Asynchronous replication - Storage

This is a discussion on Asynchronous replication - Storage ; Hello, I am looking for an idea how to achieve asynchronous replication because company is getting paranoid about one production server that is very important for them (us). I will explain shortly what is the situation. The server(HP DL360 running ...

  1. Asynchronous replication

    Hello,

    I am looking for an idea how to achieve asynchronous replication
    because company is getting paranoid about one production server that
    is very important for them (us). I will explain shortly what is the
    situation.

    The server(HP DL360 running Windows 2003) is using storage volume on
    EMC CX3-20. Now they would like to see this volume somehow replicated
    just in case of disaster. Of course funds are very limited so I am
    considering only open source solutions or reasonable commercial ones.
    Also, I aim at asynchronous replication in order not to slow down
    production volume because we can't provide storage of same rank as EMC
    on remote location.

    I read a lot about possible solutions but I really need to hear
    someone who had experience with asynchronous replication and if it is
    possible to make some kind of configuration that will enable us to
    asynchronously replicate servers volume on EMC to some other storage
    (another server with its internal raid volume).

    Any ideas are welcome!

    Thanks!

    Sasha

  2. Re: Asynchronous replication

    On 20 Apr 2007 01:44:47 -0700, sasha.mirkovic@gmail.com wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am looking for an idea how to achieve asynchronous replication
    >because company is getting paranoid about one production server that
    >is very important for them (us). I will explain shortly what is the
    >situation.
    >
    >The server(HP DL360 running Windows 2003) is using storage volume on
    >EMC CX3-20. Now they would like to see this volume somehow replicated
    >just in case of disaster. Of course funds are very limited so I am
    >considering only open source solutions or reasonable commercial ones.
    >Also, I aim at asynchronous replication in order not to slow down
    >production volume because we can't provide storage of same rank as EMC
    >on remote location.
    >
    >I read a lot about possible solutions but I really need to hear
    >someone who had experience with asynchronous replication and if it is
    >possible to make some kind of configuration that will enable us to
    >asynchronously replicate servers volume on EMC to some other storage
    >(another server with its internal raid volume).
    >
    >Any ideas are welcome!
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Sasha

    Why not an rsync daemon? Or robocopy if this is windows?

    ~F

  3. Re: Asynchronous replication

    sasha.mirkovic@gmail.com wrote in news:1177058687.512953.217090
    @o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for an idea how to achieve asynchronous replication
    > because company is getting paranoid about one production server that
    > is very important for them (us). I will explain shortly what is the
    > situation.
    >
    > The server(HP DL360 running Windows 2003) is using storage volume on
    > EMC CX3-20. Now they would like to see this volume somehow replicated
    > just in case of disaster. Of course funds are very limited so I am
    > considering only open source solutions or reasonable commercial ones.
    > Also, I aim at asynchronous replication in order not to slow down
    > production volume because we can't provide storage of same rank as EMC
    > on remote location.
    >
    > I read a lot about possible solutions but I really need to hear
    > someone who had experience with asynchronous replication and if it is
    > possible to make some kind of configuration that will enable us to
    > asynchronously replicate servers volume on EMC to some other storage
    > (another server with its internal raid volume).
    >
    > Any ideas are welcome!

    Windows Server 2003 includes File Replication Services. In WK23 R2 it is
    replaced by DFS Replication.

    XCOPY, part of Windows might work.
    ROBOCOPY in Resource Kit, downloadable for free, can do it.
    SynchToy, downloadable for free from MS, might help too.

    A L B E R T A Alfred Falk falk@arc.ab.ca
    R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
    C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
    http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/

  4. Re: Asynchronous replication

    But what about block level asynchrounous replication, is there a win
    2K3 softwer for that?

+ Reply to Thread