SAN Disaster Recovery - Storage

This is a discussion on SAN Disaster Recovery - Storage ; I'm installing another SAN in a remote office to mirror the data from my main corporate SAN to the remote office. I only have to go about 1 mile and wondered, could I use my existing Multi-mode dark fibre (300m) ...

  1. SAN Disaster Recovery

    I'm installing another SAN in a remote office to mirror the data from
    my main corporate SAN to the remote office. I only have to go about 1

    mile and wondered, could I use my existing Multi-mode dark fibre (300m)

    with repeaters to extend the distance to the other builiding? I could
    then connect a fibre port (GBIC) on each side to create an ISL
    connection between the two switches. This seems rather simplistic, so

    I wondered if others could share their experiences with remote site
    mirroring. What worked, what didn't? What would be the optimal
    equipment on each end to mirror the data for Disaster Recovery? SCSI
    routers?

  2. Re: SAN Disaster Recovery

    Reno,

    One mile is not very long. To convince yourself, consider taking some
    link loss measurements prior to designing in equipment. You can
    compare the power received to the minimum power requirement listed in
    the GBIC datasheet. Give yourself some margin (~20% ?) You can use
    single mode lasers on multi mode fiber as well. This will provide you
    much better power density and less dispersion. I would still verify the
    power at each end of the link.

    I am a fan of not connecting SANs together via E-Port over distance. I
    would opt for the Cisco/VSAN/FCIP or McDATA/iFCP route. Both are great
    solutions and should be considered.

    McDATA has a 4 port box (2FC & 2IP) and is packed full of features. It
    is a little cumbersome to set up but will provide you the domain
    isoloation you are (should) be looking for. The product is the Eclipse
    1620.

    Cisco has an IP services blade but requires you to purchase a 2 blade
    chassis. I'm not sure if they have made a small appliance like McDATA.
    It may be a little more expensive up front but may be a fit if you
    have some expansion ahead.

    You should be ok with either of these solutions. I would not consider a
    pure tunneling solution.

    Rob

    Reno wrote:
    > I'm installing another SAN in a remote office to mirror the data from
    > my main corporate SAN to the remote office. I only have to go about 1
    >
    > mile and wondered, could I use my existing Multi-mode dark fibre (300m)
    >
    > with repeaters to extend the distance to the other builiding? I could
    > then connect a fibre port (GBIC) on each side to create an ISL
    > connection between the two switches. This seems rather simplistic, so
    >
    > I wondered if others could share their experiences with remote site
    > mirroring. What worked, what didn't? What would be the optimal
    > equipment on each end to mirror the data for Disaster Recovery? SCSI
    > routers?

  3. Re: SAN Disaster Recovery

    How are you planning on mirroring your data ? I take it you want to do
    some array-based mirroring relying on fibre channel connectivity ? What
    would you want to use your mirror on the remote site for ?

    The main problem with using an ISL connection between two fabrics is
    events disrupt both fabrics. In most environments, that is a serious
    problem. McData Eclipses (aka Nishans) provide a good solution because
    they use the iFCP protocol to explicitly NOT do the ISL thing, but make
    remote devices somehow show up in the local SNS service.

  4. Re: SAN Disaster Recovery

    You may be able to just slap a few long wave gbics on both sides and be
    fine. I think you can go 500 meters with those. I have done that for
    other customers in the opast and it workd out fine.

+ Reply to Thread