bloody SATA connectors (electrical)! - Storage

This is a discussion on bloody SATA connectors (electrical)! - Storage ; bloody SATA connectors (electrical)! i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power what an aggrevation! are others seeing this? bill...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    i've come across connection issues
    with my (admittedly limited) use
    of SATA drives, both data and power,
    most recently power

    what an aggrevation!

    are others seeing this?

    bill

  2. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    willbill wrote:

    > bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    >
    > i've come across connection issues
    > with my (admittedly limited) use
    > of SATA drives, both data and power,
    > most recently power
    >
    > what an aggrevation!
    >
    > are others seeing this?

    No, since I use SCSI with SCA connectors these problems are nonexistent.
    You get what you pay for. SATA drives are basically toys equivalent to what
    comes out of a gumball machine.

    Rita

  3. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    : willbill wrote:
    :
    :: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    ::
    :: i've come across connection issues
    :: with my (admittedly limited) use
    :: of SATA drives, both data and power,
    :: most recently power
    ::
    :: what an aggrevation!
    ::
    :: are others seeing this?
    :
    : No, since I use SCSI with SCA connectors these problems are
    : nonexistent. You get what you pay for. SATA drives are
    : basically toys equivalent to what comes out of a gumball
    : machine.

    The usual pearls of wisdom from "Rita" the transexual. You are SUCH a
    ****ing lamer!

  4. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage willbill wrote:
    > bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    > i've come across connection issues
    > with my (admittedly limited) use
    > of SATA drives, both data and power,
    > most recently power

    > what an aggrevation!

    > are others seeing this?

    SATA connectors require precise manufacturing in order to
    work well. Many cheaper ones just have too high tolerances.
    Buy quality and you should be fine.

    Arno

  5. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    In article <13200j3ju6dhae0@news.supernews.com>,
    Rita Berkowitz wrote:

    >No, since I use SCSI with SCA connectors these problems are nonexistent.

    Why do you bother to post something so useless?

  6. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    It's a script that awakens periodically, triggered by ATA, IDE, an so on. Or
    self-appointed SCSI preacher without a life. "I'm a righteous one: I don't
    use no bloody ATA".

    wrote in message news:1176517050.318538@no.spam...
    > In article <13200j3ju6dhae0@news.supernews.com>,
    > Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    >
    >>No, since I use SCSI with SCA connectors these problems are nonexistent.

    > Why do you bother to post something so useless?

  7. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    On Apr 13, 12:22 pm, willbill wrote:
    > bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    >
    > i've come across connection issues
    > with my (admittedly limited) use
    > of SATA drives, both data and power,
    > most recently power
    >
    > what an aggrevation!
    >
    > are others seeing this?
    >
    > bill

    I use SATA drives - Have a lot of experience with them. I have seen
    some issues with them being fragile. It's critical that the cable be
    exactly straight coming out of the drive. I have seen quite a few
    broken cable ends where the side (edge) of the connector is broken.
    That weakens the connector so the top and bottom spread and the spring
    tension if the pins won't make adequate contact with the gold on the
    drive PCB. Have only seen one case where the cable was bad without any
    visual damage. I believe that case was a result of the cable being
    stressed at 90 degrees over too short a radius.

    Overall, I like SATA cables. They don't interfere with the airflow in
    the chassis (as do the PATA cables.

  8. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    willbill wrote:
    > bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    >
    > i've come across connection issues
    > with my (admittedly limited) use
    > of SATA drives, both data and power,
    > most recently power
    >
    > what an aggrevation!
    >
    > are others seeing this?

    Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
    the SATA connectors on the disk. I've given up, and when I build a PC I
    install a drive housing that occupies 3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot
    plug SATA bugs. Because of the way this is designed I've not had a
    single problem with power or drive connectors since doing this. The one
    I use is:

    http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

    --
    Nik Simpson

  9. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Nik Simpson wrote:
    > willbill wrote:
    >> bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    >>
    >> i've come across connection issues
    >> with my (admittedly limited) use
    >> of SATA drives, both data and power,
    >> most recently power
    >>
    >> what an aggrevation!
    >>
    >> are others seeing this?
    >>

    > Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
    > the SATA connectors on the disk. I've given up, and when I build a PC I
    > install a drive housing that occupies 3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot
    > plug SATA bugs. Because of the way this is designed I've not had a
    > single problem with power or drive connectors since doing this. The one
    > I use is:

    > http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

    Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
    these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
    errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
    enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
    vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
    me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.

    I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.

    Arno

  10. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Nik Simpson wrote:
    >> willbill wrote:
    >>> bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    >>>
    >>> i've come across connection issues
    >>> with my (admittedly limited) use
    >>> of SATA drives, both data and power,
    >>> most recently power
    >>>
    >>> what an aggrevation!
    >>>
    >>> are others seeing this?
    >>>

    >> Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
    >> the SATA connectors on the disk. I've given up, and when I build a PC I
    >> install a drive housing that occupies 3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot
    >> plug SATA bugs. Because of the way this is designed I've not had a
    >> single problem with power or drive connectors since doing this. The one
    >> I use is:

    >> http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

    > Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
    > these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
    > errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
    > enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
    > vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
    > me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.
    >
    > I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.
    >
    > Arno

    I've got one that's been going about a year now, the other is more
    recent. So far I've not had any problems with them. But there are other
    products out there, maybe there are some better ones.

