Physically moving array from one MSA1500 to another. - Storage

This is a discussion on Physically moving array from one MSA1500 to another. - Storage ; Hi Folks: I have to go to Japan and work on a server configuration. Both servers have MSA1500 array controllers. OS is Windows 2003 Server. The company has been evaluating one of our base server configurations for months and ended ...

  1. Physically moving array from one MSA1500 to another.

    Hi Folks:

    I have to go to Japan and work on a server configuration. Both
    servers have MSA1500 array
    controllers. OS is Windows 2003 Server. The company has been
    evaluating one of our base
    server configurations for months and ended up buying it. Now they
    want to upgrade this base
    server to a a midrange server. Just means more array space and an
    aditional tape drive in the
    tape library and they've also bought the big brother, one of our high
    end systems.

    I've been told that they're not interested in any of the evalvation
    data they've collected during the
    beta test. This would be ideal, but I think it's famous last words.
    I suspect they may want to move
    the data from one system to the other. It could be up to a
    terabyte. And while we could do a
    tape backup and restore, this will take some time. It's millions of
    tiny files. My question is this?
    Is it really possible to move arrays from one system's MSA1500 to
    another systems's MSA1500
    by moring whole drive shelves or individual drives and have the
    existing array recognized? Is this
    part of what HP means by "Adaptive Enterprise"? Everything just plugs
    into everything else and
    works. Or is "Adaptive Enterprise" just a grand marketing slogan?

    I should have time to test this on a small scale tomorrow, before my
    Thursday flight. Just figured
    I'd ask here to find out about others' experiences.

    Thanks,

    Dennis Herrick
    dennis_herrick@hotmail.com

  2. Re: Physically moving array from one MSA1500 to another.

    On 13 Mar, 17:10, dherr...@ade.com wrote:
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > I've been told that they're not interested in any of the evalvation
    > data they've collected during the
    > beta test. This would be ideal, but I think it's famous last words.
    > I suspect they may want to move
    > the data from one system to the other. It could be up to a
    > terabyte. And while we could do a
    > tape backup and restore, this will take some time. It's millions of
    > tiny files. My question is this?
    > Is it really possible to move arrays from one system's MSA1500 to
    > another systems's MSA1500
    > by moring whole drive shelves or individual drives and have the
    > existing array recognized?

    The MSA1500 does not have copy functions between arrays.

    Is this
    Or is "Adaptive Enterprise" just a grand marketing slogan?

    Yes.

    > I should have time to test this on a small scale tomorrow, before my
    > Thursday flight. Just figured
    > I'd ask here to find out about others' experiences.

    You could attempt to shut down the original array, physically moving
    the disks in the configuration (doesn't have to be all disks, just
    those who take part of the LUN(s) you want to move. Plug the disks
    into the same locations in the target array and if everything works,
    the new MSA1500 should recognize the LUNs and you're ok. This could
    very well be supported actually, this is what HP calles DtS (DAS to
    SAN migration). The idea is to move storage behind internal server's
    smart array controllers to the MSA1500 (since the MSA1500 is a Smart
    array 5200 series controller).

    Risky, so of course take a backup.

    Another option is to use Symantec Storage Foundation to mirror the
    original volume(s) to newly created empty volumes on the target array.

  3. Re: Physically moving array from one MSA1500 to another.

    yes. you can move the hard drives from one MSA to another and the LUNs will
    appear on the new MSA. This is do to Compaq's DTS technology (DAS to SAN).
    The metadata stored on the drives makes this possible.

    The Moojit.

    wrote in message
    news:1173802207.273333.135260@j27g2000cwj.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > I have to go to Japan and work on a server configuration. Both
    > servers have MSA1500 array
    > controllers. OS is Windows 2003 Server. The company has been
    > evaluating one of our base
    > server configurations for months and ended up buying it. Now they
    > want to upgrade this base
    > server to a a midrange server. Just means more array space and an
    > aditional tape drive in the
    > tape library and they've also bought the big brother, one of our high
    > end systems.
    >
    > I've been told that they're not interested in any of the evalvation
    > data they've collected during the
    > beta test. This would be ideal, but I think it's famous last words.
    > I suspect they may want to move
    > the data from one system to the other. It could be up to a
    > terabyte. And while we could do a
    > tape backup and restore, this will take some time. It's millions of
    > tiny files. My question is this?
    > Is it really possible to move arrays from one system's MSA1500 to
    > another systems's MSA1500
    > by moring whole drive shelves or individual drives and have the
    > existing array recognized? Is this
    > part of what HP means by "Adaptive Enterprise"? Everything just plugs
    > into everything else and
    > works. Or is "Adaptive Enterprise" just a grand marketing slogan?
    >
    > I should have time to test this on a small scale tomorrow, before my
    > Thursday flight. Just figured
    > I'd ask here to find out about others' experiences.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dennis Herrick
    > dennis_herrick@hotmail.com

+ Reply to Thread