NetApp NDMP backup for iSCSI - Storage

This is a discussion on NetApp NDMP backup for iSCSI - Storage ; We have Veritas Netbackup server with NDMP support. Tape library is directly attached to the Netapp box and configuration has done at Netbackup server. NetApp box is serving NFS, CIFS, and iSCSI data.We want to take backup of these data ...

  1. NetApp NDMP backup for iSCSI

    We have Veritas Netbackup server with NDMP support. Tape library is
    directly attached to the Netapp box and configuration has done at
    Netbackup server. NetApp box is serving NFS, CIFS, and iSCSI data.We
    want to take backup of these data directly from Netapp to Tape.
    Its ok for NFS and CIFS but not sure, how to do for iSCSI luns.
    My queries are :
    1) Is there any way to take iSCSI raw backup through NDMP directly
    from NetApp
    2) NDMP backed up at file level. does NDMP support block level backup
    also ?

    - Raju

  2. Re: NetApp NDMP backup for iSCSI

    On 28 Apr 2007 03:46:07 -0700, Raju Mahala
    wrote:

    >We have Veritas Netbackup server with NDMP support. Tape library is
    >directly attached to the Netapp box and configuration has done at
    >Netbackup server. NetApp box is serving NFS, CIFS, and iSCSI data.We
    >want to take backup of these data directly from Netapp to Tape.
    >Its ok for NFS and CIFS but not sure, how to do for iSCSI luns.
    >My queries are :
    >1) Is there any way to take iSCSI raw backup through NDMP directly
    >from NetApp
    >2) NDMP backed up at file level. does NDMP support block level backup
    >also ?
    >
    >- Raju

    NDMP is a command protocol only, not a transport or backup protocol.
    Dump is what is used by NetApp to do backups like this and it does not
    support block level, file only.

    To do this automatically you need Snapdrive on a client to manage the
    snapshots for the LUN. WIth it, you can create consistent snapshots
    that can then be backed up via dump with NDMP. You can also do it
    manually if you can afford the downtime for each backup (you'd have to
    quiesce the LUN manually with either offline or halt the app using
    it).

    ~F

  3. Re: NetApp NDMP backup for iSCSI

    > NDMP is a command protocol only, not a transport or backup
    protocol.
    > Dump is what is used by NetApp to do backups like this and it does not
    > support block level, file only.
    >
    > To do this automatically you need Snapdrive on a client to manage the
    > snapshots for the LUN. WIth it, you can create consistent snapshots
    > that can then be backed up via dump with NDMP. You can also do it
    > manually if you can afford the downtime for each backup (you'd have to
    > quiesce the LUN manually with either offline or halt the app using
    > it).
    >
    > ~F

    great !!!!
    But my goal is that Netbackup server initiates backup through NDMP and
    data transfers happens directly from NetApp to Tape library which is
    directly attached to the Filer. So can you explain how it is achieved
    either by help of Snapdrive or without it. As I feel that at filer end
    LUN is a raw device so how data can flow from filer to tape. Is
    Snapdrive help in this ? if yes then please explain how ?

    Thanks
    -Raju

  4. Re: NetApp NDMP backup for iSCSI

    On 30 Apr 2007 09:14:10 -0700, Raju Mahala
    wrote:

    > > NDMP is a command protocol only, not a transport or backup

    >protocol.
    >> Dump is what is used by NetApp to do backups like this and it does not
    >> support block level, file only.
    >>
    >> To do this automatically you need Snapdrive on a client to manage the
    >> snapshots for the LUN. WIth it, you can create consistent snapshots
    >> that can then be backed up via dump with NDMP. You can also do it
    >> manually if you can afford the downtime for each backup (you'd have to
    >> quiesce the LUN manually with either offline or halt the app using
    >> it).
    >>
    >> ~F

    >great !!!!
    >But my goal is that Netbackup server initiates backup through NDMP and
    >data transfers happens directly from NetApp to Tape library which is
    >directly attached to the Filer. So can you explain how it is achieved
    >either by help of Snapdrive or without it. As I feel that at filer end
    >LUN is a raw device so how data can flow from filer to tape. Is
    >Snapdrive help in this ? if yes then please explain how ?
    >
    >Thanks
    >-Raju

    For detailed explanation you should really be talking to NetApp. They
    are, after all, the experts on their products.

    The LUN is simply a file to WAFL. So once you have a consistent
    snapshot of the LUN it is backed up as a single file to tape.

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread