thoughts on server / storage virtualization - Storage

This is a discussion on thoughts on server / storage virtualization - Storage ; Hey Everyone - I'm working on a presentation on virtualization in the enterprise for my team. I was wondering if any of you would mind offering some personal insight / experiences with either server or storage virtualization (or both). What ...

  1. thoughts on server / storage virtualization

    Hey Everyone -

    I'm working on a presentation on virtualization in the enterprise for
    my team. I was wondering if any of you would mind offering some
    personal insight / experiences with either server or storage
    virtualization (or both). What I'm really looking for are where and
    how server / storage virtualization is being used in the enterprise.
    What are some of the pros and cons about server / storage
    virtualization? Since implementing virtualization into your
    environment has been proving to provide what was promised?

    I really appreciate any and all input offered!

    Regards -
    Shawn Kelley

  2. Re: thoughts on server / storage virtualization

    On 25 Apr 2007 13:13:22 -0700, ShawnK wrote:

    >Hey Everyone -
    >
    >I'm working on a presentation on virtualization in the enterprise for
    >my team. I was wondering if any of you would mind offering some
    >personal insight / experiences with either server or storage
    >virtualization (or both). What I'm really looking for are where and
    >how server / storage virtualization is being used in the enterprise.
    >What are some of the pros and cons about server / storage
    >virtualization? Since implementing virtualization into your
    >environment has been proving to provide what was promised?
    >
    >I really appreciate any and all input offered!
    >
    >Regards -
    >Shawn Kelley

    Apparently no one here has done virtualization....=)

    For storage, I shy away from any virtualization that is done other
    than at the controller/head level. So, for instance, I am fine with
    Xiotech, 3Par, and Compellant doing their massive disk striping
    virtualization but any further up the chain and I get nervous.

    Examples of further up the chain are Rainstorage and Acopia. I like
    Acopia's approach and if/when I go down that road they may be the
    one's I pick but for now the technology is still to raw for my data.

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread