iSCSI to SATA - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI to SATA - Storage ; Hi, Can I access SATA disks via iSCSI? The intutive answer seems no, since iSCSI is using scsi pdus. But then again I see vendors selling enclosures full with SATA drives but accessible via iscsi. So is there a conversion ...

  1. iSCSI to SATA

    Hi,

    Can I access SATA disks via iSCSI? The intutive answer seems no, since
    iSCSI is using scsi pdus.
    But then again I see vendors selling enclosures full with SATA drives
    but accessible via iscsi. So is there a conversion of scsi to sata in
    the controller.

    Thanks for any help

  2. Re: iSCSI to SATA

    sumandra majee wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can I access SATA disks via iSCSI? The intutive answer seems no, since
    > iSCSI is using scsi pdus.
    > But then again I see vendors selling enclosures full with SATA drives
    > but accessible via iscsi. So is there a conversion of scsi to sata in
    > the controller.

    You answered your own question. Of course you can access SATA disk via
    iSCSI. But, you're confusing the various levels in a storage system.
    The type of disk is independent of the protocol used to talk to the
    disk. There are all kinds of hardware products out there that
    act as gateways. In a typical box that uses SATA disk drives
    but attaches to a host via iSCSI there is intelligence in the box
    that handles the SCSI to ATA translation. This is no big deal.
    Companies like Promise have been doing it for years.

    Jon Forrest

+ Reply to Thread