Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes? - Storage

This is a discussion on Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes? - Storage ; I have an older Windows NT box that for several reasons needs to remain at Windows NT for a while. I need to find a way to image the boot device on this machine quickly, probably from a DOS or ...

  1. Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes?

    I have an older Windows NT box that for several reasons needs to remain at
    Windows NT for a while. I need to find a way to image the boot device on
    this machine quickly, probably from a DOS or Linux preboot environment, but
    I would prefer to find a Windows based utility.

  2. Re: Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes?

    "Will" wrote in message
    news:zdudnWjOEIJYvoXYnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >I have an older Windows NT box that for several reasons needs to remain at
    > Windows NT for a while. I need to find a way to image the boot device on
    > this machine quickly, probably from a DOS or Linux preboot environment,
    > but
    > I would prefer to find a Windows based utility.

    Thanks for sharing this.

    --
    Joep

  3. Re: Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes?

    Will wrote:
    > I have an older Windows NT box that for several reasons needs to remain at
    > Windows NT for a while. I need to find a way to image the boot device on
    > this machine quickly, probably from a DOS or Linux preboot environment, but
    > I would prefer to find a Windows based utility.

    You probably won't do much better in terms of performance than
    conventional partition-management utilities like Partition Magic or
    imaging-specific ones like Norton Ghost (though Ghost itself has not
    been receiving very good reviews lately), since most of the time (unless
    your partition - or at least the portion of it occupied by data - is
    quite small) will be spent sequentially scanning the data on the disk.

    The tools available at www.sysresccd.org and perhaps
    www.ultimatebootcd.com seem to be reasonably well-thought-of if you're
    looking for something free; for free Windows-based solutions, Googling
    up "free partition manager" may help you get started (the Ranish
    partition manager has been around for a while, but I know nothing else
    about it).

    - bill

  4. Re: Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes?

    "Bill Todd" wrote in message
    news:dJCdnfhtk7Df1oTYnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
    > Will wrote:
    > > I have an older Windows NT box that for several reasons needs to remain

    at
    > > Windows NT for a while. I need to find a way to image the boot device

    on
    > > this machine quickly, probably from a DOS or Linux preboot environment,

    but
    > > I would prefer to find a Windows based utility.

    > You probably won't do much better in terms of performance than
    > conventional partition-management utilities like Partition Magic or
    > imaging-specific ones like Norton Ghost (though Ghost itself has not
    > been receiving very good reviews lately), since most of the time (unless
    > your partition - or at least the portion of it occupied by data - is
    > quite small) will be spent sequentially scanning the data on the disk.
    >
    > The tools available at www.sysresccd.org and perhaps
    > www.ultimatebootcd.com seem to be reasonably well-thought-of if you're
    > looking for something free; for free Windows-based solutions, Googling
    > up "free partition manager" may help you get started (the Ranish
    > partition manager has been around for a while, but I know nothing else
    > about it).

    We tried ServerMagic (server version of PartitionMagic) and the performance
    is awful. It took six hours to mirror an 8GB drive from a 9GB SCSI 15K
    source drive to a 15K destination drive.

    The main bottleneck in ServerMagic was that it was not asynchronous on read
    and write. It would first read the drive and stop writing to the target,
    then stop reading and write to the target. That has to more than double
    the time it takes to do the job?

    --
    Will

  5. Re: Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes?

    Will wrote:

    > We tried ServerMagic (server version of PartitionMagic) and the performance
    > is awful. It took six hours to mirror an 8GB drive from a 9GB SCSI 15K
    > source drive to a 15K destination drive.
    >
    > The main bottleneck in ServerMagic was that it was not asynchronous on read
    > and write. It would first read the drive and stop writing to the target,
    > then stop reading and write to the target. That has to more than double
    > the time it takes to do the job?

    I'm guessing that you may have had some hardware problem that, e.g.,
    caused a great many SCSI errors and retries. My only personal
    experience with Partition Magic is with versions 6 and 8, both of which
    will copy a full 8 GB partition between ATA disks in about 15 minutes
    (an average speed of a little under 10 MB/sec, which is consistent with
    the synchronous reading/writing that you describe - even a bit slow,
    actually). However, I usually don't copy the partition that I'm booted
    from, so it doesn't drop back into DOS mode to do so: I have
    occasionally done that (though not since it aborted due to a PM V6
    internal stack problem, with disastrous consequences for my system) and
    do recall it taking somewhat longer, but nothing like hours.

    - bill

  6. Re: Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes?

    Bill Todd wrote:
    > Will wrote:

    >> We tried ServerMagic (server version of PartitionMagic) and the
    >> performance
    >> is awful. It took six hours to mirror an 8GB drive from a 9GB SCSI 15K
    >> source drive to a 15K destination drive.
    >>
    >> The main bottleneck in ServerMagic was that it was not asynchronous on
    >> read
    >> and write. It would first read the drive and stop writing to the
    >> target,
    >> then stop reading and write to the target. That has to more than
    >> double
    >> the time it takes to do the job?

    > I'm guessing that you may have had some hardware problem that, e.g.,
    > caused a great many SCSI errors and retries. My only personal
    > experience with Partition Magic is with versions 6 and 8, both of which
    > will copy a full 8 GB partition between ATA disks in about 15 minutes
    > (an average speed of a little under 10 MB/sec, which is consistent with
    > the synchronous reading/writing that you describe - even a bit slow,
    > actually). However, I usually don't copy the partition that I'm booted
    > from, so it doesn't drop back into DOS mode to do so: I have
    > occasionally done that (though not since it aborted due to a PM V6
    > internal stack problem, with disastrous consequences for my system) and
    > do recall it taking somewhat longer, but nothing like hours.

    I should add that I usually used a Win98 SE system in the above cases -
    though I have run PM booted from a Win2K partition a couple of times and
    am pretty sure that its performance was similar. It is of course
    remotely possible that its performance under NT is significantly different.

    - bill

  7. Re: Extremely Fast Imaging of NTFS Volumes?

    > imaging-specific ones like Norton Ghost (though Ghost itself has not
    > been receiving very good reviews lately)

    www.storagecraft.com (yes, the shameless ad :-) )

    Look for "ShadowProtect".

    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation