Migrating files from NetApp to Linux - Storage

This is a discussion on Migrating files from NetApp to Linux - Storage ; Hi, For various reasons I need to do this. Would like to use ndmpcopy, in fact I have it running on my Linux system. I have ndmpd turned on, on NetApp. Is there an open source ndmpd server available for ...

  1. Migrating files from NetApp to Linux

    Hi,
    For various reasons I need to do this. Would like to use ndmpcopy,
    in fact I have it running on my Linux system. I have ndmpd turned on,
    on NetApp.

    Is there an open source ndmpd server available for Linux?

    Thanks,
    Sandman

  2. Re: Migrating files from NetApp to Linux

    Why can't you mount the NFS file system on the Linux machine and do
    local copy?

    Hsing

    On Apr 21, 1:04 pm, Sandman wrote:
    > Hi,
    > For various reasons I need to do this. Would like to use ndmpcopy,
    > in fact I have it running on my Linux system. I have ndmpd turned on,
    > on NetApp.
    >
    > Is there an open source ndmpd server available for Linux?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sandman

  3. Re: Migrating files from NetApp to Linux

    On Apr 22, 11:47 pm, hsing wrote:
    > Why can't you mount the NFS file system on the Linux machine and do
    > local copy?
    >
    > Hsing
    >
    > On Apr 21, 1:04 pm, Sandman wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,
    > > For various reasons I need to do this. Would like to use ndmpcopy,
    > > in fact I have it running on my Linux system. I have ndmpd turned on,
    > > on NetApp.

    > > Is there an open source ndmpd server available for Linux?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Sandman- Hide quoted text -

    I hope you want ndmpcopy for level 1 and level 2 for incremental. So
    same can achieved by rsync on linux. So just mount netapp volume over
    NFS and migrate the data by rsync command.

    - Raju

  4. Re: Migrating files from NetApp to Linux

    The volume I wanted to migrate contained directories with lots and
    lots of files in them. Rsync really cannot help because it chokes up.
    Copying the files is out of the question as well because it takes so
    long.

    I ended up using plain old dump and restore, and it was amazingly
    fast:
    linuxclient# cd /volume_you_need_transfer_files_to
    linuxclient# rsh filer dump 0f - /vol/volname > level0_dmp
    linuxclient# restore rf level0_dmp

    I ran sysstat on the filer and there was a lot of data leaving the
    filer, but actually very little data coming in, so I'm assuming rsh
    wasn't creating additional traffic

    If my understanding of ndmpcopy is correct, this is exactly what it
    does anyway, but between filers. Since my destination was a non-filer
    I realized I didn't really need ndmpcopy after all.

    EL

    On Apr 23, 7:08 am, Raju Mahala wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 11:47 pm, hsing wrote:
    >

    > > Why can't you mount the NFS file system on the Linux machine and do
    > > local copy?

    > > Hsing

    > > On Apr 21, 1:04 pm, Sandman wrote:

    > > > Hi,
    > > > For various reasons I need to do this. Would like to use ndmpcopy,
    > > > in fact I have it running on my Linux system. I have ndmpd turned on,
    > > > on NetApp.

    > > > Is there an open source ndmpd server available for Linux?

    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Sandman- Hide quoted text -

    > I hope you want ndmpcopy for level 1 and level 2 for incremental. So
    > same can achieved by rsync on linux. So just mount netapp volume over
    > NFS and migrate the data by rsync command.
    >
    > - Raju

+ Reply to Thread