Everything you know about disks is wrong - Storage

This is a discussion on Everything you know about disks is wrong - Storage ; Interesting article: http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5038 If you're not already familiar with it, StorageMojo.com is also worth a visit. - bill...

  1. Everything you know about disks is wrong

    Interesting article: http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5038

    If you're not already familiar with it, StorageMojo.com is also worth a
    visit.

    - bill

  2. Re: Everything you know about disks is wrong

    Bill Todd wrote:
    > Interesting article: http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5038
    >
    > If you're not already familiar with it, StorageMojo.com is also worth a
    > visit.
    >
    > - bill

    And you can find the original Google research paper that start this at

    http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

    --
    Nik Simpson

  3. Re: Everything you know about disks is wrong

    Nik Simpson wrote:
    > Bill Todd wrote:
    >> Interesting article: http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5038
    >>
    >> If you're not already familiar with it, StorageMojo.com is also worth
    >> a visit.
    >>
    >> - bill

    > And you can find the original Google research paper that start this at
    >
    > http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

    Yes - there's a link in the reference I gave, and to the CMU paper as well.

    - bill

  4. Re: Everything you know about disks is wrong

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 04:16:02 -0500, Bill Todd
    wrote:

    >Interesting article: http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5038
    >
    >If you're not already familiar with it, StorageMojo.com is also worth a
    >visit.
    >
    >- bill

    The google paper was very much a testament to ego rather than any
    outside world valid data. Several of the main points were recanted or
    severely modified under Q&A after the presentation.

    However, the paper by Schroeder was well done and stood up under
    scrutiny.

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread