ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer - Storage

This is a discussion on ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer - Storage ; Hi, How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)? Will this cause Kazeon to ...

  1. ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

    Hi,
    How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate
    storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try
    to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)?

    Will this cause Kazeon to restore the files from alternate storage
    back onto the primary disks?

    Bargav

  2. Re: ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

    byaarov@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate
    > storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try
    > to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)?
    >
    > Will this cause Kazeon to restore the files from alternate storage
    > back onto the primary disks?

    They do any automatic migration back from the location when a file is
    accessed, so it's a moot point.

    --
    Nik Simpson

  3. Re: ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

    Nik Simpson wrote:
    > byaarov@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate
    >> storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try
    >> to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)?
    >>
    >> Will this cause Kazeon to restore the files from alternate storage
    >> back onto the primary disks?
    >>

    > They do any automatic migration back from the location when a file is
    > accessed, so it's a moot point.

    Of course, that should have read " they *DON'T* do any migration back
    from a location"

    --
    Nik Simpson

  4. Re: ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

    On 16 Feb 2007 11:40:09 -0800, byaarov@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate
    >storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try
    >to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)?
    >
    >Will this cause Kazeon to restore the files from alternate storage
    >back onto the primary disks?
    >
    >Bargav

    Lookup operations are not the same as access operations. Only access
    ops cause an un-migration.

    Also, there are no ILM "products". ILM is a process, if you don't
    have that then you don't have ILM. You just have HSM.

    ~F

  5. Re: ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

    On Feb 17, 1:13 pm, Faeandar wrote:
    > On 16 Feb 2007 11:40:09 -0800, byaa...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate
    > >storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try
    > >to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)?

    > >Will this cause Kazeon to restore the files from alternate storage
    > >back onto the primary disks?

    > >Bargav

    > Lookup operations are not the same as access operations. Only access
    > ops cause an un-migration.
    >
    > Also, there are no ILM "products". ILM is a process, if you don't
    > have that then you don't have ILM. You just have HSM.
    >
    > ~F

    I think the OP is worried about exactly that. As far as I understand,
    when Windows Explorer looks into a directory, it will often open and
    read (ie. access) the files within so as to create thumbnails,
    previews and the like. The question is, in spirit, similar to one I
    posed a few weeks ago regarding full-text searches. I think what we're
    all wondering is, given these application behaviors, how can migration
    products really be both "automatic" and still provide the intended
    benefit.

    Thanks,
    Ron

  6. Re: ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

    On 18 Feb 2007 12:28:09 -0800, "ron.lindman@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    >On Feb 17, 1:13 pm, Faeandar wrote:
    >> On 16 Feb 2007 11:40:09 -0800, byaa...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >How do ILM products like kazeon that migrate files to alternate
    >> >storage deal with Windows Explorer that do directory listings and try
    >> >to open each and every file to read the data (for thumbnails)?

    >> >Will this cause Kazeon to restore the files from alternate storage
    >> >back onto the primary disks?

    >> >Bargav

    >> Lookup operations are not the same as access operations. Only access
    >> ops cause an un-migration.
    >>
    >> Also, there are no ILM "products". ILM is a process, if you don't
    >> have that then you don't have ILM. You just have HSM.
    >>
    >> ~F

    >I think the OP is worried about exactly that. As far as I understand,
    >when Windows Explorer looks into a directory, it will often open and
    >read (ie. access) the files within so as to create thumbnails,
    >previews and the like. The question is, in spirit, similar to one I
    >posed a few weeks ago regarding full-text searches. I think what we're
    >all wondering is, given these application behaviors, how can migration
    >products really be both "automatic" and still provide the intended
    >benefit.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ron

    Ouch. I can't speak to Windows behavior but that would be truly an
    unhappy thing. I know these products have to take into account
    possible scenarios like this so maybe it's only on write access or
    open write access? I can't say.

    I would be curious to know if someone finds out.

    ~F

  7. Re: ILM products (Kazeon) and Windows Explorer

    On Feb 18, 4:28 pm, Faeandar wrote:
    > On 18 Feb 2007 12:28:09 -0800, "ron.lind...@gmail.com"
    >

    > wrote:

    > >> Lookup operations are not the same as access operations. Only access
    > >> ops cause an un-migration.

    > >> Also, there are no ILM "products". ILM is a process, if you don't
    > >> have that then you don't have ILM. You just have HSM.

    > >> ~F

    > >I think the OP is worried about exactly that. As far as I understand,
    > >when Windows Explorer looks into a directory, it will often open and
    > >read (ie. access) the files within so as to create thumbnails,
    > >previews and the like. The question is, in spirit, similar to one I
    > >posed a few weeks ago regarding full-text searches. I think what we're
    > >all wondering is, given these application behaviors, how can migration
    > >products really be both "automatic" and still provide the intended
    > >benefit.

    > >Thanks,
    > >Ron

    > Ouch. I can't speak to Windows behavior but that would be truly an
    > unhappy thing. I know these products have to take into account
    > possible scenarios like this so maybe it's only on write access or
    > open write access? I can't say.
    >
    > I would be curious to know if someone finds out.
    >
    > ~F

    Just got a response back from a neopath sales guy. They say their
    product is the only one that handles this and prevents files from
    being moved back onto primary just due to windows explorer directory
    listings, but he didnt know how.

+ Reply to Thread