Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt - Storage

This is a discussion on Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt - Storage ; Hi! Can someone help me with this? Yesterday I was using a data recovery software, while Winamp is running, suddenly the machine turned off, after that it won't boot. My hard drive has some bad sectors and later I found ...

  1. Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    Hi!
    Can someone help me with this? Yesterday I was using a data recovery
    software, while Winamp is running, suddenly the machine turned off,
    after that it won't boot.

    My hard drive has some bad sectors and later I found out that the
    RAM was also a little bit faulty, It was replaced. Later I booted the
    machine with another HD, then the system(XP) detected the faulty drive,
    But it didn't have partitions in it. Then I used Partition Magic 7.0,
    It showed the disk, But It shows the whole drive as Unallocated and I
    tried a data recovery software (a demo version of Handy Recovery), It
    showed partitions and files as recoverable and then I tried Seagate's
    SeaTools It stated Invalid MBR.

    I think the problem is possibly a corrupt MBR or Partition table or
    Bootsector and a little possibility of a boot sector virus. What can
    Ido? There are alot of tools for restoring MBR's, But I haven't got a
    Backup of it. I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and I have used Partition
    Magic 8.0 in the faulty disk, I have used Partition Magic several times
    to resize partitions. Does any of these or any other software store a
    copy of MBR in the disk or registry. Because on a MBR access Norton AV
    warns and I think it replaces it if needed and I think When Partition
    Magic does tasks it replaces the MBR with a temporary one and when the
    task is done it replaces the original one. Does Windows FDISK's fixmbr,
    fixboot commands restores the previous MBR or just rewrites them.
    What's the software that could help me? Please help me!

  2. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    Manual bytewise analyzis and the DSKPROBE tool from Windows Support Tools.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    wrote in message
    news:1131727823.938440.18260@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi!
    > Can someone help me with this? Yesterday I was using a data recovery
    > software, while Winamp is running, suddenly the machine turned off,
    > after that it won't boot.
    >
    > My hard drive has some bad sectors and later I found out that the
    > RAM was also a little bit faulty, It was replaced. Later I booted the
    > machine with another HD, then the system(XP) detected the faulty drive,
    > But it didn't have partitions in it. Then I used Partition Magic 7.0,
    > It showed the disk, But It shows the whole drive as Unallocated and I
    > tried a data recovery software (a demo version of Handy Recovery), It
    > showed partitions and files as recoverable and then I tried Seagate's
    > SeaTools It stated Invalid MBR.
    >
    > I think the problem is possibly a corrupt MBR or Partition table or
    > Bootsector and a little possibility of a boot sector virus. What can
    > Ido? There are alot of tools for restoring MBR's, But I haven't got a
    > Backup of it. I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and I have used Partition
    > Magic 8.0 in the faulty disk, I have used Partition Magic several times
    > to resize partitions. Does any of these or any other software store a
    > copy of MBR in the disk or registry. Because on a MBR access Norton AV
    > warns and I think it replaces it if needed and I think When Partition
    > Magic does tasks it replaces the MBR with a temporary one and when the
    > task is done it replaces the original one. Does Windows FDISK's fixmbr,
    > fixboot commands restores the previous MBR or just rewrites them.
    > What's the software that could help me? Please help me!

  3. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    xtoned@gmail.com wrote

    > Can someone help me with this? Yesterday I was using
    > a data recovery software, while Winamp is running,
    > suddenly the machine turned off, after that it won't boot.

    That is usually a hardware failure.

    > My hard drive has some bad sectors and later I found out that the
    > RAM was also a little bit faulty, It was replaced. Later I booted the
    > machine with another HD, then the system(XP) detected the faulty
    > drive, But it didn't have partitions in it. Then I used Partition
    > Magic 7.0, It showed the disk, But It shows the whole drive as
    > Unallocated and I tried a data recovery software (a demo version
    > of Handy Recovery), It showed partitions and files as recoverable
    > and then I tried Seagate's SeaTools It stated Invalid MBR.

    Which may well just indicate that the sector it occupys is flakey.

    > I think the problem is possibly a corrupt MBR or Partition table or
    > Bootsector and a little possibility of a boot sector virus. What can Ido?

    > There are alot of tools for restoring MBR's, But I haven't got a Backup of it.

    You dont necessarily need one if you know the partition structure,
    particularly if there was just one partition for the entire drive.

    > I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and I have used Partition Magic
    > 8.0 in the faulty disk, I have used Partition Magic several times
    > to resize partitions. Does any of these or any other software
    > store a copy of MBR in the disk

    Yes, some recovery software can handle bad a MBR
    and some recovery software can recover some files
    without the MBR being available.

    > or registry. Because on a MBR access Norton
    > AV warns and I think it replaces it if needed

    Only if you have use NAV previously and its saved a copy of it.

    > and I think When Partition Magic does tasks it replaces the MBR with
    > a temporary one and when the task is done it replaces the original one.
    > Does Windows FDISK's fixmbr, fixboot commands restores the previous MBR

    Nope.