    --
    Nik Simpson

  11. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    "willbill" wrote in message
    > bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    >
    > i've come across connection issues
    > with my (admittedly limited) use
    > of SATA drives, both data and power,
    > most recently power
    >
    > what an aggrevation!
    >
    > are others seeing this?
    >
    > bill

    A bit of Blu Tack around the connectors does wonders.

  12. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Nik Simpson wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
    >>> the SATA connectors on the disk. I've given up, and when I build a PC I
    >>> install a drive housing that occupies 3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot
    >>> plug SATA bugs. Because of the way this is designed I've not had a
    >>> single problem with power or drive connectors since doing this. The one
    >>> I use is:

    >>> http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

    >> Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
    >> these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
    >> errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
    >> enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
    >> vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
    >> me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.
    >>
    >> I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > I've got one that's been going about a year now, the other is more
    > recent. So far I've not had any problems with them. But there are other
    > products out there, maybe there are some better ones.

    Maybe the just fixed that production quality issue.

    Arno

  13. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    ellis@no.spam wrote:

    >> No, since I use SCSI with SCA connectors these problems are
    >> nonexistent.

    > Why do you bother to post something so useless?

    Useless? You don't hear me or anyone else bitching about SCA connections
    failing.

    Rita

  14. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> I've got one that's been going about a year now, the other is more
    >> recent. So far I've not had any problems with them. But there are
    >> other products out there, maybe there are some better ones.

    > Maybe the just fixed that production quality issue.

    I highly doubt it. Some Super Glue and two drywall screws help hold the
    drives in place with these substandard pieces of garbage.

    Rita

  15. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

    > Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
    > these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
    > errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
    > enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
    > vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
    > me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.
    >
    > I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.

    If you really must use SATA you ought to try Supermicro chasis and
    backplanes as they are the best on the market.

    www.supermicro.com

    Rita

  16. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

    > willbill wrote:
    >
    >> bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    >>
    >> i've come across connection issues
    >> with my (admittedly limited) use
    >> of SATA drives, both data and power,
    >> most recently power
    >>
    >> what an aggrevation!
    >>
    >> are others seeing this?

    > No, since I use SCSI with SCA connectors these problems are nonexistent.
    > You get what you pay for. SATA drives are basically toys equivalent to
    > what comes out of a gumball machine.

    I recently read a report from Google, and it basically comes down to, that
    SATA drives aren't necessarily worse than SCSI or FC drives. Here's
    the link:

    http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5038
    http://storagemojo.com/?p=383
    http://www.usenix.org/events/fast07/...tml/index.html
    http://216.239.37.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf

    --
    Alexander Skwar

  17. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    Rita Berkowitz wrote:

    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

    >> Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
    >> these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
    >> errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
    >> enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
    >> vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
    >> me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.
    >>
    >> I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.

    > If you really must use SATA you ought to try Supermicro chasis and
    > backplanes as they are the best on the market.
    >
    > www.supermicro.com

    Sadly, even these have problems occasionally. I have a few of the
    Supermicro 5 drive units and I had to send back one of them. We did
    have one SCA connector fail a few years ago too. As for SATA vs. SCSI,
    of course there are instances when SCSI is the only way to go (15K
    drives for instance) but more often than not it is too limiting to go
    with SCSI. We couldn't do a lot of what we do if we had to pay SCSI
    prices. SATA has proven to be very reliable (except for one array that
    used Maxtor drives... that was a nightmare but no data was lost and it
    had nothing to do with SATA, just Maxtor). With about 90 SATA drives in
    operation over the last year, we have had zero downtime due to the RAID
    arrays and only one array that needed to failover to a spare drive.
    With about 20 SCSI drives we had two drives that failed in the last
    year. To be fair, the SCSI drives are much older than the SATA drives.

  18. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    "willbill" wrote in message news:evomjo0oec@enews5.newsguy.com
    > bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    >
    > i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use
    > of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power
    >
    > what an aggrevation!
    >
    > are others seeing this?

    That's what you get if you buy drives intended for backplane use.
    Buy the ons intended for desktop cases, those with regular Molex power plug.

    > bill

  19. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    "Nik Simpson" wrote in message news:%c2Uh.10431$qB4.2860@bignews3.bellsouth.net
    > willbill wrote:
    > > bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!
    > >
    > > i've come across connection issues with my (admittedly limited) use
    > > of SATA drives, both data and power, most recently power.
    > >
    > > what an aggrevation!
    > >
    > > are others seeing this?
    > >

    > Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
    > the SATA connectors on the disk.

    How strange when below you just say they work utterly fine when used as intended.

    > I've given up, and when I build a PC I install a drive housing that occupies
    > 3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot plug SATA bugs. Because of the way
    > this is designed I've not had a single problem with power or drive connectors
    > since doing this.

    Gee, what a surprise: you are using them as intended.

    > The one I use is:
    >

    > http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

  20. Re: bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message news:58fh81F2h0qqoU1@mid.individual.net
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Nik Simpson wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
    > > > these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
    > > > errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
    > > > enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
    > > > vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
    > > > me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.
    > > >
    > > > I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.
    > > >
    > > > Arno

    > > I've got one that's been going about a year now, the other is more
    > > recent. So far I've not had any problems with them. But there are other
    > > products out there, maybe there are some better ones.

    > Maybe the just fixed that production quality issue.

    Or maybe it just never existed.

    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast