Brocade 2800 serial connect - Storage

This is a discussion on Brocade 2800 serial connect - Storage ; Hello all, trying to revive a Brocade 2800 SAN switch. Admin password is unknown and irretrievable. Read in the Brocade message boards that internal serial port can be used to reset admin pw. Fine so far - dismantle the unit ...

  1. Brocade 2800 serial connect

    Hello all,

    trying to revive a Brocade 2800 SAN switch. Admin password is unknown
    and irretrievable.
    Read in the Brocade message boards that internal serial port can be
    used to reset admin pw.
    Fine so far - dismantle the unit hook up cable to serial port and check
    via Hyperterminal and 9600,8,N,1
    All is fine until it comes to sending data. I cannot stop the Vxworks
    boot process - keyboard input is not routed to the switch.
    The (partial handshake) serial (Nullmodem) cable performs flawless
    elsewhere so I assume that there might be something fishy with the
    Brocadeīs serial port. I have croschecked this with a 2nd and 3rd
    switch and it remains all the same. I cannot send any keyboard data to
    the switch as if either Tx-Rx ainīt working or some weird handshaking
    is required.
    As I said further above: the cable is not the culprit as it is working
    elsewhere.
    Iīd not be overly surprised to learn that Brocade altered the pinout
    of the internal serial port or fiddled with the voltages - anyone here
    who has knowledge about "that piggytail cable" which Brocade is using
    for this purpose?
    Thanks and regards
    Reinhard

  2. Re: Brocade 2800 serial connect

    Brocade uses a null modem cable also called a cross over.

    9600,8,N,1 is correct, if your seeing TEXT instead of garbage then your
    settings are correct. I also don't think it's a cable issue.

    "reinhard" wrote in message
    news:1156698858.872745.48270@h48g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
[...]

  3. Re: Brocade 2800 serial connect

    How did you take apart the switch? Which screws did you remove to get
    to the internal serial port?

    Are you using a brocade cable, or a std null modem cable?

    "std" null modem cables vary and may not work on a brocade switch. i.e
    CTS may not be forced high.

    Here are brocade pinouts from a 3800 manual.

    The port requires a straight (extension) serial cable with a female
    9-pin subminiature-D connector. Only pins 2, 3, and 5 are supported; if
    pin 7 is used, the signal must always be driven high, usingthe pinouts
    listed in Table A-6.

    Table A-6 Cabling Pinouts if Pin 7 is Used
    PIN Signal Description
    1 -- --
    2 TxData Transmit Data
    3 RxData Receive Data
    4 -- --
    5 GND Logic Ground
    6 -- --
    7 CTS Clear to Send
    8 -- --
    9 -- --

    I would try the following in order of preference:

    - a brocade serial cable
    - a 3 wire null modem cable
    - a 5 wire cable with 2,3 crossed, 5-5, connect CTS to (RTS (7-8) or
    DTR(7-4)) *

    * Note, the brocade manual says CTS is on pin 7. The RS-232 docs I find
    indicate it is on pin 8. In this case, to connect CTS-DTR, cross 7-8

    http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/c...tech_rs232.htm

    Tom
    SA wrote:
    > Brocade uses a null modem cable also called a cross over.
    >
    > 9600,8,N,1 is correct, if your seeing TEXT instead of garbage then your
    > settings are correct. I also don't think it's a cable issue.
    >

    > "reinhard" wrote in message
    > news:1156698858.872745.48270@h48g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > trying to revive a Brocade 2800 SAN switch. Admin password is unknown
    > and irretrievable.
    > Read in the Brocade message boards that internal serial port can be
    > used to reset admin pw.
    > Fine so far - dismantle the unit hook up cable to serial port and check
    > via Hyperterminal and 9600,8,N,1
    > All is fine until it comes to sending data. I cannot stop the Vxworks
    > boot process - keyboard input is not routed to the switch.
    > The (partial handshake) serial (Nullmodem) cable performs flawless
    > elsewhere so I assume that there might be something fishy with the
    > Brocadeīs serial port. I have croschecked this with a 2nd and 3rd
    > switch and it remains all the same. I cannot send any keyboard data to
    > the switch as if either Tx-Rx ainīt working or some weird handshaking
    > is required.
    > As I said further above: the cable is not the culprit as it is working
    > elsewhere.
    > Iīd not be overly surprised to learn that Brocade altered the pinout
    > of the internal serial port or fiddled with the voltages - anyone here
    > who has knowledge about "that piggytail cable" which Brocade is using
    > for this purpose?
    > Thanks and regards
    > Reinhard

  4. Re: Brocade 2800 serial connect

    Reinhard,

    I just removed front bezels, power supplies and fan assembly. I have
    not figured out how to get to the sheet metal apart so I can not fully
    get to motherboard yet. But I have a pretty good view of the inside
    from the rear where the fans were.

    I can not see a serial connector anywhere on a 2800. What are you
    connecting to?

    Tom

    tfunke wrote:
> [...]
    > > via Hyperterminal and 9600,8,N,1
    > > All is fine until it comes to sending data. I cannot stop the Vxworks
    > > boot process - keyboard input is not routed to the switch.
    > > The (partial handshake) serial (Nullmodem) cable performs flawless
    > > elsewhere so I assume that there might be something fishy with the
    > > Brocadeīs serial port. I have croschecked this with a 2nd and 3rd
    > > switch and it remains all the same. I cannot send any keyboard data to
    > > the switch as if either Tx-Rx ainīt working or some weird handshaking
    > > is required.
    > > As I said further above: the cable is not the culprit as it is working
    > > elsewhere.
    > > Iīd not be overly surprised to learn that Brocade altered the pinout
    > > of the internal serial port or fiddled with the voltages - anyone here
    > > who has knowledge about "that piggytail cable" which Brocade is using

  5. Re: Brocade 2800 serial connect

    Ok, I pulled the 2800 motherboard out and found the 2x5 serial
    connector.

    Given it's not an internal db9 connector but rather a 2x5, I would try
    using a 3 wire tx/rx/gnd cable if that is not what you are already
    doing.

    If you have success, please let me know.

    Good luck!

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread