Cheapest Backup Solution? - Storage

This is a discussion on Cheapest Backup Solution? - Storage ; I am looking for the cheapest backup software solution for Windows networks that meets these criteria: - Uses tape libraries that run AIT2, AIT3, LTO2, and LTO3 drives, specifically ADIC Scalar 100 and Overland Neo 4100 (yes, I know the ...

  1. Cheapest Backup Solution?

    I am looking for the cheapest backup software solution for Windows networks
    that meets these criteria:

    - Uses tape libraries that run AIT2, AIT3, LTO2, and LTO3 drives,
    specifically ADIC Scalar 100 and Overland Neo 4100 (yes, I know the latter
    doesn't support AIT)

    - Works flawlessly over a SAN

    - Includes a remote agent capability that does NOT rely on Microsoft
    networking and uses a pure TCP/IP interface that can travel easily through
    properly-configured firewalls

    - Includes very strong media management capabilities, such as the ability to
    maintain a grandfather-father-child scheme and produce clear reports
    indicating when to take particular tapes out of the library, when to recycle
    specific tapes, etc.

    - Cost per computer under $50 for up to about 25 computers. Some of the
    low-end packages like Veritas Backup Exec are charging $150 or more per
    remote agent, which considering how primitive it is makes it pretty
    expensive.

    What are the best options for the budget and features specified above?

    --
    Will
    westes AT earthbroadcast.com

  2. Re: Cheapest Backup Solution?

    You're not going to find anything cheap that meets all these criteria. All
    vendors require extra licensing for autochanger support. As for SAN, I
    assume you mean dynamically sharing the tape library among your SAN-attached
    hosts, right? That's definately extra cost. Basically you're dreaming if
    you think this is will come in under $50 per server. I recommend Legato
    NetWorker if you can overcome the budget issue.

    "Will" wrote in message
    >I am looking for the cheapest backup software solution for Windows networks
    > that meets these criteria:
    >
    > - Uses tape libraries that run AIT2, AIT3, LTO2, and LTO3 drives,
    > specifically ADIC Scalar 100 and Overland Neo 4100 (yes, I know the latter
    > doesn't support AIT)
    >
    > - Works flawlessly over a SAN
    >
    > - Includes a remote agent capability that does NOT rely on Microsoft
    > networking and uses a pure TCP/IP interface that can travel easily through
    > properly-configured firewalls
    >
    > - Includes very strong media management capabilities, such as the ability
    > maintain a grandfather-father-child scheme and produce clear reports
    > indicating when to take particular tapes out of the library, when to
    > recycle
    > specific tapes, etc.
    >
    > - Cost per computer under $50 for up to about 25 computers. Some of the
    > low-end packages like Veritas Backup Exec are charging $150 or more per
    > remote agent, which considering how primitive it is makes it pretty
    > expensive.
    >
    > What are the best options for the budget and features specified above?
    >
    > --
    > Will
    > westes AT earthbroadcast.com

  3. Re: Cheapest Backup Solution?

    So far EMC/Dantz Retrospect 7 is coming very close to my price target,
    unless I don't understand the pricing model. With so much competition in
    the backup space, I just can't believe that there are not a few good
    packages coming in at just over $50/server.

    --

    "Susan Doucette" wrote in message
    > You're not going to find anything cheap that meets all these criteria.

    All
    > vendors require extra licensing for autochanger support. As for SAN, I
    > assume you mean dynamically sharing the tape library among your

    SAN-attached
    > hosts, right? That's definately extra cost. Basically you're dreaming if
    > you think this is will come in under $50 per server. I recommend Legato
    > NetWorker if you can overcome the budget issue.

  4. Re: Cheapest Backup Solution?

    "Susan Doucette" writes:
    > You're not going to find anything cheap that meets all these criteria. All
    > vendors require extra licensing for autochanger support. As for SAN, I
    > assume you mean dynamically sharing the tape library among your SAN-attached
    > hosts, right? That's definately extra cost. Basically you're dreaming if
    > you think this is will come in under $50 per server. I recommend Legato
    > NetWorker if you can overcome the budget issue.

    I thought the OP wanted under $50 per client, not per server.

    Is the autochanger that big a deal? I thought those tape robots just
    used fairly simple, standardized commands.

  5. Re: Cheapest Backup Solution?

    "Paul Rubin" skrev i meddelandet
    > "Susan Doucette" writes:
    >> You're not going to find anything cheap that meets all these criteria.
    >> All
    >> vendors require extra licensing for autochanger support. As for SAN, I
    >> assume you mean dynamically sharing the tape library among your
    >> SAN-attached
    >> hosts, right? That's definately extra cost. Basically you're dreaming
    >> if
    >> you think this is will come in under $50 per server. I recommend Legato
    >> NetWorker if you can overcome the budget issue.

    > I thought the OP wanted under $50 per client, not per server.
    >
    > Is the autochanger that big a deal? I thought those tape robots just
    > used fairly simple, standardized commands.

    In this context (backup software) client means server, ie each server is a
    client to the backup server.

    The robots use fairly simply, standardized commands indeed. Vendors tend to
    charge for the value of the functionality, real, percieved or otherwise.
    Using an autochanger is more value, hence they charge for it.
    Although unless I'm mistaken, Veritas Backup Exec includes a one drive
    autochanger in the base server license. You have to license additional
    drives though.

  6. Re: Cheapest Backup Solution?

    Paul Rubin writes:

    > Is the autochanger that big a deal? I thought those tape robots
    > just used fairly simple, standardized commands.

    They do. On FreeBSD you can write your own autoloader using the ch(4)
    device and the chio(1). On Solaris you can download and compile 'mtx'
    yourself.

    The trick is integrating it with 3rd party back up software.

    --
    David Magda

  7. Re: Cheapest Backup Solution?

    David Magda writes:
    > They do. On FreeBSD you can write your own autoloader using the ch(4)
    > device and the chio(1). On Solaris you can download and compile 'mtx'
    > yourself.
    >
    > The trick is integrating it with 3rd party back up software.

    Oh cool. Next thing I wonder is, what does that 3rd party backup
    software really do, that needs more than a couple of simple perl
    scripts to accomplish? They charge big bucks for it and there must be
    a reason.

  8. Re: Cheapest Backup Solution?

    "Paul Rubin" wrote in message
    > David Magda writes:
    >> They do. On FreeBSD you can write your own autoloader using the ch(4)
    >> device and the chio(1). On Solaris you can download and compile 'mtx'
    >> yourself.
    >>
    >> The trick is integrating it with 3rd party back up software.

    > Oh cool. Next thing I wonder is, what does that 3rd party backup
    > software really do, that needs more than a couple of simple perl
    > scripts to accomplish? They charge big bucks for it and there must be
    > a reason.

    They maintain a database to remember which tape contains which piece of data
    and from that they automate picking the right tape. They also offer other
    functionality like integration with databases like SQL, Oracle, DB2,
    Exchange, with NAS devices like NetApp Filers to run NDMP, with open file
    managers, with SAN devices etc.

    The basics of a backup package are not that hard. You pay for the advanced
    functionality that make your life easy. Backup is an insurance policy. If
    you pay the lowest fee possible, expect to have difficulty collecting when
    disaster strikes.

    Have you looked at Amanda for backup? Integrates with mtx and can handle
    both Unix and Windows clients. http://www.amanda.org/

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread