recording time than Betamax did,
    and at a nominal hit in video quality. There's nothing "abysmally bad"
    about it...not even remotely so.

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  6. installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    I emailed True Image and asked if I could install it on more than one home
    computer- they wrote back that I must buy a copy for each computer. But, if
    I try to install it on more than one home computer (not that I would )-
    but if I did, would they all work? The reason I wonder is that you can't get
    away with doing that with MS stuff since you need to register MS's OSs and
    Office or they'll stop working- and they'll catch you- unless you're a
    hacker and know how to get away with it.

    What about Ghost? If I buy it, can I install it legally on more than one
    home computer?

    Heck, such utility software should give us a break and let us legally
    install on more than one computer- and yes, it would be fair to charge extra
    per computer, but not the full price per computer- a fair charge per
    computer I can handle.

    Joe

  7. Re: Ghost or something like it?

    Previously John Turco wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >>
    >> Previously Joe wrote:
    >> > So, the obvious question- if True Image is that good, why is it out of
    >> > business while Ghost continues? Better marketers?

    >> > Joe

    >> What else? Why is MS so large with their abysmally bad technology?
    >> Why did VHS make it?
    >>
    >> Arno

    > Hello, Arno:

    > VHS "made it," because it offered more recording time than Betamax did,
    > and at a nominal hit in video quality. There's nothing "abysmally bad"
    > about it...not even remotely so.

    Not applying the "abysmally bad" to VHS. Still, the quality hit was
    quite visible. We had Betamax equipment at shool for the video
    equipment.

    Arno

  8. Re: Ghost or something like it?

    Previously Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously John Turco wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> What else? Why is MS so large with their abysmally bad technology?
    >>> Why did VHS make it?
    >>>
    >>> Arno

    >> Hello, Arno:

    >> VHS "made it," because it offered more recording time than Betamax did,
    >> and at a nominal hit in video quality. There's nothing "abysmally bad"
    >> about it...not even remotely so.

    > Not applying the "abysmally bad" to VHS. Still, the quality hit was
    > quite visible. We had Betamax equipment at shool for the video
    > equipment.

    Forgot to say that this was all PAL. With "Never The Same Color"
    (NTSC), it might not have been too visible.

    Arno

  9. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    Joe wrote:

    > I emailed True Image and asked if I could install it on more than one home computer- they wrote
    > back that I must buy a copy for each computer. But, if I try to install it on more than one home
    > computer (not that I would )- but if I did, would they all work?

    Yep, it doesnt bother to check if its been installed previously.

    > The reason I wonder is that you can't get away with doing that with MS stuff
    > since you need to register MS's OSs and Office or they'll stop working-

    No they dont.

    > and they'll catch you- unless you're a hacker and know how to get away with it.

    > What about Ghost? If I buy it, can I install it legally on more than one home computer?

    Nope, and it trys harder to check if you are doing that.

    > Heck, such utility software should give us a break and let us legally install on more than one
    > computer- and yes, it would be fair to charge extra per computer, but not the full price per
    > computer- a fair charge per computer I can handle.

    They consider the sticker price to be that.

  10. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 06:14:47 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > I emailed True Image and asked if I could install it on more than one home
    > computer- they wrote back that I must buy a copy for each computer. But, if
    > I try to install it on more than one home computer (not that I would )-
    > but if I did, would they all work? The reason I wonder is that you can't get
    > away with doing that with MS stuff since you need to register MS's OSs and
    > Office or they'll stop working- and they'll catch you- unless you're a
    > hacker and know how to get away with it.
    >
    > What about Ghost? If I buy it, can I install it legally on more than one
    > home computer?
    >
    > Heck, such utility software should give us a break and let us legally
    > install on more than one computer- and yes, it would be fair to charge extra
    > per computer, but not the full price per computer- a fair charge per
    > computer I can handle.
    >
    > Joe

    Well, you don't need to install Acronis True Image on each computer to use
    it on any computer. You install it to one computer and then you use it to
    make a boot cdrom. You can use that boot cdrom with any computer (not
    legally but it is a grey area and they have no way of knowing). You should
    be using the boot cdrom to do your imaging and restores anyway. I never use
    the Windows version.

