ML370 RAID drive replacement help!! - Storage

This is a discussion on ML370 RAID drive replacement help!! - Storage ; Hi, We have a ML370 that has a 5 disk RAID 5 array.. One of the disks has the red light flashing and the event log says the status is "predictive failure".. I have just ordered a new drive which ...

  1. ML370 RAID drive replacement help!!

    Hi,

    We have a ML370 that has a 5 disk RAID 5 array.. One of the disks has
    the red light flashing and the event log says the status is "predictive
    failure".. I have just ordered a new drive which should be here in the
    next day or so..

    Now for the question..

    What is the procedure for replacing the drive?

    The new one is exactly the same as the old one..

    Can I simply pull the old one and insert the new one or should I
    shutdown the server and swap the drives when the server is off?
    Will it automatically rebuild or do I have to tell it there is a new drive?

    Really can't afford for this server to go down so would rather not "try"
    my luck..

    Any help greatfully appreciated..

  2. Re: ML370 RAID drive replacement help!!

    WipeOut wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a ML370 that has a 5 disk RAID 5 array.. One of the disks has
    > the red light flashing and the event log says the status is "predictive
    > failure".. I have just ordered a new drive which should be here in the
    > next day or so..
    >
    > Now for the question..
    >
    > What is the procedure for replacing the drive?
    >
    > The new one is exactly the same as the old one..
    >
    > Can I simply pull the old one and insert the new one or should I
    > shutdown the server and swap the drives when the server is off?
    > Will it automatically rebuild or do I have to tell it there is a new drive?
    >
    > Really can't afford for this server to go down so would rather not "try"
    > my luck..

    When we've had disk failures on our Compaq/HP Proliants we've simply
    removed the faulty drive and put the replacement drive in - job done.

    YMMV and make sure your backups are good...

    Guy
    Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd
    gnues@crossflight.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread