SAN devices & OS compatibility - Storage

This is a discussion on SAN devices & OS compatibility - Storage ; Hello. I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible. It seems that all of ...

  1. SAN devices & OS compatibility

    Hello.

    I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
    storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
    Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.

    It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
    system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
    HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
    representing unformatted disk space?

    I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
    Netware.

    Thanks.

    Steve Adams

  2. Re: SAN devices & OS compatibility

    On 28 Feb 2007 16:46:20 -0800, "Steve Adams"
    wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
    >storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
    >Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.
    >
    >It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
    >system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
    >HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
    >representing unformatted disk space?
    >
    >I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
    >Netware.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Steve Adams

    I can;t recall what the official term for it is but I believe it has
    to do with low level SCSI reservations for things like failover.

    For arrays like STK, you have to specify what type of OS you are using
    on specific ports. For the HDS they do port virtualization so you can
    run any OS on any port and still get those low level functions.

    If the array has not been tested with Netware it may still work but if
    you try and use the cool clustering feature I bet it will barf.

    ~F

  3. Re: SAN devices & OS compatibility

    So the HBA and the driver are approved for the OS and by the storage
    vendor?

    On Feb 28, 7:46 pm, "Steve Adams" wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
    > storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
    > Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.
    >
    > It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
    > system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
    > HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
    > representing unformatted disk space?
    >
    > I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
    > Netware.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steve Adams

  4. Re: SAN devices & OS compatibility

    On Mar 1, 5:16 am, "Gunhaver05" wrote:
    > So the HBA and the driver are approved for the OS and by the storage
    > vendor?

    The HBA is approved. It's a QLogic board. The Netware driver for the
    HBA is also from QLogic, though I don't think it's certified by Sun.
    Sun hasn't certified Netware, so I don't imagine they certify the HBA
    driver for that OS.

    > On Feb 28, 7:46 pm, "Steve Adams" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello.

    > > I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
    > > storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
    > > Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.

    > > It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
    > > system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
    > > HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
    > > representing unformatted disk space?

    > > I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
    > > Netware.

    > > Thanks.

    > > Steve Adams

  5. Re: SAN devices & OS compatibility

    Hello!

    Steve Adams wrote:
    > On Mar 1, 5:16 am, "Gunhaver05" wrote:
    >> So the HBA and the driver are approved for the OS and by the storage
    >> vendor?

    > The HBA is approved. It's a QLogic board. The Netware driver for the
    > HBA is also from QLogic, though I don't think it's certified by Sun.
    > Sun hasn't certified Netware, so I don't imagine they certify the HBA
    > driver for that OS.

    You may also need multipath SW and (sometimes) management agent. You can
    do it without them, but management si much easier and multipathing can
    be a big issue (I don't know how Netware handles it).

    On the other hand, if they say "it is not supported" it does not
    directly says "it is not working".

    Best regards,

    Iggy

  6. Re: SAN devices & OS compatibility

    Steve Adams wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
    > storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
    > Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.

    Has anyone said it won't work or just that they don't know that it
    will work?

    > It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
    > system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
    > HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
    > representing unformatted disk space?
    >
    > I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
    > Netware.

    It more likely needs to be certified if you want it to be supported.

    It may well work fine but that does not mean Sun know enough about
    Netware to be able to offer you support.

    Guy
    -- --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd
    gnues@crossflight.co.uk

  7. Re: SAN devices & OS compatibility

    Steve Adams wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm wondering if someone could explain to me why a particular SAN
    > storage solution, like say a Sun Storedge 6920, wouldn't work with a
    > Novell file server, assuming that all the hardware is compatible.

    Depends what you call compatible.

    Fibrechannel SAN storage has at least two distinct layers. The first one
    is the fibrechannel network layer itself, the second one is the SCSI
    layer on top of that.

    Even if you have the latest drivers and the latest firmware for your HBA
    in your system, that doesn't mean it is compatible with just any kind of
    SAN storage. You may try it, and the storage may seem to work correctly.
    However you can't tell if it will work correctly in any given situation.
    For instance when you look at all the different settings that are
    possible on a EMC DMX in order to make it compatible for the different
    types of O.S., then that may give you a clue that things are not so simple.

    In fact many system manufacturers have their own firmware for standard
    SCSI drives. One and the same Seagate SCSI drive will have different
    firmware when used in a SUN Solaris environment or when it is used in a
    HP environment. Depending on the manufacturer there may be regular
    firmware updates for these drives. So if even a normal SCSI drives isn't
    "standard" enough to be used in any system, then you will understand
    that SAN storage isn't "standard" enough either.

    These certifications are by no means just a paper thing. Some storage
    manufacturers (HDS for instance) are very strict on the precise driver
    that is used in conjunction with their storage. Your driver is a couple
    of versions too new? No support!

    > It seems that all of the SAN stuff should be hidden from the operating
    > system. As long as my hardware lines up, and I have a driver for my
    > HBA, isn't the 6920 just offering to the operating system a LUN
    > representing unformatted disk space?
    >
    > I don't get why the 6920 would have to 'certified' to work with
    > Netware.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steve Adams

+ Reply to Thread