    > or just rewrites them.

    Yep.

    > What's the software that could help me? Please help me!

    I'd try Easy Recovery Pro, but it aint free.

  4. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    Yes, I have Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro 6.0, Would it work?

  5. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    And Where does Norton Antivirus (v.2002) store the MBR?

  6. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    Hi!
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I've Easy Recovery Pro 6.0, Would it work? I
    tried it but after some point I thought It wouldn't work and closed it.
    Have you tried it? And where do you think Norton AV 2002 would store
    the MBR?
    Thanks!

  7. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    xtoned@gmail.com wrote

    > Yes I've Easy Recovery Pro 6.0, Would it work?

    Try it and see.

    > I tried it but after some point I thought It
    > wouldn't work and closed it. Have you tried it?

    Yes. But not on your drive obviously.

    > And where do you think Norton AV 2002 would store the MBR?

    Dunno, havent bothered to check. From memory
    you get to specify that, and can put it on floppy etc.

  8. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message news:3tk5k5Ft97avU1@individual.net
    > xtoned@gmail.com wrote
    >
    > > Can someone help me with this? Yesterday I was using
    > > a data recovery software, while Winamp is running,
    > > suddenly the machine turned off, after that it won't boot.

    > That is usually a hardware failure.

    Or a software failure.

    > > My hard drive has some bad sectors and later I found out that the
    > > RAM was also a little bit faulty, It was replaced. Later I booted the
    > > machine with another HD, then the system(XP) detected the faulty
    > > drive, But it didn't have partitions in it. Then I used Partition
    > > Magic 7.0, It showed the disk, But It shows the whole drive as
    > > Unallocated and I tried a data recovery software (a demo version
    > > of Handy Recovery), It showed partitions and files as recoverable
    > > and then I tried Seagate's SeaTools It stated Invalid MBR.

    > Which may well just indicate that the sector it occupys is flakey.

    Or just "Invalid".

    > > I think the problem is possibly a corrupt MBR or Partition table or

    Which is the same, basically.

    > > Bootsector and a little possibility of a boot sector virus. What can I do?

    > > There are alot of tools for restoring MBR's, But I haven't got a Backup of it.

    > You dont necessarily need one if you know the partition structure,

    > particularly if there was just one partition for the entire drive.

    The process is no different.

    > > I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and I have used Partition Magic
    > > 8.0 in the faulty disk, I have used Partition Magic several times
    > > to resize partitions.

    > > Does any of these or any other software store a copy of MBR in the disk

    > Yes, some recovery software can handle bad a MBR
    > and some recovery software can recover some files
    > without the MBR being available.

    (What's the difference) (And no, that wasn't the question).

    And some software just restores the MBR so you don't need any
    additional (file)recovery software at all.

    > > or registry. Because on a MBR access Norton
    > > AV warns and I think it replaces it if needed

    > Only if you have use NAV previously and its saved a copy of it.
    >
    > > and I think When Partition Magic does tasks it replaces the MBR with
    > > a temporary one and when the task is done it replaces the original one.

    > > Does Windows FDISK's fixmbr, fixboot commands restores the previous MBR

    > Nope.

    (Half)Wrong.

    > > or just rewrites them.

    > Yep.

    Nope. It restores the code part. It leaves the partition table alone.

    > > What's the software that could help me? Please help me!

    > I'd try Easy Recovery Pro, but it aint free.

    ResqDisk or FindPart + PTEdit.

  9. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    Some ****wit pseudokraut claiming to be
    Folkert Rienstra wrote just
    the pathetic excuse for a troll that's all it can ever manage.

  10. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    Rod Speed wrote:
    | Some ****wit pseudokraut claiming to be
    | Folkert Rienstra wrote just
    | the pathetic excuse for a troll that's all it can ever manage.

    Hah ha! NO need for combats guys.

    Coz, Just now I fixed the system. I just inserted the Norton Sysworks
    2004 cd, It had
    an Autorun which allowed to run utililties without installing it. I ran
    the Disk doctor, It
    said There's an invalid partition table and asked whether it should fix
    it by searching
    the faulty disk for partitions, Then I rebooted and Right now Iam
    posting this message
    from the same system I had 3 days ago, still I haven't even installed
    Norton Systemworks.
    No matter what stuff from Norton are the best!

  11. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    xtoned@gmail.com wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    > Just now I fixed the system. I just inserted the Norton Sysworks
    > 2004 cd, It had an Autorun which allowed to run utililties without
    > installing it. I ran the Disk doctor, It said There's an invalid partition
    > table and asked whether it should fix it by searching the faulty
    > disk for partitions, Then I rebooted and Right now I am posting
    > this message from the same system I had 3 days ago,

    Thanks for that feedback.

    > still I haven't even installed Norton Systemworks.

    I wouldnt, personally, it molests a system pretty comprehensively.

    > No matter what stuff from Norton are the best!

    Some have found it screws the drive much worse than it was.