  11. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    Contumeliorus Florius wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 06:14:47 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> I emailed True Image and asked if I could install it on more than
    >> one home computer- they wrote back that I must buy a copy for each
    >> computer. But, if I try to install it on more than one home computer
    >> (not that I would )- but if I did, would they all work? The
    >> reason I wonder is that you can't get away with doing that with MS
    >> stuff since you need to register MS's OSs and Office or they'll stop
    >> working- and they'll catch you- unless you're a hacker and know how
    >> to get away with it.
    >>
    >> What about Ghost? If I buy it, can I install it legally on more than
    >> one home computer?
    >>
    >> Heck, such utility software should give us a break and let us legally
    >> install on more than one computer- and yes, it would be fair to
    >> charge extra per computer, but not the full price per computer- a
    >> fair charge per computer I can handle.

    > Well, you don't need to install Acronis True Image on each
    > computer to use it on any computer. You install it to one
    > computer and then you use it to make a boot cdrom. You can use
    > that boot cdrom with any computer (not legally but it is a grey area

    Nope. They dont allow that, no grey area what so ever, legally.

    > and they have no way of knowing).

    Its quite feasible to know, Symantec does, Acronis doesnt bother.

    > You should be using the boot cdrom to
    > do your imaging and restores anyway.

    Wrong, you cant get incremental and differential images that way.

    > I never use the Windows version.

    More fool you. Incremental and differential images have lots of advantages,
    most obviously with very quick differential images just before you install or
    modify something, so you can conveniently roll back to the pre install state,
    if the system restore doesnt do the job, as it sometimes doesnt.

  12. Re: Ghost or something like it?

    "John Turco" wrote in message

    > Hello, Arno:
    >
    > VHS "made it," because it offered more recording time than Betamax did,
    > and at a nominal hit in video quality. There's nothing "abysmally bad"
    > about it...not even remotely so.

    But V2000 had the best of both worlds, you could even turn the cassettes
    over and record on the "other side" too. Better marketting for VHS ensured
    that V2000 as a VCR sank without trace, although this is the technology used
    (AIUI) in 8mm camcorders.

    Keith.

  13. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Contumeliorus Florius wrote:
    >> On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 06:14:47 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >>

    >> Well, you don't need to install Acronis True Image on each
    >> computer to use it on any computer. You install it to one
    >> computer and then you use it to make a boot cdrom. You can use
    >> that boot cdrom with any computer (not legally but it is a grey area

    > Nope. They dont allow that, no grey area what so ever, legally.

    I don't understand Acronis' licensing. They say you can use True Image on
    more than one PC provided that you only have it installed on one at a time.
    That's just daft - why not just limit you to using one instance at a time?

    Keith.

  14. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >> I emailed True Image and asked if I could install it on more than one
    >> home computer- they wrote back that I must buy a copy for each computer.
    >> But, if I try to install it on more than one home computer (not that I
    >> would )- but if I did, would they all work?

    > Yep, it doesnt bother to check if its been installed previously.
    >
    >> The reason I wonder is that you can't get away with doing that with MS
    >> stuff
    >> since you need to register MS's OSs and Office or they'll stop working-

    > No they dont.

    (snipped)

    Really? Uh.... I don't know why I thought the MS stuff would fail if you
    don't register- I thought I saw once a warning that after a certain time,
    that XP and Office would stop working or work at a reduced level.

    Like, lets say you purchased a computer with XP and Office- then after a few
    years the hard drive fails- you build a new computer and try to install
    those copies of XP and Office- if you had registered XP and Office with the
    original computer- then you try to register them with the newly built
    computer- that MS could tell that it's a different machine because the
    registration process sends MS info on the hardware- and then MS won't
    register the software.

    Joe

  15. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    I'm now curious about how long it takes for either of these programs to make
    a full image of say, a drive with 30 gigs of stuff on it. Say you're
    stroring that 30 gigs of stuff on an external drive- how much slower will it
    take to go to the external drive compared to an internal second drive?

