iSCSI to SATA - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI to SATA - Storage ; Hi, Can I access SATA disks via iSCSI? The intutive answer seems no, since iSCSI is using scsi pdus. But then again I see vendors selling enclosures full with SATA drives but accessible via iscsi. So is there a conversion ...

  1. iSCSI to SATA

    Hi,

    Can I access SATA disks via iSCSI? The intutive answer seems no, since
    iSCSI is using scsi pdus.
    But then again I see vendors selling enclosures full with SATA drives
    but accessible via iscsi. So is there a conversion of scsi to sata in
    the controller.

    Thanks for any help

  2. Re: iSCSI to SATA

    > Can I access SATA disks via iSCSI? The intutive answer seems no, since
    > iSCSI is using scsi pdus.

    Depends on vendor.

    For instance, on-mobo RAID chips are exposed to Windows as... SCSI controllers.
    Yes, the driver converts the SCSI CDBs to the hardware commands and submit them
    to the chip.

    More so. In NT4, the usual PC IDE controller was represented as SCSI to the OS.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

+ Reply to Thread