Exabyte VXA-2 (IDE) under 32-bit Windows Vista? - Storage

This is a discussion on Exabyte VXA-2 (IDE) under 32-bit Windows Vista? - Storage ; Hi, Does anyone here use an Exabyte VXA-2, IDE, under 32-bit Vista? Exabyte site does not list any driver support for Vista, and the XP 32- bit driver does not install at all. I am considering such a drive for ...

  1. Exabyte VXA-2 (IDE) under 32-bit Windows Vista?

    Hi,

    Does anyone here use an Exabyte VXA-2, IDE, under 32-bit Vista?
    Exabyte site does not list any driver support for Vista, and the XP 32-
    bit driver does not install at all. I am considering such a drive for
    purchase, but I am not sure whether it will work, at all.

    If you did get it to work, is it perhaps recognized by Vista Business
    System Backup as a tape drive? If not, can you recommend a decent
    alternative?

    Thanks,

    Gary

  2. Re: Exabyte VXA-2 (IDE) under 32-bit Windows Vista?

    Gary wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone here use an Exabyte VXA-2, IDE, under 32-bit Vista?
    > Exabyte site does not list any driver support for Vista, and the XP 32-
    > bit driver does not install at all. I am considering such a drive for
    > purchase, but I am not sure whether it will work, at all.

    Have you tried setting compatibility mode before trying to install the
    driver. I've found very few XP drivers that didn't work in Vista unless
    for things that had changed dramatically (i.e. sound & video)

    --
    Nik Simpson

  3. Re: Exabyte VXA-2 (IDE) under 32-bit Windows Vista?

    Nik,

    > Have you tried setting compatibility mode before trying to install the
    > driver. I've found very few XP drivers that didn't work in Vista unless
    > for things that had changed dramatically (i.e. sound & video)

    Thanks for the reply. 32-bit XP driver archive from Exabyte's site
    does not include an executable installer, only a .sys/.inf pair.
    Neither "Have Disk" nor right-click "Install" works under 32-bit
    Vista .

    Gary

  4. Re: Exabyte VXA-2 (IDE) under 32-bit Windows Vista?

    1) Attach the hardware
    2) Wait till it will appear with yellow ? in the Device Manager
    3) In the Device Manager, right-click on yellow ?, select Update Driver
    4) Say Specify A Location, and point to the directory with INF and SYS

    A usual way to install hardware drivers in Windows (since w2k), if the
    package contains only INF and SYS.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "Gary" wrote in message
    news:1172614990.262373.188690@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > Nik,
    >
    > > Have you tried setting compatibility mode before trying to install the
    > > driver. I've found very few XP drivers that didn't work in Vista unless
    > > for things that had changed dramatically (i.e. sound & video)

    > Thanks for the reply. 32-bit XP driver archive from Exabyte's site
    > does not include an executable installer, only a .sys/.inf pair.
    > Neither "Have Disk" nor right-click "Install" works under 32-bit
    > Vista .
    >
    > Gary

  5. Re: Exabyte VXA-2 (IDE) under 32-bit Windows Vista?

    "Gary" wrote in message
    news:1172597807.314700.318590@s48g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone here use an Exabyte VXA-2, IDE, under 32-bit Vista?
    > Exabyte site does not list any driver support for Vista, and the XP 32-
    > bit driver does not install at all. I am considering such a drive for
    > purchase, but I am not sure whether it will work, at all.

    You need to find Vista-compatible backup software that supports the VXA-2
    drive. During the Vista beta I have been able to load Exabyte's Win2k or XP
    driver in Vista and used my diagnostics utilities without too much trouble,
    but the built-in backup utility in Vista has no support for tape devices
    8-(((

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread