which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go in for ?? pls help? - Storage

This is a discussion on which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go in for ?? pls help? - Storage ; hi im planning to buy 160 GB, 7200 rpm external hdd which connects to my laptop. i have three choices first is Segate,second is Hitachi and third is Western Digital. which one u think if of good quality and which ...

  1. which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go in for ?? pls help?

    hi

    im planning to buy 160 GB, 7200 rpm external hdd which connects to my
    laptop. i have three choices first is Segate,second is Hitachi and
    third is Western Digital. which one u think if of good quality and
    which one can you suggest me to buy ?

    but found some reviews like this one

    "I bought this 160GB external hard drive an amazon in Dec, 2003 (based
    on the good reviews it received back then) and it lasted exactly for
    two years! A day before Christmas 2005 the drive would out of the blue
    issue loud clicking sounds in the middle of the night and by the next
    morning (when I discovered it), all of its partitions had become
    inaccessible and the drive had died. With the warranty only lasting one
    year (kind of tells you how much a company stands behind their
    products) I'm basically left with an expensive lemon. With so many
    reviewers on here now experiencing similar things in terms of
    reliability with Seagate's products I am really wondering if this
    industry should have more federal oversight that better protects
    consumers from such failures."

    hitachi gets hots as the drive is connected and works for long time and
    heard that it bursts. and western digital also suffers the same
    problem....

    please help me as to what to go in for seems that all are not working
    when used for long time... is there not external storage... which is
    quality ??

    thanks

  2. Re: which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go infor ?? pls help?

    ravi wrote:

    > please help me as to what to go in for seems that all are not working
    > when used for long time... is there not external storage... which is
    > quality ??

    Sounds more like you're worried about the drive than about 'external
    storage' per se. Drives aren't perfect but manufacturers who sold lots
    of bad ones would go out of business, so your chances aren't bad.

    Over the past dozen years I've had one Seagate drive (2.1 GB) and one WD
    drive (80 GB) start to fail on me, both sufficiently gradually that no
    data got lost. Hitachi (formerly IBM) drives had some specific problems
    a few years back that presumably got corrected long ago.

    I like Seagate ATA/SATA drives because they run cool and have a 5-year
    warranty. You also used to be able to get some great deals on them at
    outpost.com if you were willing to wait for a special (I haven't checked
    recently). Add $20 - $30 for a USB 2.0 case or connection and you've
    got external storage at well under $0.50/GB.

    - bill

  3. Re: which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go in for ?? pls help?

    Bill Todd writes:
    > I like Seagate ATA/SATA drives because they run cool and have a 5-year
    > warranty. You also used to be able to get some great deals on them at
    > outpost.com if you were willing to wait for a special (I haven't
    > checked recently). Add $20 - $30 for a USB 2.0 case or connection and
    > you've got external storage at well under $0.50/GB.

    It seems to me that the cheap usb cases don't have cooling fans. That
    worries me. I have a Seagate 160gb ATA drive in a slightly more
    expensive USB case that does have a fan, and the drive and case still
    get pretty warm when the drive is highly active. I'm not sure what
    alternatives to look for. I haven't worried too much since I use the
    external drive basically as a backup device, so it's powered down most
    of the time.

  4. Re: which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go infor ?? pls help?

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Bill Todd writes:
    >> I like Seagate ATA/SATA drives because they run cool and have a 5-year
    >> warranty. You also used to be able to get some great deals on them at
    >> outpost.com if you were willing to wait for a special (I haven't
    >> checked recently). Add $20 - $30 for a USB 2.0 case or connection and
    >> you've got external storage at well under $0.50/GB.

    > It seems to me that the cheap usb cases don't have cooling fans.

    The two that I bought near the top of that price range do. The bottom
    of the range (at least for 3.5" drives) represents caseless power
    brick/connectors: perhaps a bit exposed for continuous or even frequent
    use (though it does make swapping drives a breeze), but the lack of a
    cooling fan there is unlikely to be a problem.

    I have wondered how much variation there might be in driver quality,
    though - e.g., whether some (less expensive) products might skimp on
    things like parity-checking transfers, or whether all the hardware and
    software comes from the same one or two manufacturers and thus doesn't
    vary in quality at all (save for ancillary elements like fans and power
    bricks).

    - bill

  5. Re: which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go in for ?? pls help?

    Bill Todd writes:
    > I have wondered how much variation there might be in driver quality,
    > though - e.g., whether some (less expensive) products might skimp on
    > things like parity-checking transfers, or whether all the hardware and
    > software comes from the same one or two manufacturers and thus doesn't
    > vary in quality at all (save for ancillary elements like fans and
    > power bricks).

    The ones I've used don't involve any software. There's just a chip in
    the enclosure that presents the USB mass storage interface.
    Everything after that is done by the host computer. I'd like to hope
    that stuff like parity checking is done by the chip, but I still
    verify all my backups.

  6. Re: which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go in for ?? pls help?

    > I like Seagate ATA/SATA drives because they run cool and have a 5-year
    > warranty. You also used to be able to get some great deals on them at
    > outpost.com if you were willing to wait for a special (I haven't checked
    > recently). Add $20 - $30 for a USB 2.0 case or connection and you've
    > got external storage at well under $0.50/GB.

    Be real careful when dealing with outpost.com. I recently learned (the
    hard way) that some of their hard drives (seagate, that normally
    carries a 5 year warranty) is only given a 30 day warranty. Nowhere in
    the outpost.com website does it mention that. My seagate 400gb drive
    took a dump after 5 months and there is no recourse from either outpost
    or seagate.

    So, make sure that the "great deal" from outpost.com isn't a jar of
    vaseline in disguise.

    Outpost.com sucks.

  7. Re: which external hdd of this three would u suggest me to go infor ?? pls help?

    gb wrote:
    >> I like Seagate ATA/SATA drives because they run cool and have a 5-year
    >> warranty. You also used to be able to get some great deals on them at
    >> outpost.com if you were willing to wait for a special (I haven't checked
    >> recently). Add $20 - $30 for a USB 2.0 case or connection and you've
    >> got external storage at well under $0.50/GB.
    >>

    > Be real careful when dealing with outpost.com. I recently learned (the
    > hard way) that some of their hard drives (seagate, that normally
    > carries a 5 year warranty) is only given a 30 day warranty. Nowhere in
    > the outpost.com website does it mention that. My seagate 400gb drive
    > took a dump after 5 months and there is no recourse from either outpost
    > or seagate.

    That really sounds like a 'refurbished' drive: I don't think Seagate
    sells *any* new drives with less than a 90-day manufacturer's warranty
    (and my impression is that that's only to OEMs who trade less coverage
    for a better deal, not to retail distributors). A quick check of some
    of Outpost's current Seagate offerings reveals explicit mention of their
    5-year warranties.

    IIRC Seagate lets you check on line to see the warranty expiration date
    of any drive you bought - and the ones I got from Outpost reflected the
    full 5-year warranty coverage.

    - bill

+ Reply to Thread