    Is the image compressed or exactly as on the original?

    Joe

  16. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    Joe wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Joe wrote

    >>> I emailed True Image and asked if I could install it on more than
    >>> one home computer- they wrote back that I must buy a copy for each computer. But, if I try to
    >>> install it on more than one home
    >>> computer (not that I would )- but if I did, would they all work?

    >> Yep, it doesnt bother to check if its been installed previously.

    >>> The reason I wonder is that you can't get away with doing that with MS stuff
    >>> since you need to register MS's OSs and Office or they'll stop working-

    >> No they dont.

    > Really?

    Yep, really.

    > Uh.... I don't know why I thought the MS stuff would fail if you don't register- I thought I saw
    > once a warning that after a certain time, that XP and Office would stop working or work at a
    > reduced level.

    Pity that is only a subset of 'MS stuff'. Doesnt happen with the corp
    versions, or the OEM versions that come preinstalled on hardware.

    > Like, lets say you purchased a computer with XP and Office- then
    > after a few years the hard drive fails- you build a new computer and
    > try to install those copies of XP and Office- if you had registered
    > XP and Office with the original computer- then you try to register
    > them with the newly built computer- that MS could tell that it's a
    > different machine because the registration process sends MS info on the hardware- and then MS
    > won't register the software.

    Pity that a system that comes with XP and Office preinstalled isnt
    registered with MS and so MS wont even notice when you use the restore
    process that came with that system to put it onto the new hard drive.

  17. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    Joe wrote:

    > I'm now curious about how long it takes for either of these programs
    > to make a full image of say, a drive with 30 gigs of stuff on it.

    Basically its the speed of the hard drive that determines
    that because its a very hard drive intensive operation but
    it also depends on the cpu horsepower with compression.

    > Say you're stroring that 30 gigs of stuff on an external drive- how much slower will it take to go
    > to the external drive compared to an internal second drive?

    Not that much, tho the difference is measurable.

    > Is the image compressed or exactly as on the original?

    You can specify what level of compression you want used.

  18. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    Keith Wilby wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Contumeliorus Florius wrote
    >>> On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 06:14:47 -0500, Joe wrote

    >>> Well, you don't need to install Acronis True Image on each
    >>> computer to use it on any computer. You install it to one
    >>> computer and then you use it to make a boot cdrom. You can use
    >>> that boot cdrom with any computer (not legally but it is a grey area

    >> Nope. They dont allow that, no grey area what so ever, legally.

    > I don't understand Acronis' licensing. They say you can use True Image on more than one PC
    > provided that you only have it installed on one at a time.

    Correct.

    > That's just daft

    Nope.

    > - why not just limit you to using one instance at a time?

    Because they clearly believe that their approach is better.

    And they are right, most obviously when you upgrade etc.

    Even MS has the same approach with all but the OEM verions of their stuff
    and MS's claim about what applys with OEM versions flouts the law in most
    first world countrys and even the MS EULA acknowledges that and says that
    that restriction with OEM versions doesnt apply when its contrary to law.

  19. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > Doesnt happen with the corp
    > versions, or the OEM versions that come preinstalled on hardware.

    Preinstalled versions from a major vendor don't come with XP disks, so the issue
    is moot - the best you can do is run their recovery disks. If you have no
    ability to do multiple installs, there's no incentive for MS to bar the way.

    Mike

  20. Re: installing True Image or Ghost on multiple home computers?

    Michael Daly wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Joe wrote

    >>> Uh.... I don't know why I thought the MS stuff would fail if you don't register- I thought I saw
    >>> once a warning that after a certain time, that XP and Office would stop working or work at a
    >>> reduced level.

    >> Doesnt happen with the corp versions, or the OEM versions that come preinstalled on hardware.

    > Preinstalled versions from a major vendor don't come with XP disks,

    Some do, some dont.

    > so the issue is moot - the best you can do is run their recovery disks.

    Not with the ones that come with an XP CD.

    > If you have no ability to do multiple installs, there's no incentive for MS to bar the way.

    Irrelevant to his pig ignorant claim.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast