HP EVA 3000 Occupancy Alarm Level - Storage

This is a discussion on HP EVA 3000 Occupancy Alarm Level - Storage ; Greetings: We are running a HP EVA 3000 storage area network and in Command View EVA there is a user setting under Occupancy called Alarm Level. We have it set at 90%, but what is the purpose of this alarm? ...

  1. HP EVA 3000 Occupancy Alarm Level

    Greetings:

    We are running a HP EVA 3000 storage area network and in Command View EVA
    there is a user setting under Occupancy called Alarm Level. We have it set
    at 90%, but what is the purpose of this alarm? Is there a performance
    consideration when the occupancy level exceeds a certain threshold, or is
    this just a "its getting time to buy more disks" thing? Thanks...

    Jim McCullars
    University of Alabama in Huntsville

  2. Re: HP EVA 3000 Occupancy Alarm Level

    On 21 Mar, 22:21, Jim McCullars wrote:
    > Greetings:
    >
    > We are running a HP EVA 3000 storage area network and in Command View EVA
    > there is a user setting under Occupancy called Alarm Level. We have it set
    > at 90%, but what is the purpose of this alarm? Is there a performance
    > consideration when the occupancy level exceeds a certain threshold, or is
    > this just a "its getting time to buy more disks" thing? Thanks...
    >
    > Jim McCullars
    > University of Alabama in Huntsville

    Both. For continued optimal performance, the EVA needs a bit of room
    to be able to do reallocation and leveling as it redistributes blocks
    around the spindles in a disk group.

    Also, if you've grown above 90% occupancy, it would indeed be an
    indication you're running out of space.

+ Reply to Thread