Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage - Storage

This is a discussion on Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage - Storage ; I want to backup my data in a remote location. The total size of the data is about 500GB but the incremental data is comparably small. A commercial online backup service is one option but I much prefer a backup ...

  1. Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage

    I want to backup my data in a remote location. The total size of the
    data is about 500GB but the incremental data is comparably small. A
    commercial online backup service is one option but I much prefer a
    backup on a family's computer on a different continent. In any case,
    here are the requirements:

    1) Data must be strongly encrypted before sending it over the wire.
    2) When a connection breaks the backup process has to pick up where it
    stopped, i.e. without data corruption or having to resend the data.
    3) Incremental backup is a MUST.
    4) It must be possible to automatically backup data from different
    locations within an internal network.
    5) The solution should be inexpensive (<$200).

    Is there anything out there that can handle this? Any input is
    appreciated.

  2. Re: Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage

    wrote in message
    news:1188881992.382374.216310@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    >I want to backup my data in a remote location. The total size of the
    > data is about 500GB but the incremental data is comparably small. A
    > commercial online backup service is one option but I much prefer a
    > backup on a family's computer on a different continent. In any case,
    > here are the requirements:

    Backing up in a location off site from the machine being backed up is a
    sound principle. But isn't backing up to a different continent going just a
    bit too far? Where were you proposing to put you second backup*, the moon?

    Seriously though, with the price of hard disk drives these days being so
    cheap, why not backup to a pair of hard disk drives and just store them in
    another building when not actually being backed up to. If your that worried
    about security of the data, stick 'em in a fire safe. The more complicated
    you make your backup regime, the more likely you are to be disappointed when
    you come to restore it under circumstances that you can't make another.

    *A backup is not a backup unless it's backed up.

  3. Re: Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage

    On Sep 4, 1:59 am, "M.I.5" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1188881992.382374.216310@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > >I want to backup my data in a remote location. The total size of the
    > > data is about 500GB but the incremental data is comparably small. A
    > > commercial online backup service is one option but I much prefer a
    > > backup on a family's computer on a different continent. In any case,
    > > here are the requirements:

    > Backing up in a location off site from the machine being backed up is a
    > sound principle. But isn't backing up to a different continent going just a
    > bit too far? Where were you proposing to put you second backup*, the moon?
    >
    > Seriously though, with the price of hard disk drives these days being so
    > cheap, why not backup to a pair of hard disk drives and just store them in
    > another building when not actually being backed up to. If your that worried
    > about security of the data, stick 'em in a fire safe. The more complicated
    > you make your backup regime, the more likely you are to be disappointed when
    > you come to restore it under circumstances that you can't make another.
    >
    > *A backup is not a backup unless it's backed up.

    Hm, none of this is actually answering any of my questions. As for the
    location of the backup what does it matter if I store the backup at an
    online service next town or on a different continent? I have good
    reason for the location mentioned that go beyond security. As for
    storing it on another HD and leave that at work or a safe it's a major
    hassle. I want the backup process to be automated and not having to
    carry a HD around for doing backups.

    Any input on the original question?

  4. Re: Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage

    "hufaunder@yahoo.com" wrote in
    news:1188881992.382374.216310@d55g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com:

    > I want to backup my data in a remote location. The total size of
    > the data is about 500GB but the incremental data is comparably
    > small. A commercial online backup service is one option but I much
    > prefer a backup on a family's computer on a different continent.
    > In any case, here are the requirements:
    >
    > 1) Data must be strongly encrypted before sending it over the
    > wire. 2) When a connection breaks the backup process has to pick
    > up where it stopped, i.e. without data corruption or having to
    > resend the data. 3) Incremental backup is a MUST.
    > 4) It must be possible to automatically backup data from different
    > locations within an internal network.
    > 5) The solution should be inexpensive (<$200).
    >
    > Is there anything out there that can handle this? Any input is
    > appreciated.

    Assuming you connect to your remote server using a VPN connection, and
    can connect to the backup medium using Windows Networking (NetBT), then
    to handle the strong security/encryption part, try Freeware Truecrypt

    As for the Backup program, you might want to try the built-in Windows
    Backup program. I'm not sure how it fares with your requirements,
    though...
    Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup.

    It doesn't get much cheaper.

    -- John

  5. Re: Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage

    On Sep 4, 4:59 am, "M.I.5" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > If your that worried
    > about security of the data, stick 'em in a fire safe.

    Be careful about that. A typical document safe is designed to keep
    paper from burning, which happens at either 300 or 500 degrees
    (Celsius I think....memory isn't working right now). Either way, I
    don't believe a CD or HD would survive such temperatures.

  6. Re: Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage

    hufaunder@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I want to backup my data in a remote location. The total size of the
    > data is about 500GB but the incremental data is comparably small. A

    Your ISP may not appreciate you sending 500G a few times a month. Even
    unlimited accounts have limits.

    > 1) Data must be strongly encrypted before sending it over the wire.
    > 2) When a connection breaks the backup process has to pick up where it
    > stopped, i.e. without data corruption or having to resend the data.
    > 3) Incremental backup is a MUST.
    > 4) It must be possible to automatically backup data from different
    > locations within an internal network.
    > 5) The solution should be inexpensive (<$200).

    I'm using PGP 6.5.8 (freeware), and have had some success using it on
    a LAN. I wonder if it would work over the internet. It should be
    secure enough that you could use pretty much anything to do your
    transfer.

  7. Re: Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage

    wrote in message
    news:1189191620.346678.161180@19g2000hsx.googlegro ups.com...
    On Sep 4, 4:59 am, "M.I.5" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > If your that worried
    > about security of the data, stick 'em in a fire safe.

    Be careful about that. A typical document safe is designed to keep
    paper from burning, which happens at either 300 or 500 degrees
    (Celsius I think....memory isn't working right now). Either way, I
    don't believe a CD or HD would survive such temperatures.

    -----------------

    I was thinking more along the lines of physical security. Fire safes are
    gererally adequate to the task and generally available at quite reasonable
    prices.

  8. Re: Backup SW /w Encryption and Remote Storage

    Have you looked at rsync?

    It can transport over ssh encrypted channels and moves only the changed
    data. It's optimized for slow (as in WAN) links.

    hufaunder@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I want to backup my data in a remote location. The total size of the
    > data is about 500GB but the incremental data is comparably small. A
    > commercial online backup service is one option but I much prefer a
    > backup on a family's computer on a different continent. In any case,
    > here are the requirements:
    >
    > 1) Data must be strongly encrypted before sending it over the wire.
    > 2) When a connection breaks the backup process has to pick up where it
    > stopped, i.e. without data corruption or having to resend the data.
    > 3) Incremental backup is a MUST.
    > 4) It must be possible to automatically backup data from different
    > locations within an internal network.
    > 5) The solution should be inexpensive (<$200).
    >
    > Is there anything out there that can handle this? Any input is
    > appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread