cpio question - Storage

This is a discussion on cpio question - Storage ; Hi, How does the -E filename work with cpio? By example, I had an archive with about 5500 files in it of which I only needed three hundred. I am thinking that the command: cpio -iv -E filename or similiar ...

  1. cpio question

    Hi,
    How does the -E filename work with cpio? By example, I had an archive
    with about 5500 files in it of which I only needed three hundred. I am
    thinking that the command:

    cpio -iv -E filename < /dev/st0

    or similiar would extract only the files listed in 'filename'. Is this
    the correct assumption? I have tried this and it did nothing. I am
    guessing that my 'filename' is in an incorrect format. Last try it
    looked like this:

    /dir/filename
    /dir/dirfilename
    etc...

    Any pointers someone can offer me. I am pretty sure it will be
    something obvious that I am overlooking. Thanks.

    Robert

  2. Re: cpio question

    Your pattern file format is fine. It uses the shell globbing format,
    giving a complete file path per line (terminated with newline) should
    work.

    You might want to use the '-d' flag to make it create any missing
    parent directories though, your example would fail when the current
    directory does not have a '/dir/' directory.

  3. Re: cpio question

    thanks very much

+ Reply to Thread