  12. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    xtoned@gmail.com wrote:

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    > | Some ****wit pseudokraut claiming to be
    > | Folkert Rienstra wrote just
    > | the pathetic excuse for a troll that's all it can ever manage.
    >
    > Hah ha! NO need for combats guys.
    >
    > Coz, Just now I fixed the system. I just inserted the Norton Sysworks
    > 2004 cd, It had
    > an Autorun which allowed to run utililties without installing it. I ran
    > the Disk doctor, It
    > said There's an invalid partition table and asked whether it should fix
    > it by searching
    > the faulty disk for partitions, Then I rebooted and Right now Iam
    > posting this message
    > from the same system I had 3 days ago, still I haven't even installed
    > Norton Systemworks.
    > No matter what stuff from Norton are the best!

    Is that why very, very few professionals use Norton products?

    Odie
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

  13. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    wrote in message news:1131886942.634961.67830@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    > > Some ****wit pseudokraut claiming to be
    > > Folkert Rienstra wrote just
    > > the pathetic excuse for a troll that's all it can ever manage.

    > Hah ha! NO need for combats guys.
    >
    > Coz, Just now I fixed the system. I just inserted the Norton Sysworks
    > 2004 cd, It had
    > an Autorun which allowed to run utililties without installing it. I ran
    > the Disk doctor, It
    > said There's an invalid partition table and asked whether it should fix
    > it by searching
    > the faulty disk for partitions, Then I rebooted and Right now Iam
    > posting this message
    > from the same system I had 3 days ago, still I haven't even installed
    > Norton Systemworks.

    > No matter what stuff from Norton are the best!

    I'll bet it can't fix your broken newsclient.

  14. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    Try Seagate's own data recovery service (no conflict of interest
    there). www.seagate.com

  15. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    > > Rod Speed wrote

    > > still I haven't even installed Norton Systemworks.

    > I wouldnt, personally, it molests a system pretty comprehensively.
    >
    > > No matter what stuff from Norton are the best!

    > Some have found it screws the drive much worse than it was.

    Could be, But not mine. Coz, It had the only thing that could bring
    back my whole system back as it was, But I didn't install the
    Systemworks, But Norton Antivirus couldn't be beaten. And Goback is
    another magic software like no other. But other utilities could be
    found as freeware with additional features, So It's true, It's not a
    must for every system to waste memory and disk space. But they are a
    collection that is favoured by most.

  16. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    No computer professional recommends Norton/Symantec crap.

    "shanX" wrote in message
    news:1132674724.459464.99900@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...

    > Could be, But not mine. Coz, It had the only thing that could bring
    > back my whole system back as it was, But I didn't install the
    > Systemworks, But Norton Antivirus couldn't be beaten. And Goback is
    > another magic software like no other. But other utilities could be
    > found as freeware with additional features, So It's true, It's not a
    > must for every system to waste memory and disk space. But they are a
    > collection that is favoured by most.

  17. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    shanX wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> still I haven't even installed Norton Systemworks.

    >> I wouldnt, personally, it molests a system pretty comprehensively.

    >>> No matter what stuff from Norton are the best!

    >> Some have found it screws the drive much worse than it was.

    > Could be, But not mine.

    Sure, it wouldnt have got out into the field if
    it screwed every single drive it was used on.

    > Coz, It had the only thing that could bring
    > back my whole system back as it was,

    You didnt try all that many tho.

    > But I didn't install the Systemworks,
    > But Norton Antivirus couldn't be beaten.

    Many find others like AVG work better.

    > And Goback is another magic software like no other.

    That's overstating it too.

    > But other utilities could be found as freeware with
    > additional features, So It's true, It's not a must for
    > every system to waste memory and disk space.
    > But they are a collection that is favoured by most.

    By most is overstating it too. Particularly with Disk Doctor.

  18. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    "Eric Gisin" writes:

    > No computer professional recommends Norton/Symantec crap.

    May I respectfully cry "bull****?"

    Symantec Antivirus 9 is the corporate desktop antivirus standard of a
    lot Fortune 100 enterprises including IBM.

    That's not to say it's the best product out there or that
    Norton/Symantec don't have their turkeys in the product line, but to
    say that no computer professional recommends Norton/Symantec products
    is quite an asinine statement.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  19. Re: Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

    "shanX" wrote in message news:1132674724.459464.99900@g14g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com
    > > > Rod Speed wrote

    > > > still I haven't even installed Norton Systemworks.

    > > I wouldnt, personally, it molests a system pretty comprehensively.
    > >
    > > > No matter what stuff from Norton are the best!

    > > Some have found it screws the drive much worse than it was.

    > Could be, But not mine. Coz,

    > It had the only thing that could bring
    > back my whole system back as it was,

    So does Resqit.

    > But I didn't install the Systemworks, But Norton Antivirus couldn't be beaten.
    > And Goback is another magic software like no other.
    > But other utilities could be found as freeware with additional features,
    > So It's true, It's not a must for every system to waste memory and disk space.
    > But they are a collection that is favoured by most.

    Is "but" a stop word (uh, start word) for you? Are you a 'But' man?

+ Reply to Thread