Zone Creation - Advice - Storage

This is a discussion on Zone Creation - Advice - Storage ; Hi I am looking at implementing Zoning in my IBM Fast Storage SAN First question is, are there any implications in simply creating the zones and applying the zone config but with no HBAs or Storage Controllers added? Will this ...

  1. Zone Creation - Advice

    Hi
    I am looking at implementing Zoning in my IBM Fast Storage SAN
    First question is, are there any implications in simply creating the
    zones and applying the zone config but with no HBAs or Storage
    Controllers added? Will this affect the current config?
    I am looking at using the Single HBA Zoning method where I will create
    a Zone for each server and add the HBA of the server to this Zone. I
    assume I will have to add each of the SAN Volume Controllers (x2) to
    each of these Zones, as the DS4300 has 2 Volume Controllers and both
    connect to 2 switches, making 4 connections from the SAN (IBM DS4300)
    to the 2 Fibre Switches, which are not trunked!
    Is this the correct way to do it? So say the SAN is on ports 14 & 15
    and the server is on port 1 for example the Zone would contain Port 1,
    14 & 15, and this is replicated for each server that connects to the
    Fibre Switch? Next Zone would have 2, 14 & 15 and so on
    Also as each server has 2 HBA's and there are 2 Fibre switches, will I
    need to create the Zones on each switch? I assume this is the case!
    I am going to use the Port method because if an HBA ever fails Zoning
    will not need to be changed, I think from an Admin point of view this
    is the easier way to do it. We are only talking about 8 devices on
    each switch!

    Any suggestions and comments welcome

    Cheers

    Scott

  2. Re: Zone Creation - Advice

    Scooty wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am looking at implementing Zoning in my IBM Fast Storage SAN
    > First question is, are there any implications in simply creating the
    > zones and applying the zone config but with no HBAs or Storage
    > Controllers added? Will this affect the current config?
    > I am looking at using the Single HBA Zoning method where I will create
    > a Zone for each server and add the HBA of the server to this Zone. I
    > assume I will have to add each of the SAN Volume Controllers (x2) to
    > each of these Zones, as the DS4300 has 2 Volume Controllers and both
    > connect to 2 switches, making 4 connections from the SAN (IBM DS4300)
    > to the 2 Fibre Switches, which are not trunked!
    > Is this the correct way to do it? So say the SAN is on ports 14 & 15
    > and the server is on port 1 for example the Zone would contain Port 1,
    > 14 & 15, and this is replicated for each server that connects to the
    > Fibre Switch? Next Zone would have 2, 14 & 15 and so on

    The best practice suggested to us by StorageTek/Sun is to have a zone for
    each combination of host port and controller. I am told that this is due to
    the controllers not being happy seeing the other controller.

    So if you have a single HBA with a single port and two volume controllers,
    you will need to have two zones: (HBA,VC1) and (HBA,VC2). Each host that is
    connected would have two zones configured for it. If the host is dual
    attached, then you would need 4 zones.

    Jeffrey Bird

+ Reply to Thread