Backup devices - Storage

This is a discussion on Backup devices - Storage ; I have recently been hired by my employer and have been tasked with creating a backup strategy. We have a server that currently has less than 80 Gigs of drive space on it, and less than half of that is ...

  1. Backup devices

    I have recently been hired by my employer and have been tasked with
    creating a backup strategy. We have a server that currently has less
    than 80 Gigs of drive space on it, and less than half of that is
    "used." To that end, I've been reviewing possible backup devices and
    saw something new (to me, at least) is available. It's called a REV
    Drive. I'm wondering if anyone on this list can tell me something about

    it? Is this just an updated form of the ZIP and JAZ drives, or is this
    something new? From what I can see, it appears to be an updated version

    of the proprietary JAZ and ZiP drives. Can someone comment on the
    reliability of the device?

    Can someone on the list suggest something, external and preferably
    non-SCSI, which would accomodate our backup needs and be able to grow
    with the organization? We currently only have the one Windows 2003 SBS
    Server, and only about 70 Gigs of total drive space, but I anticipate
    that at least the drive space will grow in the future.

    I'm looking for something that can be taken off-site, so removable
    media is a requirement, otherwise I'd just invest in an NAS box.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Backup devices

    >I have recently been hired by my employer and have been tasked with
    > creating a backup strategy. We have a server that currently has less
    > than 80 Gigs of drive space on it, and less than half of that is
    > "used." To that end, I've been reviewing possible backup devices and
    > saw something new (to me, at least) is available. It's called a REV
    > Drive. I'm wondering if anyone on this list can tell me something about

    Use a USB external hard drive. Many of them. Get at least 2X
    the size (you can get 500 GB USB drives at www.newegg.com
    for about $200).

    Use robocopy from MS to copy the contents of the drive.

    Lynn

  3. Re: Backup devices

    Lynn McGuire wrote:
    > >I have recently been hired by my employer and have been tasked with
    > > creating a backup strategy. We have a server that currently has less
    > > than 80 Gigs of drive space on it, and less than half of that is
    > > "used." To that end, I've been reviewing possible backup devices and
    > > saw something new (to me, at least) is available. It's called a REV
    > > Drive. I'm wondering if anyone on this list can tell me something about

    > Use a USB external hard drive. Many of them. Get at least 2X
    > the size (you can get 500 GB USB drives at www.newegg.com
    > for about $200).
    >
    > Use robocopy from MS to copy the contents of the drive.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm somewhat leaning towards an off-site
    internet-based backup service. Then again, I don't know if the bosses
    are going to be willing to pay for something like that. *shrug* Thanks
    again for your opinion. I have to admit I'm not thrilled with the idea
    of USB drives, but it may be the way to go, probably using MS Backup
    since we have Exchange to back up as well.

+ Reply to Thread