very large databases - Storage

This is a discussion on very large databases - Storage ; Hi... we are considering storing images in our database and the number of images can be quite large... So the other option is to store the images as files and point to them from the DB... To make this decision, ...

  1. very large databases

    Hi... we are considering storing images in our database and the number
    of images can be quite large...

    So the other option is to store the images as files and point to them
    from the DB...

    To make this decision, i'd like to know what the maximum sizes of
    databases are... Can Databses become more than a TB in size?

  2. Re: very large databases

    On Apr 28, 11:10 am, byaa...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi... we are considering storing images in our database and the number
    > of images can be quite large...
    > To make this decision, i'd like to know what the maximum sizes of
    > databases are... Can Databses become more than a TB in size?

    A websearch found this for Microsoft SQL Server 2005:

    Database size: 1,048,516 terabytes

    I would guess Oracle, DB2, and others would have followed suit, but
    this isn't one of my areas of expertise.

  3. Re: very large databases

    byaarov@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Hi... we are considering storing images in our database and the number
    > of images can be quite large...
    >
    > So the other option is to store the images as files and point to them
    > from the DB...

    I don't know, which option is more performant.

    > To make this decision, i'd like to know what the maximum sizes of
    > databases are... Can Databses become more than a TB in size?

    Of course they can, but that will also heavily depend on your underlying
    file system. You may have a look at wikipedia or other sources for a
    comparison.

    Concerning the postgres database system:

    Maximum Database Size Unlimited
    Maximum Table Size 32 TB
    Maximum Row Size 1.6 TB
    Maximum Field Size 1 GB
    Maximum Rows per Table Unlimited
    Maximum Columns per Table 250 - 1600 depending on column types
    Maximum Indexes per Table Unlimited

    [Source: [http://www.postgresql.org/about/ ]

  4. Re: very large databases

    On 28 Apr 2007 10:10:21 -0700, byaarov@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi... we are considering storing images in our database and the number
    >of images can be quite large...
    >
    >So the other option is to store the images as files and point to them
    >from the DB...
    >
    >To make this decision, i'd like to know what the maximum sizes of
    >databases are... Can Databses become more than a TB in size?

    Others have posted the fact that most commercial and/or
    production-ready open source db's are capable of growing without
    bound.

    However, managing that db and keeping it trim and fast is much more
    difficult.

    How will you purge data? How long will you keep images in the db?
    How long can you wait for a query to be satisfied?

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread