Reading DLT7000 tapes on SDLT drive? - Storage

This is a discussion on Reading DLT7000 tapes on SDLT drive? - Storage ; I've seen product literature that claims SDLT drives are read- compatible with tapes written by the 35/70gb DLT7000. My SDLT 160/320 drive won't even load the tapes. (software not an issue here) Has anyone had any luck doing this? If ...

  1. Reading DLT7000 tapes on SDLT drive?

    I've seen product literature that claims SDLT drives are read-
    compatible with tapes written by the 35/70gb DLT7000.

    My SDLT 160/320 drive won't even load the tapes. (software not an
    issue here)

    Has anyone had any luck doing this? If so, is there a trick? Maybe
    only the SDLT 110/220 can do it? (But brochures for both 22 and 320
    say the same thing about compatibility with DLT 4000, 7000, 8000 and
    DLT1.

    Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

    Chris

  2. Re: Reading DLT7000 tapes on SDLT drive?

    Chris wrote:

    >I've seen product literature that claims SDLT drives are read-
    >compatible with tapes written by the 35/70gb DLT7000.
    >
    >My SDLT 160/320 drive won't even load the tapes. (software not an
    >issue here)
    >
    >Has anyone had any luck doing this? If so, is there a trick? Maybe
    >only the SDLT 110/220 can do it? (But brochures for both 22 and 320
    >say the same thing about compatibility with DLT 4000, 7000, 8000 and
    >DLT1.
    >
    >Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

    I'm not sure how much clarification I can give you other than to say
    I've been able to load and read DLT IV tapes in ym SDLT 220 drive
    without a problem. The DLT IV tape was written with a DLT 7000 drive.

    When you say that it won't even load does it just spit it out
    immediatly? Or can does it not even fit? If the latter then are you
    sure it is a DLT tape? Phyiscally they should look almost identical
    (except for the color). I see the SDLT 1 tape has a small fin on it that
    the DLT IV doesn't have but other then that mine are the same.

    Good luck,

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread