NAS server with fixed and removable drives - Storage

This is a discussion on NAS server with fixed and removable drives - Storage ; Hi, my company is looking for a NAS server that could function as a fixed storage/backup server and also have the ability to replicate within to removable drives that can be swapped once every two weeks for offsite storage. So ...

  1. NAS server with fixed and removable drives

    Hi,
    my company is looking for a NAS server that could function as a fixed
    storage/backup server and also have the ability to replicate within to
    removable drives that can be swapped once every two weeks for offsite
    storage. So far we have only found one company that makes the perfect
    fit, but the price is outrages (for SATA server at least). They are
    called IdealStor (http://www.idealstor.com/frankeNAS.html).

    Would anyone know if there are any simple, cost effective solutions
    that would combine the fix storage with removable drives ? Split SATA
    arrays or something like that?

    I am not a full time sysadmin, just filling in the role in my company,
    so my experience with storage servers is limited and any suggestion
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Our desired specs:
    SATA
    2TB fixed storage
    500GB for removable storage (only drive images/backups would be
    transfered)
    Low power CPU since this will be just a storage server

    thank you.

  2. Re: NAS server with fixed and removable drives

    In article <1172504777.851209.282160@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups. com>,
    jteisinger@gmail.com says...

    >Hi,
    >my company is looking for a NAS server that could function as a fixed
    >storage/backup server and also have the ability to replicate within to
    >removable drives that can be swapped once every two weeks for offsite
    >storage. So far we have only found one company that makes the perfect
    >fit, but the price is outrages (for SATA server at least). They are
    >called IdealStor (http://www.idealstor.com/frankeNAS.html).
    >
    >Would anyone know if there are any simple, cost effective solutions
    >that would combine the fix storage with removable drives ? Split SATA
    >arrays or something like that?
    >
    >I am not a full time sysadmin, just filling in the role in my company,
    >so my experience with storage servers is limited and any suggestion
    >would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Our desired specs:
    >SATA
    >2TB fixed storage
    >500GB for removable storage (only drive images/backups would be
    >transfered)
    >Low power CPU since this will be just a storage server
    >
    >thank you.

    if you think that the price is "outrageous" then you should probably go find
    something in your price range and then buy one of the 3 or 4 "DOM" products
    available in the marketplace. These "Disk on Module" addons can turn your PC /
    server into an iSCSI or NAS (or both) solution. There are 3 or 4 different
    manufacturers. Your system will boot from them and the different brands come
    w/ different features like snapshot, replication, etc.
    _____ . .
    ' \\ . . |>>
    O// . . |
    \_\ . . |
    | | . . . |
    / | . www.EvenEnterprises.com . . . |
    / .| info@EvenEnterprises.com . . . |
    / . | 310-544-9439 / 310-544-9309 fax . . . o
    Authorized - DIRECT VAR/VAD/Distributor for new mid-high end storage
    iSCSI/NAS/SAN/RAID from EMC, HP, Equallogic, Quantum, OverLand Storage

  3. Re: NAS server with fixed and removable drives

    We can custom configure a cost-effective server that will work in your
    environment under our Timberline Storage brand of SAN product.
    Just contact us through the google interface and we'll get a rep in
    touch with you.

    www.onelifedigital.com

  4. Re: NAS server with fixed and removable drives

    In article <1173108423.638684.26760@64g2000cwx.googlegroups.co m>,
    cadams.global@gmail.com says...

    >We can custom configure a cost-effective server that will work in your
    >environment under our Timberline Storage brand of SAN product.
    >Just contact us through the google interface and we'll get a rep in
    >touch with you.

    we can all do that for him but we're not supposed to "sell" in this group
    If he needs to buy something from scratch to "serve files" it's a lot
    cheaper & less administrative to but a cheap NAS box

    _____ . .
    O// . . |
    \_\ . . |
    / | . www.EvenEnterprises.com . . . |
    / .| info@EvenEnterprises.com . . . |
    / . | 310-544-9439 / 310-544-9309 fax . . . o
    Authorized - DIRECT VAR/VAD/Distributor for new mid-high end storage
    iSCSI/NAS/SAN/RAID from EMC, HP, Equallogic, Quantum, OverLand Storage

+ Reply to Thread