Question about saving logfile and configfile - Storage

This is a discussion on Question about saving logfile and configfile - Storage ; Hello, We have a switch-environment. A few MDS-9509-switches, a lot MDS-9140. We want to save and transfer the start/up config and logfiles automatically. I read in the manual about the command scheduler and ftp and so on. However, in the ...

  1. Question about saving logfile and configfile

    Hello,

    We have a switch-environment. A few MDS-9509-switches, a lot MDS-9140.
    We want to save and transfer the start/up config and logfiles
    automatically. I read in the manual about the command scheduler and ftp
    and so on.

    However, in the company it is not allowed to use FTP or TFTP, but we
    can use SCP or SFTP. To set up SCP or SFTP on the switches to
    automatically transfer the files looks difficult, to SCP the files to a
    central computer.

    Now Im wondering how other companies has automated this process.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,

    Hans

  2. Re: Question about saving logfile and configfile

    Hans wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We have a switch-environment. A few MDS-9509-switches, a lot MDS-9140.
    > We want to save and transfer the start/up config and logfiles
    > automatically. I read in the manual about the command scheduler and ftp
    > and so on.
    >
    > However, in the company it is not allowed to use FTP or TFTP, but we
    > can use SCP or SFTP. To set up SCP or SFTP on the switches to
    > automatically transfer the files looks difficult, to SCP the files to a
    > central computer.
    >
    > Now Im wondering how other companies has automated this process.

    We go the other way around and initiate the copy from the server where
    we want the backups stored. We put an system-operator level ID on each
    MDS switch with a public SSH key. Then on a host with the appropriate
    private key, a script runs every night that basically does something like:

    ssh operatorid@switch.name "show running-config" > switch.name.config

    You could run a number of commands this way, or run a script on the
    switches themselves (run-script bootflash:blagh.script). It works
    pretty well for us.

+ Reply to Thread