Re: How do you backup a small network of computers? - Storage

This is a discussion on Re: How do you backup a small network of computers? - Storage ; > That function is in your imaging software which runs on a CLIENT system, not > storage device. > I boot my client systems with a custom CD, which does a full client PC > disk(s) image(s) to a server ...

  1. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    > That function is in your imaging software which runs on a CLIENT system, not
    > storage device.
    > I boot my client systems with a custom CD, which does a full client PC
    > disk(s) image(s) to a server storage. Unattended image completion and
    > shutdown. Another version of it can restart client system after imaging.

    I'm interested in your custom CD. Please tell me more about it.

    Thanks
    Doug

  2. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    > > That function is in your imaging software which runs on a CLIENT system,
    not
    > > storage device.
    > > I boot my client systems with a custom CD, which does a full client PC
    > > disk(s) image(s) to a server storage. Unattended image completion and
    > > shutdown. Another version of it can restart client system after imaging.

    > I'm interested in your custom CD. Please tell me more about it.

    Custom CD is based on WinPE. It automakes connection to a server share.
    Enumerates local hard drives and launches ghost32 unattended image dump for
    each of them. Then, shuts down PC. This version works for ghost supported
    filesystems only.

  3. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    Peter wrote:
    > > > That function is in your imaging software which runs on a CLIENT system,

    > not
    > > > storage device.
    > > > I boot my client systems with a custom CD, which does a full client PC
    > > > disk(s) image(s) to a server storage. Unattended image completion and
    > > > shutdown. Another version of it can restart client system after imaging.

    > > I'm interested in your custom CD. Please tell me more about it.

    > Custom CD is based on WinPE. It automakes connection to a server share.
    > Enumerates local hard drives and launches ghost32 unattended image dump for
    > each of them. Then, shuts down PC. This version works for ghost supported
    > filesystems only.

    Thanks for the additional information.

    Doug

  4. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    Peter wrote:
    > > > That function is in your imaging software which runs on a CLIENT system,

    > not
    > > > storage device.
    > > > I boot my client systems with a custom CD, which does a full client PC
    > > > disk(s) image(s) to a server storage. Unattended image completion and
    > > > shutdown. Another version of it can restart client system after imaging.

    > > I'm interested in your custom CD. Please tell me more about it.

    > Custom CD is based on WinPE. It automakes connection to a server share.
    > Enumerates local hard drives and launches ghost32 unattended image dump for
    > each of them.

    What prog did you use to write that? Some kind of scripting?
    Automating GUI clicking?
    This isn't a function of Ghost, or anything that is always a part of
    WinPE.
    Norton Ghost v9 is all GUI afaik (but my knowledge don't go far!).

    >Then, shuts down PC.

    VB?! or some other little EXE your script runs?

  5. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    > > Custom CD is based on WinPE. It automakes connection to a server share.
    > > Enumerates local hard drives and launches ghost32 unattended image dump

    for
    > > each of them.

    > What prog did you use to write that? Some kind of scripting?
    > Automating GUI clicking?
    > This isn't a function of Ghost, or anything that is always a part of
    > WinPE.
    > Norton Ghost v9 is all GUI afaik (but my knowledge don't go far!).
    >

    > >Then, shuts down PC.

    > VB?! or some other little EXE your script runs?

    A small tip: ghost32.exe
    Another one: BartPE

  6. Re: How do you backup a small network of computers?

    wrote in message
    news:1133375004.372997.302580@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...

    > > Custom CD is based on WinPE. It automakes connection to a server share.
    > > Enumerates local hard drives and launches ghost32 unattended image dump for
    > > each of them.

    > What prog did you use to write that? Some kind of scripting?
    > Automating GUI clicking?
    > This isn't a function of Ghost, or anything that is always a part of
    > WinPE.
    > Norton Ghost v9 is all GUI afaik (but my knowledge don't go far!).

    Ghost32 is part of Ghost 7/8 enterprise. It is scriptable.

    Too bad it never was part of end-user versions. I found the EXE with google.

+ Reply to Thread