Re: How do you backup a small network of computers? - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: How do you backup a small network of computers? - Storage ; > But it didn't work for me. Some logical drive letters seemed to back up > fine, others didn't. So I have a portion of the files backed up, > but the hard drive won't boot - Linux Red Hat ...

  1. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    > But it didn't work for me. Some logical drive letters seemed to back up
    > fine, others didn't. So I have a portion of the files backed up,
    > but the hard drive won't boot - Linux Red Hat 9 complains that
    > /boot has a 1-byte size difference compared to what is in the
    > Master Boot Record. Whereas Windows XP boots up to the XP logo,
    > but that's all it shows - it doesn't give me the normal password prompt.

    Correct. If you restore the image of the SystemRoot disk of Windows, you must
    either:

    a) also restore the MBR, so that the new disk will have the same MBR Signature
    and the SystemRoot partition will have the same offset

    or

    b) mount the SYSTEM registry of _this restored Windows image_ on some another
    computer and patch the MountedDevices value manually, so it will be the same
    drive letter as the original disk was.

    Windows assigns the drive letters on "mountdev ID" basis, and the "mountdev ID"
    of the usual disk partition on an MBR disk is - 12bytes, 4byte MBR signature of
    the disk, then 8byte partition offset (in bytes IIRC).

    The HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices registry contains the table of the drive letters
    in the form of:

    \DosDevices\C: REG_BINARY: mountdev ID
    \DosDevices\D: REG_BINARY: mountdev ID
    \DosDevices\E: REG_BINARY: mountdev ID

    and so on.

    If you will not patch this in the new restored Windows disk - then it will boot
    and will assign itself as, for instance, T:, while all pathnames of services,
    Windows user mode components and COM objects (including the shell components) -
    are starting from C:\. This is a major failure, the system seems to be up, but
    you cannot log on.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

  2. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    > Correct. If you restore the image of the SystemRoot disk of Windows, you
    must
    > either:

    Are you talking about restoring a disk image or a partition image?

  3. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    > > Correct. If you restore the image of the SystemRoot disk of Windows, you
    > must
    > > either:

    > Are you talking about restoring a disk image or a partition image?

    Partition. With disk image, all is fine.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation
    maxim@storagecraft.com
    http://www.storagecraft.com

  4. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    > > > Correct. If you restore the image of the SystemRoot disk of Windows,
    you
    > > must
    > > > either:

    > > Are you talking about restoring a disk image or a partition image?

    > Partition. With disk image, all is fine.

    Exactly. It wasn't clear when you have used "image of the SystemRoot disk of
    Windows" phrase.

  5. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    > Exactly. It wasn't clear when you have used "image of the SystemRoot disk of
    > Windows" phrase.

    Yes, my usage of the word "disk" was bad here. Should be - "partition" or
    "volume". "Disk" is usually the physical disk.

    SystemRoot is the startup directory of Windows - C:\WINNT, C:\WINDOWS or such.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation
    maxim@storagecraft.com