Can copy tape on fly? - Storage

This is a discussion on Can copy tape on fly? - Storage ; If I have 2 tape drives. Can I copy all content from a tape, say A, to another, say B, on fly? Or I must restore all content on tape A to disk and archive them to tape B? Appreciated ...

  1. Can copy tape on fly?

    If I have 2 tape drives. Can I copy all content from a tape, say A, to
    another, say B, on fly? Or I must restore all content on tape A to
    disk and archive them to tape B? Appreciated for any reply.

  2. Re: Can copy tape on fly?

    "alex" wrote in message
    news:1179394845.197044.191610@l77g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...
    > If I have 2 tape drives. Can I copy all content from a tape, say A, to
    > another, say B, on fly? Or I must restore all content on tape A to
    > disk and archive them to tape B? Appreciated for any reply.

    As always, it depends. If you know which software wrote the original tape
    then things are much easier. If it's a Unix/Linux tape you may be able to do
    a block level copy of some sort, or use tar or cpio to copy the data. If you
    know it's from a certain backup software vendor then maybe you can get an
    eval copy of the software and duplicate the tape if it has a copy function.

    Last but not least is generic tape copier software. I have written such
    software in the past for specific tape drives and there's a couple of
    commercial software packages out there that can do that.

    Rob

  3. Re: Can copy tape on fly?

    On 5月17日, 下午6時30分, "Rob Turk" wrote:
    > "alex" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1179394845.197044.191610@l77g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > If I have 2 tape drives. Can I copy all content from a tape, say A, to
    > > another, say B, on fly? Or I must restore all content on tape A to
    > > disk and archive them to tape B? Appreciated for any reply.

    > As always, it depends. If you know which software wrote the original tape
    > then things are much easier. If it's a Unix/Linux tape you may be able todo
    > a block level copy of some sort, or use tar or cpio to copy the data. If you
    > know it's from a certain backup software vendor then maybe you can get an
    > eval copy of the software and duplicate the tape if it has a copy function.
    >
    > Last but not least is generic tape copier software. I have written such
    > software in the past for specific tape drives and there's a couple of
    > commercial software packages out there that can do that.
    >
    > Rob

    Thanks for reply. Follow your descriptions. The problem I ran into
    should be easy since the content of the original tape was archived via
    star utility. I had be been tried using pipe, like star -x ... | start
    -c ..., to achieve that. But it didn't work. star reported that it
    cannot handle such condition. So I really don't know how to do that
    this time. Can you give me some directions? The tape library I'm using
    is Sun StorEdge C4 and it is attached to a linux box running RHEL AS4.
    Thanks again.

  4. Re: Can copy tape on fly?

    On May 17, 11:28 pm, alex wrote:
    > On 517, 銝630, "Rob Turk" wrote:
    > > "alex" wrote in message
    > > > If I have 2 tape drives. Can I copy all content from a tape, say A, to
    > > > another, say B, on fly? Or I must restore all content on tape A to
    > > > disk and archive them to tape B? Appreciated for any reply.

    > > As always, it depends. If you know which software wrote the original tape
    > > then things are much easier. If it's a Unix/Linux tape you may be able to do
    > > a block level copy of some sort, or use tar or cpio to copy the data. If you
    > > know it's from a certain backup software vendor then maybe you can get an
    > > eval copy of the software and duplicate the tape if it has a copy function.

    > Thanks for reply. Follow your descriptions. The problem I ran into
    > should be easy since the content of the original tape was archived via
    > star utility. I had be been tried using pipe, like star -x ... | start
    > -c ..., to achieve that. But it didn't work.

    Did you try the block level copy, as Rob suggested? For disks on
    Linux, this generally works:

    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

    Of course, use the right nodes under /dev for your tape drives :^)

+ Reply to Thread