Thecus N5200 RAID setup problems - Storage

This is a discussion on Thecus N5200 RAID setup problems - Storage ; I just bought a Thecus N5200 and filled it with 5 x 750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives. I'm having trouble setting up a RAID 5 array with the following configuration: Stripe Size: 64KB Data Percentage: 100% Target USB Percentage: 0% ...

  1. Thecus N5200 RAID setup problems

    I just bought a Thecus N5200 and filled it with 5 x 750GB Seagate
    Barracuda 7200.10 drives.

    I'm having trouble setting up a RAID 5 array with the following
    configuration:
    Stripe Size: 64KB
    Data Percentage: 100%
    Target USB Percentage: 0%

    I followed the instructions in the manual to configure the RAID 5,
    waited about 12 hours for the RAID to build, after which the RAID
    status showed "Healthy".

    But the DOM LED (the top one) was still glowing orange, and when I
    tried to add a folder it said that the RAID was being initialized and
    adding a folder wasn't allowed. I thought it might just need to be
    rebooted, but when I did that the RAID status was "N/A"!!

    I tried the RAID setup again and this time let it stay in "Healthy"
    status for over 24 hours, but still it said the RAID was being
    initialized when I tried to add a folder. Then I tried shutting the
    system down and powering off before restarting. Same effect - RAID

    I checked their support website and googled around and found out they
    supposedly fixed this problem with firmware version 1.00.01.3 (which is
    what it had out of the box). I tried downloading and applying the
    firmware upgrade again just in case, but still get the same result.

    I'm trying again to build the RAID, this time with the default Data/USB
    percentages of 95%/5%, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

    Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to solve it?

  2. Re: Thecus N5200 RAID setup problems

    Using 95%/5% seems to work. So I guess the N5200 needs to have some
    space allocated to USB for some reason (?!).

    This wasn't at all clear from the screen or documentation. And I really
    don't understand why that's necessary anyway. Why is it not possible to
    use the maximum amount of space possible all for data?

  3. Re: Thecus N5200 RAID setup problems

    Thecus technical support responded (on a Saturday - not bad!) with a
    new firmware upgrade (1.00.03) which they say allows you to allocate
    100% to data and 0% to snapshot and USB.

    I'm rebuilding now to find out. The only difference I've noticed so far
    is that the time remaining is not 11 hours, it's 10 days!!! Hopefully
    that's just the calculation bias at the beginning of the process :-/

  4. Re: Thecus N5200 RAID setup problems

    It worked.

+ Reply to Thread